Author Topic: Electric Augers  (Read 4653 times)

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
Electric Augers
« on: Jan 07, 2020, 10:52 AM »
Looking at getting into a new auger..

Im comparing the Strike master to the Ion X. and I am considering the Ion XGen 2

How is the performance of the 10" ions and strike masters? Does anyone have a Gen 2 Ion?

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Electric Augers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2020, 11:03 AM »
westernmas on the finder

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2020, 11:05 AM »
10” strike all day over the Ion. Cuts sooooo much better. I just tried a brand new Ion. They both work well, but the strike is way better cutting.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2020, 11:14 AM »
10” strike all day over the Ion. Cuts sooooo much better. I just tried a brand new Ion. They both work well, but the strike is way better cutting.

That is until they discontinue the strikemaster electric like they did the 50V model.  They did absolutely nothing for those that bought the 50V model and they are no longer selling extra batteries.  Shows how much they care about their customers.  I've had the first gen Ion going on 6 years now and haven't had a single issue with it other than the blades being chinese made POS.  They are however cheap to replace so I have ZERO complaints but mine is the older 8 inch version.
westernmas on the finder

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2020, 11:32 AM »
That is until they discontinue the strikemaster electric like they did the 50V model.  They did absolutely nothing for those that bought the 50V model and they are no longer selling extra batteries.  Shows how much they care about their customers.  I've had the first gen Ion going on 6 years now and haven't had a single issue with it other than the blades being chinese made POS.  They are however cheap to replace so I have ZERO complaints but mine is the older 8 inch version.

Can’t speak to previous models, but the new one is awesome. Nothing wrong with the Ion at all, it just takes more effort to cut with the 10” I used last week. The battery on the Ion does appear to be far superior.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2020, 12:09 PM »
Can’t speak to previous models, but the new one is awesome. Nothing wrong with the Ion at all, it just takes more effort to cut with the 10” I used last week. The battery on the Ion does appear to be far superior.

are you referring to the Gen2 or the next newest to the Gen 2?

Offline zforste1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2020, 06:43 AM »
I switched over to an electric auger 3 seasons ago and haven't looked back. Started with the iON X 8" and loved it. Strikemaster came out with their Lithium 40 so i sold the iON to my dad (who loves it) and bought the Strike 8" and most recently upgraded to the 10" flighting. I have only drilled a dozen or so holes with the 10" so far but i have zero complaints about the auger head, battery or how the 10" cuts. If you stick to either of the big two (iON/Strikemaster) i really don't think you will have regrets. I know there are cheaper electrics out there but with cheap seemed to come issues, mainly with the batteries from what i have heard.

Hope that helps.
"Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day, don't teach a man to fish and feed yourself. He's a grown man and fishing isn't that hard" - Ron Swanson

Offline jigapoolza

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2020, 09:22 AM »
I have both a 8” Ion and 10” Ion and have say the 10” is sloooow cutting, can’t really recommend the 10”. I’ve talked to more than a few people that have the 10” StrikeMaster that say there happy with them.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2020, 09:43 AM »
Only video I found for comparison ..the Ion G2 seems lighter then the previous version ..nice features..composite drill unit center point and ring ..if a true side by side comparison between SM 40v vs Ion 2 ever makes it way to the airwaves more units are certain to be sold.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2020, 03:50 PM »
Anyone ever use the jiffy version ?

Offline swc21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2020, 04:48 PM »
I recently purchased the 40v strikemaster 10". It cuts very aggressive and fast. Very good battery life as far as I can tell. My complaint with it is that it jams at the bottom of the hole quite often. If you're not applying the pressure just right it jams. 50/50 it breaks through or jams. Maybe I'll get a feel for it as time goes on. I feel like since the blades have such an aggressive pitch that it cuts really fast but when the tip breaks through, the top of the blades still have allot to cut through. I dunno just my thoughts.

Offline zforste1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2020, 08:46 AM »
I recently purchased the 40v strikemaster 10". It cuts very aggressive and fast. Very good battery life as far as I can tell. My complaint with it is that it jams at the bottom of the hole quite often. If you're not applying the pressure just right it jams. 50/50 it breaks through or jams. Maybe I'll get a feel for it as time goes on. I feel like since the blades have such an aggressive pitch that it cuts really fast but when the tip breaks through, the top of the blades still have allot to cut through. I dunno just my thoughts.

I noticed the same thing with my 10", it jams half of the time on the last 1/2 of ice or so. i usually reverse it and try finesse it to breakthrough. i never had the issue with the 8" flighting and i thought they would have been the same so i am not sure what the deal is. I have drilled probably 20 - 25 holes with it and maybe 6 or 7 have jammed on me at the end. strange.
"Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day, don't teach a man to fish and feed yourself. He's a grown man and fishing isn't that hard" - Ron Swanson

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2020, 08:11 PM »
when I first got mine I had the same trouble but after getting used to using it I don't have that problem anymore. One has to remember that they don't have the jam of a gas so one has to learn to finesse them through the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.