Author Topic: How many years?  (Read 3373 times)

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: How many years?
« Reply #60 on: Nov 05, 2014, 10:36 PM »
Started in about 1952 with my dad and it just got worse over the years. Had a neighbor who was on disability from the oil fields, He built the first powered auger I ever heard of in about '58 from an electric starter and he handbuilt and welded the auger. Lots of fun back then and got wet a few times too. So about 62 yrs or so.

Offline CPace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Nov 06, 2014, 02:13 AM »
I'd have to guess, but closest I'd figure, somewhere around 43-44 years.  Started Ice fishing with my Uncle, who doubled as my Grandfather, as he had passed away when I was 3.  Started out ice fishing for crappie and bluegill (I suppose most are broke in to ice fishing that way) as they were generally easier to catch.  no electronics then, just good old know how and experience. I fished using that handed down knowledge and experience ( and hopefully built on it) until 4-5 years ago.  broke down and got a showdown troller.  I love it, but know some who might feel that you can't beat a Vex.  Eh, to each his own!!  Mine works for me, that's all that really matters, is be happy with what you like, don't worry about what others feel you have to have.  Do as much ice fishing as possible, it's become an addiction, as most on here will agree!!  I make a yearly trip to Lake of the Woods in MN with a couple of buddies, and have a great time catching walleyes.  some years are great, others good, but all the trips are well worth it!!  Sometimes, ya take a little bad with the good, so stick with it and have fun!!! ;)

Offline fish8mybait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Nov 06, 2014, 10:25 AM »
I started ice fishing about 8 years ago when it was too cold to hunt for deer. Went out with a Mora 6" auger, snowboat shanty, a new jig pole and a couple tip ups. I was hooked when I pulled a 12" crappie through the hole. I now have 2 shanties, electronics and all sorts of other gear.

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Nov 06, 2014, 10:35 AM »
Started ice fishing in 1960 so I guess I've been doing this for 55 years. Things have really changed over the years. Glad I got to see it all, I even caught a few fish over the years.

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Nov 06, 2014, 11:11 AM »
I remember it like it was yesterday.......  December 1961.... my buddy then AND NOW... dragged me screaming out onto a frozen lake in Putnam County, NY.  Been at it for the next 53 years!!!

Back then we cut holes with an axe (and found out how difficult THAT was!!!)  Spud bar came next and it was easier but gave us quite a workout.  Next came an amazing invention.... a Spoon auger (what a PIA)!  But then I spied a giant "corkscrew" with a "T" handle on top...what a great idea!!
Many, many changes since those early years... fancier tip-ups, jigging rods of all descriptions, jigging lures, soft plastics, ELECTRONICS!!!, u/w Cameras, Gas Augers, etc., etc.   Baffles the mind to keep up with all this new fangled stuff!!
Nowadays (at 72 yrs. old) we hide out in pop-up Hub style tents, with Mr. Buddy heaters, cut holes with Gas augers, jig our lures with custom made rods, and watch the fish bite on our Aqua Views, while cooking lunch on our propane stoves....... man, have things changed!!!

In order to bury me when I die, they're going to have to drag my frozen carcass off some upstate NY lake..... and there willl still be a fish on the end of my line!!!

Great story.  Thanks.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Nov 06, 2014, 11:14 AM »
. I..like a lot of guys was in denial about electronics for many years...I didn't think I needed them to catch fish...and you don't need them to catch fish. BUT, after buying a Showdown a few years ago I will never look back. Although you don't need electronics to "catch fish"..I found out quickly that with the use of them you will catch them much more consistantly and in way higher numbers.

I agree on how electronics increases catches - but for me it is also handy for deciding when to move after staring at a blank screen for 30 minutes.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #66 on: Nov 06, 2014, 11:35 AM »
Early 90s  best friend has a cabin up north on a lake and his step dad bought us some waxies and we went out with like 10 tear drops a rusty auger and 2 Schooley rods. Have been hooked ever since.
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Nov 06, 2014, 07:08 PM »
 Ice fishing 35 years or so but really honing skills and getting all the Gear last 6 years..  Can't get enough My favorite Hobby, sport, pass time whatever its called...

