The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Walkable ice  (Read 4596 times)

Offline BUCKNAKED

• IceShanty Rookie
Walkable ice
« on: Nov 22, 2006, 07:12 AM »
With this weather it may be a long shot but....has anyone found any walkable ice south of Red?  I have the itch bad and ready to drive around up north until I find ice!

I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man with no feet and took his shoes.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Walkable ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2006, 07:40 AM »
I doubt it and if there is, there wont be after today.  Red had some good wind and busted the ice up the other day. 

Offline BUCKNAKED

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2006, 07:49 AM »
That's what I was afraid of.  I was going to make the trek up. >:(

I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man with no feet and took his shoes.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2006, 07:56 AM »
We have 3 rooms booked at Bear Paw for the 7-10th and I am starting to get a little worried about that.  I drew up plans last night for how to make a flip over, using my pedal boat for the sled.  (You know you are going to envy it when it is done)  Not to get off track, but check out page 58 of the regulations.  YOu can now have 1 rod rigged in the spear house!! 

Offline BUCKNAKED

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2006, 08:04 AM »
Any chance you'll cut a 24x36 hole in the floor of the pedal boat so I can borrow it Dec. 1?

I seen the new reg, which will be nice.  Last year I had some really nice Walleyes come through the hole right at sunrise :o

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2006, 08:14 AM »
I always get crappies in the hole.  It isn't legal to spear from a boat. 

Offline BUCKNAKED

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2006, 10:31 AM »
Burbot you've got mail.

Offline brrrknee

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bullwinkle helps pull the sled :)
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2006, 03:19 PM »
check out page 58 of the regulations.  YOu can now have 1 rod rigged in the spear house!! 
Is this in a special spearing regulation book?  I had just gotten my license 2 weeks ago, and in the pp58-59 MN 2006 regulations, there is nothing that states that we can have a rigged rod in a dark/ spear house; The regulations state directly opposed- "A person may not have a spear in a dark house or a fish house while taking fish by angling or  :tipup: tip-ups".   What am I missing or misreading?

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2006, 03:24 PM »
I cant wait for this cold weather coming in. its been so long :-\
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2006, 03:27 PM »
Is this in a special spearing regulation book?  I had just gotten my license 2 weeks ago, and in the pp58-59 MN 2006 regulations, there is nothing that states that we can have a rigged rod in a dark/ spear house; The regulations state directly opposed- "A person may not have a spear in a dark house or a fish house while taking fish by angling or  :tipup: tip-ups".   What am I missing or misreading?
I just downloaded the book on the DNR webpage.  It's on page 58 in there. 

That ice better get here soon!  I am about ready to take the canoe back out!  I have been looking at my boat every day and wondering why I winterized it!~

Offline BUCKNAKED

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2006, 03:28 PM »
PG 58 and I quote

"A person may take fish by angling in a darkhouse if only one angling line is
in use and any fish caught is either immediatly released or placed on the ice" ;D

Boy a guy could have his hands full this year!! ;D

Offline brrrknee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2006, 05:11 PM »
PG 58 and I quote
I directed this to the DNR; your quote and my quote are the same   bullet- one in the PDF, one in the print.

I've asked them to clarify what exactly is/ is not allowed.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2006, 09:35 PM »
REGULATION'S!  ???

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2006, 07:16 AM »
I directed this to the DNR; your quote and my quote are the same   bullet- one in the PDF, one in the print.

I've asked them to clarify what exactly is/ is not allowed.
Please post their reply. 

Offline pray for the fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2006, 07:36 AM »
It sounds to me you cannot have a spear and fishing line in the same house. You can angle in a darkhouse as long as you don't have a spear. Just because it is a darkhouse doesn't mean you are spearing in it. So actually if you want to angle in the darkhouse you are penalized versus a regular fishhouse. Who ever wrote this law has obviously got some holes in his dipnet. Or maybe he is working on passing that other law, where you have to have an egress window that allows in 1,000,000 candlepower of light ;D, with no shades.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2006, 07:40 AM »
I think they make rules unclear, just to make money off of violators.  PFF, is Red freezing back over?  I am supposed to be up there next Thursday. 

Offline pray for the fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2006, 12:18 PM »
MN burbot, I just took a long walk out, about 3/4 mile. Ice as far as you can see. Not near as rough as it looks from shore either. Chisel said 4 to 6 inches way out, in close I think there is probably ice all the way to the bottom in 6 feet of water, where the wind kept piling it up slab of ice on slab of ice.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2006, 02:08 PM »
I like hearing that!! 

Offline brrrknee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2006, 03:43 PM »
Please post their reply. 
From the DNR [email protected]: the online PDF is the correct version: A person may take fish by angling  in a darkhouse if only one angling line is in use and any fish caught is either immediately released or placed on the ice
She states "The information in the web version is the most up-to date version.  We print the paper versions in December of each year for distribution in March.  Changes made during the legislative session (Jan-April) come
after this time.   We then update the web page when regulation changes
made by the legislature go into effect.  Your suggestion of making sure that we highlight those changes on the web page is a good catch.  Thanks for the input and we will look at implementing something in the future."

You may want your spearing buddies to print this note or the pp58-59 of the pdf off, in case some field agent has the back-dated print version.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2006, 03:54 PM »
She still didn't clarify if you can have a spear and a fishing line in the house at the same time though, did she? 

Offline brrrknee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2006, 05:53 PM »
She did not- That is a question in her mailbox  now.  And it is the legislation that likely has the problem, not she or the others at the DNR.  Since it no longer explicitly states that you cannot have a spear, I'd bet on the positive.  It is listed in the spearing section, and specifically calls out "dark" house. 

Offline LoonASea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2006, 08:20 AM »
Personally Im going to wait till some one else gets approached by the DNR on this issue ,,a few fish  are not worth my time in the courts and I have better uses for my cash then fines ,,My feeling is  If You are going to error ,,,error on the side of caution
 Now to the real subject   Up here in Duluth we have walkable ice if 4 1/2 inches on most lakes

Randoid
Minnesota,,,The land that proves men have nipples too!!!!

Offline Holewatcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • in a trance watching the flag
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2006, 08:26 AM »
 :) I happy for all those who have ice I can only keep my fingers crossed for my area.  Good luck guys and be safe.
I need to go to the bathroom, but it might flip up if I go.

Offline itchynate

• IceShanty Rookie
  • right there!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2006, 01:23 PM »
Marion in Lakeville has walkable ice. Some guys where fishing tip ups today.
I.B.O.T.#361

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2006, 08:49 AM »
Coon Lake had a few portables and bunch of kids plaing boot hockey when I drove by yesterday.  Any bets on when the first car will go through?  I pick Tonka as the lake, just not sure what day that will be yet. 

Offline BUCKNAKED

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2006, 09:19 AM »
I'll take Buffalo ::)

Went spearing yesterday out on Blue there was about 4 inches where we were.

Offline brrrknee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2006, 03:22 PM »
I'll agree Jeff- Tonka.    I'd bet a 6pk of your choice it happens before Tues 6pm newscast. (12/5)

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2006, 04:29 PM »
I will give it until this weekend, unless of course you are planning on driving out there to win a few 6 pack   ;D

Offline drillinholz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2006, 04:42 PM »
Just went by Ham lake and there is about 4in of ice.  And someone out in a portable

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2006, 05:27 PM »
Otter tail does have 4''-6'' depending on where you are on the lake.
Hard Ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.