Author Topic: Panfish and bobbers  (Read 3389 times)

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Panfish and bobbers
« on: Jan 23, 2016, 07:12 PM »
Wondering how everyone sets up to fish panfish with bobbers. My 8 year old comes out a lot with me and when the crappie are on he's having a blast. When they shut down for a while and we jig is when he starts to get bored. I always set him up with the flasher in a hole stacked with fish, but he never has much luck jigging because he can't detect the hits. I've never ice fished with a bobber for panfish but I feel like if he can actually see a little bit of a strike he will be good. I have some size 14 trebles and I was just planning on using that with some spikes and a small split shot under the bobber.

Offline hyoi5

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Panfish and bobbers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2016, 07:33 PM »
Use bobber stops and a clip on styrofoam bobber. Works great and easy to set up. I put a link below to what they are. I don't use the plastic beads they come with (cause I don't know what they are for) but you take your line and feed it through the plactic sleeve that has the neon knot on it then slide the knot off the plastic sleeve onto your line and pull the 2 ends so the knot tightens on your string. Then just move it up or down you line til you get to the depth you want. If you use a light lure, you may want to snip the Styrofoam bobber a little otherwise I'll lay flat on the water and your kid won't see the bites as easily.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/j-r-hi-vis-bobber-stops-per-10/701931.uts?searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3FrecordsPerPage%3D18%26No%3D0%26N%3D0%26nl%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dbobber%252Bstops%26search%3DSearch&No=0&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=bobber+stops

Offline hyoi5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2016, 07:36 PM »
Here's the link to the bobbers. The bobber stop will reel up into your reel but the bobber will stay unto your hook gets out of the water so you don't need to be clipping it on and off

http://www.cabelas.com/product/today-s-tackle-ice-buster-bobbers-150-six-pack/1272807.uts?searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3FrecordsPerPage%3D18%26No%3D0%26N%3D0%26nl%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dbobber%26search%3DSearch&No=0&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=bobber

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2016, 07:43 PM »
Make or buy him a spring bobber. He'll focus in  on it like you won't believe.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2016, 07:49 PM »
A red-neck spring bobber can be fashioned from the spring, from some ball point pens.    :woot:

May I offer an explanation to the complete assembly/use of a bobber-stop?

After the bobber-stop is on the line, then a bead slides up beneath, then a slip-float/bobber.  Then the terminal tackle, swivel, hook, sinker, etc.

The tightly tied bobber-stop will then feed through the rod guides and onto the spool of the reel ~ the bead and float being down to the terminal tackle, allowing a favorable cast to a remote area. 

The terminal tackle sinks, pulling the line through the float until the bobber-stop hits the bead which then hits the float. That's the magic of depth control using a bobber-stop.     ;)2

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2016, 07:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I guess I really just wanted to know if anyone else fishes this way through the ice? I will have to put a spring bobber on for him tomorrow and let him try that. We will be in the shanty in shallow, clear water tomorrow though so he will be able to site fish which keeps anyone entertained for hours! He asked me tonight if we had enough minnows because we are going to be out there from morning to night lol. I just kind of chuckled because I know it will more than likely be a couple hours!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2016, 08:08 PM »
You could mess up his fishin' with hot cocoa.    ;)2

Good luck & stay safe.   
                                      :icefish:

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2016, 08:29 PM »
I'd tell him to learn how to fish without a bobber or stay home

Offline Dinosaur1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2016, 08:35 PM »
Yeah, rig him a slip bobber.

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2016, 08:41 PM »
X3 spring bobber
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2016, 08:42 PM »
No intent to hijack your topic, OneMoreFish.     :bow:

Just a little 'show & tell' for hyoi5.      :whistle:

I don't use the plastic beads they come with (cause I don't know what they are for) .

