The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: It won't be long.  (Read 1741 times)

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It won't be long.
« on: Nov 18, 2022, 07:39 PM »
Ice is forming on the small high elevation ponds. I'm going to try to start my ice fishing season next Wednesday, Nov. 23. I expect to find 5-6 inches of ice. I want to get out ahead of the snow that's in the forecast for Friday and Saturday.

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: It won't be long.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2022, 08:18 PM »
I always hope to be able to get out there before January 1.
It doesn't happen often at the latitude I'm at.

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2022, 08:26 AM »
Good luck out there! Be safe!
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2022, 10:05 AM »
Ice is forming on the small high elevation ponds. I'm going to try to start my ice fishing season next Wednesday, Nov. 23. I expect to find 5-6 inches of ice. I want to get out ahead of the snow that's in the forecast for Friday and Saturday.

That's awesome! What area are you going to target? I have a fair amount of driving from where I am to get to anything likely to freeze over the next week. Be safe out there!
Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2022, 04:28 PM »
There are 2 ponds near me that freeze exceptionally early every year. Both are next to the road and the parts I'll be fishing are only 3 feet deep. If I do break through I won't drown and I'll only be about 2 minutes from the truck. I bring the bare minimum for gear when I fish through thin ice, just a hand auger and a cheap jig pole so there's no risk of losing expensive toys.

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2022, 08:11 AM »
There are 2 ponds near me that freeze exceptionally early every year. Both are next to the road and the parts I'll be fishing are only 3 feet deep. If I do break through I won't drown and I'll only be about 2 minutes from the truck. I bring the bare minimum for gear when I fish through thin ice, just a hand auger and a cheap jig pole so there's no risk of losing expensive toys.

Sounds like a smart approach. I'm assuming you are using tip-ups at 3 feet, not jigging?

I went down to my local pond yesterday for what may have been the last shore fishing session of the year. To my surprise, the pond was covered with thin ice, which made lure casting impossible, obviously. So, I relocated to another small pond close by, and this one hadn't frozen over. I was beyond surprised to trigger topwater blowups from both bass and pickerel on a Heddon Super Spook. I had not expected to catch any bass, certainly not on the topwater, but got a really nice one as well. Be safe!

Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2022, 10:17 AM »
Both of those ponds are artificial laws only until the first of December so I'll be jigging. I've never caught anything with artificial lures on tip-ups.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2022, 01:31 PM »
Both of those ponds are artificial laws only until the first of December so I'll be jigging. I've never caught anything with artificial lures on tip-ups.

Those little plastic eggs or worms have caught a few on tip ups for me.

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2022, 03:23 PM »
I've had luck with power bait trout worms and power bait eggs
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2022, 01:23 PM »
Saw the first ice chunks on Pushaw lake today.  It will be a while until ice forms, but this is the first day I have seen ice so it's coming.

Offline Sampson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2022, 02:00 PM »
Just need a night or two with no wind

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2022, 08:37 AM »
Saw the first ice chunks on Pushaw lake today.  It will be a while until ice forms, but this is the first day I have seen ice so it's coming.

Happy to hear that. Thanks for the update.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2022, 10:21 AM »
I checked a bunch of ponds this weekend. All wide open!! Hoping this week sets up some of the smaller ponds
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2022, 03:35 PM »
I drove by two ponds yesterday that were iced over but they aren't open to ice fishing. Another one that is open to ice fishing skimmed over last night but I wouldn't trust it to be safe for at least a week if the temperatures stay cold. One good wind could break it up in the next few days. I haven't checked the pond I hope to fish tomorrow but it's usually the first to freeze around here.

Offline Sampson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2022, 05:31 PM »
Warming up for weekend. Probably not gonna happen

Offline Sampson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2022, 05:57 PM »
Friday morning is the only chance

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2022, 12:36 PM »
Got all my gear out and ready. Flasher batery all charged!!!!!!

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2022, 10:41 AM »
The water is cold enough to make ice now all that has to happen is for the temps to drop and rain to hold off.  I am looking out at a skim of ice about half a mile wide and about a mile long which is slowly breaking up.  Some guy in a kayak is going along the edge checking it out as I write this.  It's going to happen just need a few cold windless nights to help it along.   

Offline Sampson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2022, 06:22 PM »
More rain and warm weather for Wednesday into thursday

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.