Author Topic: Power Auger Oil.....  (Read 3391 times)

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Power Auger Oil.....
« on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:10 PM »
I have been using a power auger for about 9 years. Always used the Pennzoil blend with TCW-3. Last year I used Amsoil for 1st time. Auger ran great. Started very easy. Bought high test just before thick ice and treated. Question here is this. I recently sold our snowmobile since we really never use it anymore. I found a partially filled gal of synthetic high quality oil that is pourable to -70 degrees. Would this be the same as Amsoil??? I bought more Amsoil this year before I found the left over synthetic. Thanks for any help...............
      Kim :icefish: :icefish: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Power Auger Oil.....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:15 PM »
I don't really understand the question. Are you asking if another synthetic oil besides Amsoil would be acceptable to use? Pour point has little to do with the oils actual performance.
-Tom

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:25 PM »
Pour point has little to do with the oils actual performance.
Please excuse me, but au contraire, Sir !    >:(

You would be welcome to attend Amsoil University, held annually in Superior WI, the site of corporate headquarters.   ;)2 

Piscesman, would you kindly give us the product code, or weight classification of that oil or any other identification numbers or marks on the container ?  Thanks in advance.   ;)2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:33 PM »
I am always willing to learn more, however, would you feel comfortable to give the OP a recommendation based on pour point?

If the event held annually is some kind of seminar, feel free to send me a link.
-Tom

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:45 PM »
Dang, I just searched the site and nothing came up. It's usually held in mid summer.   I'll keep trying and get it to you.   Meanwhile, a start is at Amsoil.com , have a good look before clicking.    I'm always willing to share, (what little I've encountered in a fer years being a dealer).

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:53 PM »
Most likely your oil you found is for a 2 stroke and most likely it is Synthetic and I would assume if you could mix it at say 40:1 or even 50:1 it will work. Not saying it is as good as Amsoil. I use Stihl Chain saw oil in my auger.
<===Lefty===

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:58 PM »
I'm thinkin', we've been had by a "drive by". 

This could be a dangling thread.      :unsure:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:36 PM »
Gentleman, allow me to poke my nose in to throw out a memorized test standard we had to know for OUR certification...the ASTM D-97. Rather than me explain it in my words, I found a fair reference for it  (quick) which I will link here. It still applies to engines, in an overall general sourcing of info, if you will.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1014/low-temperature-viscosity-limits

Also, allow me to state viscosity has a huge impact on proper lubrication, which is the attempt to provide as much a  friction free environment between two surfaces, most notably metal.
I'll let all peruse this, as I now need to return to my popcorn and NYPD reruns.  Enjoy. ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:45 PM »
Thank you for the link Rebelss, it was a good read. Still, the OP needs to provide more info.
-Tom

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:51 PM »
Welcome. It's a pretty basic "viscosity read". I always suggest when it doubt, toss it out, same as spoiled food. Not worth an engine for a few bucks.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:09 PM »
Just for the record, Amsoil Saber Pro has a pour point of -45 F, and for comparison my oil of choice Pennzoil Fully-Synthetic has a pour point of -34 F. Other popular oils are  Opti 2 with a pour point of -22 F, and Klotz Snomobile Techniplate comes in at -40 F. I have not seen anything close to the -70 quoted by the OP, and I would be skeptical of what it really is.

Edit: Amsoil Interceptor has a pour point of -72 F. I find that strange because I used Interceptor for years and always found it to be thicker than Saber Professional, which seems like water by comparison.
-Tom

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2014, 10:24 PM »
I would be skeptical also.    I feel it's just too much of a risk to use a doubtful substance, well, maybe for dust control, ha.

As regards the pour point ~ I have yet to see fuel mixed at those temperatures.   YIKES !

Where pour points really come into their own is with 4 cycle engine lubricants and gear lubes .

The dinosaur stuff just can't compete or even come close to synthetics.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2014, 05:56 AM »
Here are the specs and such on the container. SPECTRO SYN-SNO Full Synthetic Power Valve Formula ISO-EDG+  JASO-FD 2-cycle Pours at -70. For use in Polaris, Yamaha, Ski-Doo, Artic Cat. Blended Especially for EXTREME CONDITIONS. Also on back Meets JASO-FD  ISO-L-EGD

Hope this helps                  Kim :tipup: :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:54 AM »
I have some Polaris 2 Stroke oil and would possibly use it .Never have and won't use it unless I go broke and couldn't get something else.Not that it is bad oil.
<===Lefty===

Offline Ches.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:10 AM »
I have used Amsoil Interceptor in all my 2 stroke machines for years, never had a problem.  However, saying that, I have just learned about Saber and will give it a try.  One quart of oil last me years, so even though the oil you found might work just fine, if I questioned the oil, I think I would give it to a bad friend.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2014, 09:13 AM »
Here are the specs and such on the container. SPECTRO SYN-SNO Full Synthetic Power Valve Formula ISO-EDG+  JASO-FD 2-cycle Pours at -70. For use in Polaris, Yamaha, Ski-Doo, Artic Cat. Blended Especially for EXTREME CONDITIONS. Also on back Meets JASO-FD  ISO-L-EGD