Offline RedShantyMi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2016, 09:02 PM »
Get an Aquavu and he will hooked for life😃

Offline hyoi5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2016, 09:18 PM »
Thanks Idahogator! Figured there was a logical use for it but never knew. Haha :) Never tried a spring bobber but I'm sure they would work well too. You can get bells too so when it gets slow, you don't have to pay as much attention,  you can just listen for it.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2016, 09:29 PM »
Glad to be of a bit of help.    ;)2      I see a need for my Game-ears on ice.      :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2016, 10:03 PM »
A spring bobber is the way to go in your case. with it on the rod he can slowly jig and the bobber will slowly move up and down. when a fish does bite (even lightly) there will be a disruption in the motion of the bobbers movement. once he learns to notice this slight change in movement he should start to catch fish. this is how I personally fish my spring bobber rod. there has been time the bite was so light I didn't feel it but seen it in the spring bobber and was able to make the catch. as for the foam bobbers I use them only as a dead stick set up when I want to have the extra line in the water but don't want to have to focus on it all the time. I normally only run a foam bobber set up if there is fish under me for a while. I would say for me I fish my spring bobber rod 99% of the times I go fishing.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2016, 12:45 AM »
A slip bobber is the way to go in your case. with it on the rod he can slowly jig and the bobber will slowly move up and down. when a fish does bite (even lightly) there will be a disruption in the motion of the bobbers movement. once he learns to notice this slight change in movement he should start to catch fish. this is how I personally fish my spring bobber rod. there has been time the bite was so light I didn't feel it but seen it in the spring bobber and was able to make the catch. as for the foam bobbers I use them only as a dead stick set up when I want to have the extra line in the water but don't want to have to focus on it all the time. I normally only run a foam bobber set up if there is fish under me for a while. I would say for me I fish my spring bobber rod 99% of the times I go fishing.
Yes this, it's been forever and I don't do it anymore.  It doesn't always have to be a bobber, it can be a large plastic bead as well.  I think the size around 8 mm will do.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2016, 03:45 AM »
I'd tell him to learn how to fish without a bobber or stay home

Real nice  ::)

I made some spring bobbers from my used guitar strings last year. He' ll love site fishing. I love site fishing. It's mesmerizing.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2016, 08:39 AM »
When targeting panfish especially crappies I would go with a spring bobber over a slip bobber. The reason being there will be times when they put slack in the line especially crappies. You won't see that with a bobber.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:23 AM »
Spring bobber for jigging. I use Bic lighter springs. For just a dead stick use the smallest Thill slider bobber you can get. Weight it so it barely sticks out of the water. Deadly on crappies. Let it go down under the edge of the ice and just start reeling. With sharp hooks you wont need to set the hook. Now on an up bite it will lay over on its side.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:44 AM »
When targeting panfish especially crappies I would go with a spring bobber over a slip bobber. The reason being there will be times when they put slack in the line especially crappies. You won't see that with a bobber.

x2

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2016, 10:16 AM »
 ;D I sometimes use a tiny bobber , I find bottom raise up 1' then jig when the bobber stops pull the line up with hands , then put back in water and depth is already set  ;D @) :'(. My 5year old does a good job
McPerch

Offline nitram

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2016, 10:28 AM »
Floats ,slip floats work, but the fish need to be some what aggressive. 

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2016, 10:39 AM »
Adjustable Spring Bobber all the way. Will become a sight fishing, line watcher in no time while learning to visually focus on it and not really know it. Covering as many bases as possible is rarely a bad thing. Slip bobbers have there place but can be a PIA when it's cold out for a kid

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2016, 01:14 PM »
Noodle rod w/ hi viz tip-- no need for bobbers
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2016, 03:28 PM »
Yes this, it's been forever and I don't do it anymore.  It doesn't always have to be a bobber, it can be a large plastic bead as well.  I think the size around 8 mm will do.

(Image removed from quote.)

I use to use those but switched to ice buster bobbers then to the venom bobber. the thrills work if the fish are aggressive. with the venom bobber I can set it to neutral buoyance and can tell if the line was picked up by the bobber rising in the water. I prefer spring bobber set ups now but still run a bobber rod once in a while.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2016, 04:21 PM »
Home made guitar spring bobber.

Rg

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2016, 04:25 PM »
Home made guitar spring bobber.

Rg

That is really cool! I might just have to try to do something like that. Luckily today we got into the crappie pretty good so he was having a blast. Thanks to everyone for all of the great responses. Well, everyone except one person anyways.  ::)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2016, 04:41 PM »
Sorry, some people can't be helped. Pm me if you need any info on how to make them.

You're a good Dad teaching your son to fish. There's nothing more fun.

Rg

Offline Dean Nelson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2016, 04:59 PM »

How can you not tell? Rig it so the bobber barely holds the bait up. If it goes down set the hook if it pops up and tips on its side set the hook. Rig it as a slip bobber so he can jig it still ...watching a bobber go down is still one of the best things in fishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.