Author Topic: Strikemaster Magnum 3 Auger  (Read 3402 times)

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Strikemaster Magnum 3 Auger
« on: Nov 24, 2017, 12:19 PM »
Wondering who on here has had one of these augers and if you’d care to share your opinion of it..... Had one given to me and after fixing a leak on the fuel side and changing plug it starts easily with feathering the gas just a bit on full choke when cold. Is that normal and if so how do these perform when drilling holes?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Strikemaster Magnum 3 Auger
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2017, 12:42 PM »
Try this to clean out some of the gunk in the carb

Fill auger tank 1/4 w/proper oil/gas mix to that add Seafoam 2oz or more ...mix ....run auger till warmed up...then kill motor via the choke .....let sit half hour repeat ...let sit over night ...should fix some of the woes .

good air filter cleaning couldn't hurt ...you should be fine once you get it going ...what drill bit on it 8"? Lazer or Chipper?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2017, 12:51 PM »
Good place for parts

http://drockicecenter.com/

blade sharping

https://www.fish307.com/auger-blade-sharpening/

my buddies and I have several old 2hp SM Mag 2000...and some of them for an unknown reason developed some leaks around the inlet connector ...hard to see..more off a seeping crack

http://www.drockicecenter.com/640363-fuel-inlet-elbow/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2017, 01:16 PM »
Didn’t measure but looks like an 8” chipper blade, for some reason he had the inside (lowermost) screw out of the attachment hole and just up against the flute if the auger .... is that on old truck to get it to cut better or should it be put back?

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2017, 01:21 PM »
Yes, that’s the connector I replaced to fix the leak, mine as cracked also.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2017, 01:26 PM »
Didn’t measure but looks like an 8” chipper blade, for some reason he had the inside (lowermost) screw out of the attachment hole and just up against the flute if the auger .... is that on old truck to get it to cut better or should it be put back?

Not a trick I am familiar with...should be able to find a 8 in chipper blade and bolts fairly easy .Make sure you insall them properly

https://www.strikemaster.com/strikemaster/auger-blades-and-guards/power-ice-auger-blades-and-guards/chipper-replacement-blade/Chipper+Replacement+Blade.html

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2017, 08:29 PM »
I have one from 1992. Still cuts fine.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2017, 09:22 PM »
Those Tecumseh engines are really hard to beat...

I had one, bought it cheap for a backup, but sold it because I came to realize, my Eskimo (with the same engine) didn't need a backup.. Still killing it, approaching 30 years old...

<°)))>{

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2017, 10:37 AM »
Thanks for the replies... I want to get a new blade and use the one I have as a backup, but I have a question.... I measure 4” from center point to edge of drill so I’d need to 8.25” blades, correct? The reason I’m kinda confused is I saw a 7” blade available and the blade I have measures 3.5”. Also, when remounting the blade, does it get placed on the top or bottom of the drill flute?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2017, 10:41 AM »
Thanks for the replies... I want to get a new blade and use the one I have as a backup, but I have a question.... I measure 4” from center point to edge of drill so I’d need to 8.25” blades, correct? The reason I’m kinda confused is I saw a 7” blade available and the blade I have measures 3.5”. Also, when remounting the blade, does it get placed on the top or bottom of the drill flute?

that Strikemaster link has a picture ...bolts from bottom through auger drill unit ...through chipper blade

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2017, 11:02 AM »
Nice thing about chipper blades they're easy to sharpen yourself. A fine file a little oil and keep the same angle. Mine are razor sharp really helps cutting speed.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2017, 02:34 PM »
Ok, for those with experience with these engines, does this look/sound like it’s in tune? Seems to sound a little fast at idle to me but I’ve not messed with these before.... smoking when at full throttle is not bad but more than just a little bit.... any advice guys? Thanks for all the help so far!

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2017, 02:41 PM »
Well, can’t post the video right now...

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2017, 02:48 PM »
Thanks Hardwater Diehard... should’ve paid more attention.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2017, 02:48 PM »
While at an idle does the auger bit turn? Does it respond fast when your give it full throttle or does it bog some ?

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/tecumseh/Tecumseh_2-Cycle_Engines_Service_Information.pdf

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2017, 02:50 PM »
Auger does not turn at idle, micro second hesitation when I give it full throttle. Thanks for all the help, would really like to have it ready to go when ice gets here so I don’t have to mess with it in the ice.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2017, 03:00 PM »
Auger does not turn at idle, micro second hesitation when I give it full throttle. Thanks for all the help, would really like to have it ready to go when ice gets here so I don’t have to mess with it in the ice.

Sounds like your race ready ...once again SeaFoam is awesome ...I don't dry store my auger either ...better to run it every month or so in the off season ... a new chipper blade and send the other out to be sharpened and wait for ice good luck

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2017, 03:04 PM »
FWIW..

This is my Eskimo with the TC III engine, pretty much same thing as a Strikemaster  Mag III...

This is about the best its ever run 22" of ice..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1MWRyYBSw00

<°)))>{

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2017, 03:09 PM »
Thanks for the link to the pdf, I’ll give that a try and see where I’m at.

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2017, 03:15 PM »
Ice scratcher, thanks for the video, can only hope this one cuts that well.... Hardwater, adjusts per the pdf, no more hesitation.... thanks for the help... one last question, if I measure 4” from outside dill flute to center point, that would be an 8” correct? Realize this may sound stupid, by saw online where 7” blades are available and the blade itself measures 3.5”.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2017, 03:38 PM »
Just measured my blade ...its 3 1/2 inches across the cutting edge ...has 5 notchs...and bolt holes are approx.an 1 9/16 on center..this is off my 8 inch SM Mag chipper.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2017, 03:40 PM »
Also the one pictured in the link is probably an 10 in chipper blade..has 7 notches

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 25, 2017, 04:38 PM »
Ice scratcher, thanks for the video, can only hope this one cuts that well....

Well it might not cut the same, but  hopefully it idles and runs similar... :)

<°)))>{

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 2017, 05:13 PM »
Thanks HD that helps, will order new blade and cover tonight, think it’s dialed in now with your help.... a bit faster idle and doesn’t sound
Like it’s missing and NO hesitation when giving it full throttle... much appreciated. thanks IS...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.