AHA!!! Spectro!!! The Reb knows! (Can't fool an old dog!) I remember seeing some of this stuff around in the early 70's for motorcycles when I was racing 'em....Don't know much about it, but check out the the pour point, does NOT say -70 on this link. If it's not real old,I guess it's up to you if you want to use it or not...a roll of the dice. I'm sure it won't hurt the auger.

http://www.spectro-oils.com/syn-sno-full-synthetic-powervalve-formula/

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2014, 10:47 AM »
If you are sure that is what is in the bottle, there will be no problems at all using it. It looks like it can be used in oil injection or pre-mixed. Plenty of snowmobilers swear by the stuff, you won't have any problems in an auger.
-Tom

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2014, 11:49 AM »
Amsoil makes quality 2 stroke. Run/ran it in all my sleds. I would be using it in my auger if I still had a 2 stroke. I've got a gallon of dominator and a gallon of interceptor.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2014, 01:32 PM »

There should also be an  " API TC "    somewhere on the label ,  Kim .

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2014, 02:25 PM »
Pour point is pretty much a non factor when you pre mix it with gas. Now a oil injection system like on outboard motors or snowmobiles yes.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2014, 02:34 PM »
Pour point is pretty much a non factor when you pre mix it with gas. Now a oil injection system like on outboard motors or snowmobiles yes.
My error in thinking that was covered in an earlier reply, hm.      ???

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2014, 04:25 PM »
      Idahogator,
Cannot locate that on label. Checked it 5+ times. This oil was purchased by me 5 years ago. Brand new with sealed label. Used about 1/2 of it in my Polaris sled. Been in basement with snowmobile stuff that I found while cleaning. Cost $40/gal. I guess I can see what snowmobile mixing ratios are and go from there. Being a high performance synthetic I thought it may be comparable to Amsoil.
      Kim

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2014, 04:30 PM »
Hm, maybe true !     Did you mix it with gasoline or put it in a tank on the machine?

That would indicate "premix or injector" oil.    Injector oil is usually half strength and could explain the -70 pp.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 11, 2014, 04:32 PM »
It wouldn't be a good idea to mix it 100:1, but Spectro syn-sno will provide more protection than your auger needs. It would do just fine pre mixed at 32:1 or 40:1. If you prefer Amsoil, I would be glad to dispose of the Spectro for you.  ;D
-Tom

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2014, 04:44 PM »
If disposal is an option, I have a 200' dusty driveway.     :woot:

But you're 1st in line T.     ;)2

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2014, 06:14 AM »
My sled was injector system. I will be doing more research and pre-mix for my power augers and test operation. Never use more than 1 gal gas per year. Ice needs to be 6"+ before power auger is put to use. Only have 6 weekends to fish and maybe a day or 2. Thanks for the help..........
      BTW= I didn't want to dispose of $40 gal oil if it could be properly used without burning an engine up....
      Kim :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2014, 07:17 AM »
It always amazes me. That one will by a Strike Master or Jiffy auger and not use the oil Jiffy or Strike Master have for their own products. Ether way after pouring your oil into your gas. Take some of that gas and pour back into the oil bottle and swish it around then pour the contents into your gas oil mixture.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 13, 2014, 08:37 AM »
It always amazes me. That one will by a Strike Master or Jiffy auger and not use the oil Jiffy or Strike Master have for their own products. Ether way after pouring your oil into your gas. Take some of that gas and pour back into the oil bottle and swish it around then pour the contents into your gas oil mixture.

The reason I don't use Jiffy or Strikemaster oil is simply because its way overpriced and there are much better options. No different than polaris requiring their own oil for my ranger. Price of their oil is about $14/qt. Complete joke and most likely that oil is no better than the wal mart brand (which im not knocking the wal mart brand). This is a marketing scheme for manufactures to push their own oil. Price is way higher and try to convince consumers their oil is specifically designed for that motor. Harley Davidson is another. They all do it. Not saying a person is wrong for using their oil. Just saying you would be paying way more and not getting way more (quality that is).

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #28 on: Dec 13, 2014, 11:33 AM »
My sled was injector system. I will be doing more research and pre-mix for my power augers and test operation. Never use more than 1 gal gas per year. Ice needs to be 6"+ before power auger is put to use. Only have 6 weekends to fish and maybe a day or 2. Thanks for the help..........
      BTW= I didn't want to dispose of $40 gal oil if it could be properly used without burning an engine up....
      Kim :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Ah ha, just the clue that's needed, injector oil is "half strength" of premix oil for 2 cycles.

So, double the amount of it, based on what the auger calls for.   

Whew.   

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Dec 13, 2014, 12:05 PM »
I know a lot of people have premixed their Oil to run in ATV's and Snowmobiles. This is because the oil tank sometimes get's broken and so they plug off the injector side of the Carb and then premix the oil and gas. So the question here is. What mixture do they use?
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.