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Nov 06, 2014, 07:42 PM »
back in 81 , whenever I was 16yrs old, my buddy and I went to a local lake, with a schooley, (maybe 2), and I think we had a hatchet too,but not much more, took my cj5 softop that day, and whenever I tried to pull into the parking lot , I put my jeep down over a steep enbakment, and had to have a guy pull us out with his pickup,,I remember how cold it was, and I also remember not catchin a thing....... My buddies dad even bought me a schooley rod  that yr., for xmas,  (I also dated my buddies sister)....but that thing sat and sat on my guncabinet for years, until about 15 yrs ago, or so when a neighbor (who is more that adequately equipped with all the gear),took me out a few times over the next couple winters... and BAM, I am totally hooked,I have now accumulated all the essential gear (open for discussion), And now every year, I pray for the winters we used to have back in the 70's......It sure beats sitting on the couch all winter......grouse hunting is my number 1, but Ice fishing has been gaining ground each year........Yes I am an ice fishing Addict.....

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #69 on: Nov 06, 2014, 07:54 PM »
I started ice fishing seriously about 5-6 years ago.  Spend many hours on the ice.  Absolutely love it.  Can't wait to start in PA

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Nov 06, 2014, 08:35 PM »
Thanks to everyone who replied. There were some neat stories about starting out, I think a lot of us have those fond memories of Dad showing us the ropes. Lots more old timers than I thought there would be, can't go wrong with that. I am sure most of you guys have seen things I could only imagine always great to stand around have a beer and listen to the stories and tips from the past.

A good memory I have was a long trip to a new lake, about four of us in our early 20s, we fished dusk til dawn and caught nothing, but the weather was amazing and we had 3 meals cooked on the ice. Around mid-morning we saw the only other fisherman on the lake walk about 150 yards out to his tarp sided shack. At lunch time we thought we could try and get some info out of him so we decided to head over. Stopped the truck about 30 yards away and walked over with some fresh off the grill venison steak and called out to him if he wanted any lunch. The old timer popped out and we handed him the plate of meat he immediately took a bite and make a joke about how his wife was gonna get worried about him since he wouldn't have to head in for lunch. He showed us the few perch he had been catching, gave us a few tips on the lake as he had lived on it for most of his life, we ended up talking for about a half hour, mostly listening to the stories of an old ice fishing sage. We admired his meager catch, his home made shack, his resilience to trudge out from his cozy house on the shore on most days when the weather wasn't nearly as inviting, but mostly we admired his experience and knowledge of fishing and life.

We never caught a single fish that day but it was among the best times I have spent on the ice. Every time I head out on the ice I try to learn something new, normally it comes from making a mistake and thinking about what could have been done better. On rare occasions it comes from the experiences of someone else who learned from their mistakes, and that is what makes these boards so great.

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:52 AM »
That's awesome!   Nothing like being on the hardwater and pulling fish :)   

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:02 AM »
I started ice fishing with my Dad about 30 yrs. ago.  He got out of it in his later years and essentially so did I. But I just got back into it about 5 yrs. ago and got back into it heavy!!  I've been trying to get Dad back on the ice but he's stubborn and won't leave his 80 degree shop only to eat and sleep, (and I think he wouldn't do that if there were a kitchen and a bed in there!)  Oh well, I'm still gonna keep trying! 

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:41 AM »
Started 42 years ago and still lovin it.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #74 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:48 AM »
39 yrs. Remember standing around the hole and taking turns sitting on the wood sled warming your hands by the lantern,catching pike on tip ups and everything smelled like anise.
Had bread bags on my feet to keep my feet dry in the black 20lb. snowmobile boots with the wool liners and 3 pairs of socks on my hands for mittens.Good times!
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline OpryIcin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Whither there is ice, that is where I shall be
« Reply #75 on: Nov 24, 2014, 10:07 AM »
I have been a fisherman all my life.  I am 31 and have been angling with my dad, grandpa, and uncles since I was 3 years old.  Always loved the tug and have been addicted for as long as I can remember.

Then, in December of last year, I found my ultimate passion: the ice.

My first ice fishing trip was with my son up at Willow Creek Res up in Grand Co. Colorado.  A good friend named Steve invited us up to try out the ice.  I was skeptical because I really didn't "get it."  4 hours and countless 10-16" trout later, my son and I were absolutely addicted.  We went every weekend until the ice went away.  I even contemplated moving to Hudson Bay and acquiring a dual citizenship so I could ice 8 months a year.  :)

Vertical jigging with electronics through a 6" hole in the ice is the most relaxing and exhilarating experience I've ever had and I really hope to continue this passion for the rest of my years.

