Author Topic: Blackstrap 2019/20  (Read 67279 times)

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Blackstrap 2019/20
« Reply #240 on: Jan 20, 2020, 06:45 PM »
Yep. Lookslike you have to go across the north end and around

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #241 on: Jan 21, 2020, 07:26 PM »
Hi everyone:

I am back......well not 100%, but was able to get in 5 hours of fishing today on the North end.  First spot we fished was loaded
with perch, very picky eaters, and small.  Stayed there 4 hours, then tried a different spot on the way off the ice.  We caught more (lots),
there in less then a hour, then we caught in 4 hours in the first spot.  And probably 80% of them were keepers.  So they are still around by the looks of things. 

North end entrance is very good, and although there are no bare ice patches anymore, you can drive pretty much were you want with no problem, for those you you that haven't had a chance to get out with that cold snap we had.

Offline OverUnder725

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #242 on: Jan 21, 2020, 11:59 PM »
Glad to hear your back in action CR!  Have been meaning to check in with you but this weather has had me working night and day for the last little bit.

Offline Majic_Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #243 on: Jan 22, 2020, 01:22 AM »
Glad to hear you’re back and out on the ice again Church . I was out today as well. Tried the north end for a change and it paid off. Found many and landed a lot of big perch with 2 pike. Still searching for them walleye though. I’ll find them eventually

Offline CitySlicker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #244 on: Jan 22, 2020, 06:48 AM »
It will be nice for you to get back on the ice Church! Glad to hear it. Maybe Ill see you out there tomorrow.

Offline Cholo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #245 on: Jan 22, 2020, 10:35 AM »
Welcome back Church! Anybody use the north detour to access the south end of lake via the boat launches yet?

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #246 on: Jan 22, 2020, 11:35 AM »
I drove the detour route on Monday. The road is good. It probably adds about ten minutes to the whole trip if you exit Hwy 11 at the North Haul Road - the same road people use to drive onto the north end of the lake. If you turn off at Dundurn and you usually would to get to the boat launches, you will be detoured north around the lake. This will add a lot of unnecessary driving.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #247 on: Jan 22, 2020, 06:43 PM »
There is very good signage on Hwy 11 indicating the detour route starting with the left turn on the Haul Road.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #248 on: Jan 23, 2020, 05:55 PM »
Got in another 5 hours today at the North end.  Fished in two spots, lot's of perch in both spots (22 to 25 fow).  Seems to be more little ones now then say  4 to 6 weeks ago, but still get enough nice ones for a good meal (kept 7 today).

Offline Majic_Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #249 on: Jan 24, 2020, 11:16 PM »
Was out yesterday. Managed to find me a hole with a ton of perch. Good size ones too.  Had a really hard time managing two rods at once though (I suppose it’s a good problem to have). Beautiful day and weather as well. Met some really nice people out there too. All around good day.

Haven’t tried the detour to the south end yet. Are the roads still ok? Does it add an extra 10-15 mins to the trip?

Offline Finnegan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #250 on: Jan 25, 2020, 10:13 AM »
The roads on the detour around the north end to the south end boat launches are in very good shape. Detour is very well marked and easy to follow. I went that way yesterday. Adds maybe 10 mins or so to the trip.
A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn't know what a patient man she married !

gman51

« Reply #251 on: Jan 25, 2020, 02:45 PM »
Out for a morning trip today to the north end beautiful day out there fog rolled in mid morning making if hard to see ahead when driving trying to dodge drifts and the odd tip-up lol. The bite was decent early am on the walleyes and perch still kinda negative on the commitment but  landed 4 walleyes, 4lb pike and a bunch of smaller perch. Another great day to be out. As to be expected north end approach onto the lake is getting pretty soft and chewed up With Deep ruts.

Offline Uncle Yor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #252 on: Jan 26, 2020, 04:48 PM »
Is there any other way onto the south end of the lake (other than the new detour to the park gate)? I took the detour today and it wasn’t bad driving but still a PITA. Especially since you can almost spit onto hwy 11 from the lake...
It’s been frustrating ever since Evans road was chained off. Is there anywhere else at sky view estates or Thode to get on with a truck or even atv/snowmobile?

I wonder if the RM would be open to temporarily opening Evans road during the construction.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #253 on: Jan 26, 2020, 07:44 PM »
Uncle, we don't want to open that can of worms about the closure of Evans Road.  The road going down to the lake doesn't belong to the RM.
It belongs to the Hutterites, so they can get down to their pump house. 

gman51

« Reply #254 on: Jan 26, 2020, 07:49 PM »
I would say no... I’m sure the people that live at skyview fought hard to close the road from all the traffic (privacy)and garbage left there every year. As for thode there’s no public access there Either for parking or unloading of rec vehicles. I suppose you could try and find an area somewhere in thode to unload a skidoo or something but not sure if the locals would be to happy with to much traffic either. ? Just my opinion .

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #255 on: Jan 26, 2020, 08:37 PM »
Hutterites dont own the road they own the pumphouse. The rm owns the road.

Offline TherealTrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #256 on: Jan 27, 2020, 08:54 AM »
as far as im told its crown land and that the reason there is issues with the marina and the people that live out there using it
as for evans road we talked to the rm about temp opening that evans road and they asked for a couple letters and they are going to talk about it at there 28th meeting  we had told them it can be a safety issue if an emergency was to happen on the ice as detour could be to much of a delay to save somone  and as we know churchill had a close call so i think it is meritted to be looked at   im sure its a wing and a prayer but at least we tried

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #257 on: Jan 27, 2020, 11:56 AM »
I drove the north haul road to the north end on Sunday. I found it pretty rutted and definitely sloppy with the warm weather.
I still haven't pulled out a decent walleye, just some under 12". Yesterday I got into some Pike in about 6-8 ft of water. Pulled out a 31" but didn't get a weight on it. Also a few 26" ones.
Daughter got a Perch and I was marking them but they seemed to be picky that day. Yes even with the Jig-a-whopper!
I did have some nibbling a weighted fly that was bouncing on the bottom.

