Author Topic: What to replace a hub shack bag with?  (Read 3394 times)

Offline Beaztie454

• IceShanty Rookie
What to replace a hub shack bag with?
« on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:26 PM »
As I feel this is a common problem I am wondering what others have done to transport a hub shack after the manufacturer's bag has gone to the garbage can due to rips, bad zippers, and just plain being a PITA to get the shack back into...

I was thinking an Army surplus top load duffel bag would be the cats a** but I can't find one tall enough to fit the shack (Shack is about 50" when broke down Frabill Outpost thermal). Any thoughts besides just plain bungee cords?

Offline Perch tugger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What to replace a hub shack bag with?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:31 PM »
I would check out some hockey type duffel bags or army surplus duffel bags.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:35 PM »
as perch tugger said some kind of sports bag, bat bag, hockey bag, I would go to play it again sports, good luck

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:36 PM »
When the zipper on my Killzone bag went to hell, I looked on ebay and found a bag for the eskimo 949. it was quite a bit bigger and had a draw string top instead of the PIA zipper down the side. Much easier to do at the end of the day when every thing is frozen and the wind is howling.

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:38 PM »
Army ruck, or maybe one of the large water proof top load duffel (the kind you can wear luke a back pack).

Offline Yoopergirl

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice chicks DO exist!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:41 PM »
I made a replacement bag for my ex's frabill last year,  used 600 denier coated nylon and a sleeping bag zipper.  Made it oversize so a frozen/stiff shack would easily go in, then sewed extra straps to the outside with buckles so it could be cinched down.  Bought an Otter XTH hub this year for myself and the bag it came in was exactly like the one I made, except for the coating!!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:51 PM »
why bag it? just strap it. use 3 or 4 to keep it closed enough. supposed to dry them every night anyway, so w/o the bag it will dry easier. bags have silly shoulder straps to carry them. mine goes in a sled. no bag or shoulder straps needed.
i like the velcro one wrap products.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2016, 11:24 PM »
I went the Army duffel bag route.  The bag is certainly big enough but I only used it once and then gave up on that path.  The bottom of the bag sits way too high on your body when it's carried like a back pack.  You feel like you could tip over at any time and if a little gust of wind hits you, you are a damn sail.  Now it gets tossed in the sled and bungeed down.  The duffel bag comes in handy because I can stuff a 5 gallon bucket inside of that thing. 

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2016, 11:39 PM »
why bag it? just strap it. use 3 or 4 to keep it closed enough. supposed to dry them every night anyway, so w/o the bag it will dry easier. bags have silly shoulder straps to carry them. mine goes in a sled. no bag or shoulder straps needed.
i like the velcro one wrap products.

x2!

Offline mszczep1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hard Water Fanatic!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2016, 06:21 AM »
I agree with 3300.  No bag, strap!  I got a Polar Bird 3T, and it comes with a canvas tarp that you put the folded hub onto, then wrap the ends and sides over like an overstuffed burrito, then close it with straps.

Offline GRIZZ08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2016, 07:34 AM »
I don't use a hub style shack but used one for a couple years before getting a flipover but just had this thought pop into my head.  could a person use a golf back with the club dividers cut out of it???  not sure if the old ones are big enough for it to slide in but if you found the right one with the walking straps it would be fairly easy to carry over the shoulder????? just a thought I have never tried it
some days I can drink a lot of beer and other days only a case

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2016, 08:08 AM »
I have a 949i I think I used the bag once. I roll it up tight and strap it with a rubber bungy and throw it on the sled or in the back of my truck. Why hassle with the bag unless you are carrying it with the shoulder straps.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2016, 08:17 AM »
would it fit into one of those folding chair bags? I know I have a few of those laying around. Just an idea.
You could also use to grain bags. Cut the bottom out of one and sew it to the other. Make some sort of cinch at the top.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2016, 08:25 AM »
I just used my new pop up for hte first time last weekend....getting it back into the bag did take some wrestling...and it wasnt even wet or icy.....IM thinking straps for sure, as it gets back that even and left out to dry anyway.....

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2016, 08:44 AM »
I bought a replacement bag from Eskimo for my Clam hub and it is good quality.  If you are towing it around on a sled, the bungee strap idea seems good.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2016, 09:01 AM »
I have a 949i I think I used the bag once. I roll it up tight and strap it with a rubber bungy and throw it on the sled or in the back of my truck. Why hassle with the bag unless you are carrying it with the shoulder straps.
X2

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.