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Nov 24, 2014, 11:07 AM »
Been icefishing for 20 yrs now, since I was 8. started off with my dad who would take me every Sunday to fish for chain pickerel until I was old enough and tall enough to turn the hand auger myself lol then I was off on my own every chance I got, sometimes every day of the week ( joy of living on the lake, I would go almost every night after school and every day I had off school. Work a lot now but night shifts so I fish A LOT throughout the winter...have yet to get into the electronics but likely will someday
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Nov 24, 2014, 11:30 AM »
33 years now and I turn 35 this December... Yes, I basically learned how to toddle on the ice and yes, I count those years as I was garnering some much needed knowledge about ice conditions and proper fishing technique from an amazing father!   ::)  Seriously though, this has to be one of the most special activities and some of the best groups of people to be around.  Always respect those around you and tread gently on the heritage that has been passed down from generation to generation.  Happy Hard Water!

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Nov 24, 2014, 12:30 PM »
I started in the Late '50's with my Dad. Fished with him until he could no longer do it. He passed away in 1971 and I no longer ice fished. I fished, just not on the ice.

In 2004, I took up the sport again, but this time with a gas auger (instead of the old Swedish spoon auger) a Humminbird Depthfinder with GPS and a large assortment of rods and reels and 4 small tackle boxes full of jigs and spoons. I also have a tent and heater. I drag a Smitty Sled with my Eskimo tub on top with a couple hundred pounds of stuff.

Dad had 4 poles, two for him and two for me. The old kind with a couple of pegs to wind your line on. A couple of 5 gallon buckets to sit on and a fly box with a few dozen ice jigs  and a scoop. We carried a minnow bucket full of small crappie minnows and a Skoll tin (or Copenhagen) full of Waxworms or Mousies. Everything we need was carried in a couple buckets. I miss those days especially fishing with my Dad.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Nov 24, 2014, 03:14 PM »
Fished once or twice 20+ years ago.  15 years ago a buddy and I were in a pawn shop.  Bought a hand auger for ten bucks.  Then we got a few cheap poles and learned a little on our own.  I then moved a little further north to the Ne/Sd border and found what must be heaven.  So really I'm only claiming 15 years but I've been dragging my 9yr old on since he was two.  Now he has one hell of a start.  With quite a few master anglers under his belt he's pretty well hooked.  With the possibility of a great many years to look forward to spending on the ice.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
« Reply #80 on: Nov 24, 2014, 03:27 PM »
I started in 1974. me and a buddy from high school went every weekend and stayed at my grandfathers camp from Friday to Sunday fished all weekend. cut holes with a homemade ice spud made out of a leaf spring from a car welded on a iron pipe and sharpened. surprisingly we caught plenty of fish

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Nov 24, 2014, 04:00 PM »
38 years ago our Scout leader took the 11-year-old boys out and we got into the trout using hand lines.  Starting shortly thereafter, in my dreams I could drill holes in places like our church building and catch trout.  There was no going back.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #82 on: Nov 24, 2014, 04:25 PM »
probably been 45 years for me, it was part of growing up in Michigan, and my family. Was always haphazard about it till say 5 years ago I really started learning what I was doing. Always could catch fish, but catch what you want when you want is a challenge.
:icefish:

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Nov 24, 2014, 06:23 PM »
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Nov 24, 2014, 06:29 PM »
My first year on the ice was 1964.   The gear and equipment has come a long way since then. 

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Nov 24, 2014, 07:42 PM »
I figure I've been at it 62 years. My Dad started taking me for pan fish in N. Wisconsin when I was a first grader, 6 years old. Been in Montana 45 years and have never missed a season. Whew! That made me start feeling old guys.

Offline curtrein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Nov 24, 2014, 07:46 PM »
I've been ice fishing for about 5 yrs now with the last year having the most trips out. I used to go with an old work friend so we used to just use his hand auger. Talk about workout! Bought some plastic tipups and would basically use powerbait for trout. Last year I really took the leap and bought an Ion auger along with a couple beaverdam tipups. Got in about 10 trips last year. Also started to use shiners about a foot off of bottom hooked through the dorsal. Bought a couple of jig rods but never had much luck with those.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #87 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:03 PM »
This will be my 6th hard core year but been doing it my whole life.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.