Offline TherealTrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #258 on: Jan 27, 2020, 02:10 PM »
bahahaah picky to say the least had 15 around my hook all day on the camera and the buggers will just try to steal the bait  smart little buggers

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #259 on: Jan 27, 2020, 03:47 PM »
bahahaah picky to say the least had 15 around my hook all day on the camera and the buggers will just try to steal the bait  smart little buggers

Yes they were being very gentle and robbing bait non-stop. A minnow head hooked through the lips with a barbed tungsten and 2lb line on light action rod. I was still barely seeing them touch!
I guess i'll have to bring the ultra light next time.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #260 on: Jan 27, 2020, 10:53 PM »
As Rip mentioned there wee reasons the home owners wanted Evans Road closed.  I guess the RM sided with the homeowners,as when I phoned them
3 years ago when this was all going down, I was lied to by the RM,  as they said it was out of their hands.  And they wonder why RM's get a bad name.  Again, as Rip mentioned the main reason ( as weak as it was), was due to the garbage left at the bottom of the road.  All it would of taken was for the RM to put a couple of garbage drums and a sign up.  I am sure there was a drum already there.  95% of fishermen don't go around leaving garbage as they are driving on and off the ice.  As I mentioned 3 years ago, I have more garbage left on my lawn ( as I have a bus stop by my house), in one week then there would of been at the bottom of Evans Road all winter.

Had the RM done their job at the start (years ago), the road would probably be open to this day.  Had they asked for letters to close the road or keep it open, I am sure they would of gotten more letters to keep the road open vs the few homeowners that wanted it closed.  Not sure if much
was accomplished as people are driving around the house to the South of the closed road and driving down to the shoreline and driving through
the marina and then onto the ice.  I myself have not done this, as it's not a problem for me to drive around through the park. 

Had I been on the South end when I had my medical problem and the fastest way to get off the ice was via Evans Road, and wasn't able to use it I am sure I would feel different.  I am glad I was on the North end.  I sure hope it doesn't come down to a life and death situation with Evans Road being closed. 

I have nothing against the homeowners......they asked and the RM decided to close the road.  It's the poor job the RM did that had me upset years ago.  I guess they are trying to get the reputation the RM of Corman Park and Sherwood Park have.

That's it for me regarding Evans Road being closed....it's really not a a fishing report as ice shanty was meant for............as for the fishing, I was out
today on the South end today (drove on through the park.....lol),  and the fish were more aggressive and bigger then they were the last 3 or 4 days on the North end. Some jumbos went home for supper.  Beautiful day.

Offline Cholo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #261 on: Jan 28, 2020, 09:09 AM »
Well said Church! , are you pretty much sticking to the north end now with the causeway closed? When is the Strap derby?

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #262 on: Jan 28, 2020, 10:00 AM »
I have been fishing the North end, but tried the South end yesterday.  They were more aggressive and a lot bigger then they were on the North end.

I have registered for the derby a month ago.  Let's all enter and support the community of Shields.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/blackstrap-ice-fishing-derby-tickets-80876558965

Offline TherealTrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #263 on: Jan 28, 2020, 11:39 AM »
i assume they will have a marked area on north and south ends of lake or just north? newbie here
thx

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #264 on: Jan 28, 2020, 02:52 PM »
The derby is only on the North end.  The area will be out front (a little to the South), of the town hall.  And yes, the area will be roped off.

Come for the morning breakfast at the town hall, and you will get all the info there if need be.  And you can buy your 50/50 ticket there, etc.

Offline CitySlicker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #265 on: Jan 29, 2020, 07:06 AM »
Tried the north end again yesterday. Slow day for me as usual. Stinkin' mice got into my shack and tore up some foam. Why in the heck would a mouse travel 100yards across frozen water to go in a plastic shack? Is this even possible, I'm half wondering if someone drove by and through a mouse in there as a prank. haha.  :(
...and yes I had left some cheezies in there... ::)

Offline kfcandtanq

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #266 on: Jan 29, 2020, 08:36 AM »
Hey guys,
I haven't been out all month, but I'm hoping to be out this weekend & next week.
What's the ice thickness like? Is it close to needing an extension?
I wasn't sure with that cold snap if it built a lot of thickness or not.

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #267 on: Jan 29, 2020, 10:22 AM »
Had approx 2 ft at the north end last saturday.  Shouldnt need an extension yet.

Offline Cvanhouwe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #268 on: Jan 29, 2020, 12:48 PM »
Hello all, first post here. I know it's been brought up a number of times, has anyone found an alternate route to the main launch area besides the detour? I was looking at going through Thode on Summerfeldt Drive if there's an opening. Heading out again Saturday morning.

gman51

« Reply #269 on: Jan 29, 2020, 03:36 PM »
As mentioned above there is no access from thode I was at thode today visiting a buddy and now someone has posted a sign at the very top of the hill going down into thode stating no access onto lake for fishing..drive the detour or move your shack (if you have one) to the north end and fish there? There’s just really no areas  even to park on Summerfeldt road. Without pissing some of the locals off.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.