Author Topic: Any one have any luck with thier fly reel set up?  (Read 3398 times)

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
Re: Any one have any luck with thier fly reel set up?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 11, 2013, 10:35 AM »
I know nothing about the black betty reel, I use a plain old smaller size fly reel? they may be a pos as far as I know. The only good thing I liked about the looks of it was the reel seat.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Mar 11, 2013, 11:28 AM »
My first reel I grabbed out of the bucket every time I went out was my Eagle Claw Reel. Fished up to 30 Fow with it with no problems.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #32 on: Mar 13, 2013, 03:54 PM »
I have been using a fly reel set up for several years and it is mostly for a finesse presentation.  Hand pulling line off for micro light lures on a fly reel is faster than hand pulling it on a spinning reel set up.  Aside from that, deadsticking a fly reel set up has it's advantages as well.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #33 on: Mar 13, 2013, 04:08 PM »

Caught just about everything on it.

Final word: I love it!

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Mar 13, 2013, 05:07 PM »
It seems some folks just can't manage a tool with only one moving part.  Love my fly reels.  No kinks or coils.  No line twist. 

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #35 on: Mar 13, 2013, 05:43 PM »
I used the fly reel set up 30% of the time last year and 90 % this season (i put in alot of jigging hours)and i love it.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 19, 2013, 12:41 AM »

Thorne  Bros Rods

No problems with mine ;D
AW

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #37 on: Mar 19, 2013, 06:37 AM »
It seems some folks just can't manage a tool with only one moving part.  Love my fly reels.  No kinks or coils.  No line twist.
gearheart, there is no need to pick on people that don't like your favorite tool. As I said in a earlier post, I used then, I catch fish with them, I managed then just fine, they just are not for me... I am happy for you that you "Love" your fly reels, but that does not mean that they are the right tool for ever one.
It is to bad that you seem to have trouble managing spinning gear, I don't have trouble with kinks, coils or line twist with my spinning gear, if I did maybe I would like fly reels better.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 19, 2013, 10:51 AM »
I have never seen a spinning reel that doesn't have some kink/coiling in the line, even with the super braids. Heck I even have some jig-spin and I use swivels with a leader on my spinning reel. I bet if you watched your jig with a camera you would see some spin/kinking with your jig/line.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #39 on: Mar 19, 2013, 12:30 PM »
I "straiten" my line before I fish, just like I do when I fly fish, which takes care of coils and kinks. I also don't use tiny little spinning reels, so I have less coil to remove. I don't reel against the drag, so I don't twist the line.
I have watched my line with my camera and the only spin I get, I get from jigging a lure that spins... The same spin I get if I am fishing a fly reel.

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Mar 20, 2013, 06:08 PM »
Bought some cheap fly reels off ebay to give them a try on the noodle rods I make. I like using them. Other than having to strip line off by hand, there is no inconvenience to using them. Plus's; no line twist, easier to adjust or change drag while reelin in a fish, ice did not build up on spool lip preventing line from coming off, less moving parts, take up less space, no wind knots or line unspooling in high winds. Fished as deep as 20' and didn't have any problem with dropping bait or bringing a fish in.

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Mar 20, 2013, 06:46 PM »
I love my SLV's!
But I also used both offerings from 13 Fishing this season - the BB and the 6016. I really like them both! The 6061 could use some tweaking(which they are currently doing for next years model). Twice i had the line slip behind the spool on the BB, but I also think I had too much line on it...
That being said, not everyone is going to like fly reels or the new ones being developed for icefishing. For one, change is about impossible for some. Me - im glad we have options and companys with ideas and drive...
p.s. - all threads are better with picts... here is my PB from this season, 4ft off bottom in 27 fow  ;D 15.5in...

Mr. A West - I know your addiction to TB rods... that is a 30in powernoodle w recoils. Another you "must have"  @)

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #42 on: Mar 20, 2013, 07:35 PM »
 Great for panfish. No line twist.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.