Author Topic: ice thickness?  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
ice thickness?
« on: Feb 26, 2006, 09:32 PM »
how long does the ice stay at a safe thickness at echo, mission and pasqua lakes? im heading out every weekend untill its not safe. how long do u guys usually fish on there till.

Offline rumblefish_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ice thickness?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2006, 10:00 PM »
Gotta use your own judgement and common sense. I am out until midnight March 31st most years BUT...know your conditions!!!   A warm March can rot ice quickly so watch for open water and honeycombing ice. With a warmer winter such as this year I highly think you will not see me driving on the ice the last 2 weeks of the season if conditions warm up...but I will still walk out.If you know where the springs and open water are use caution and check ice thickness often.  To each their own but if you dont feel safe DONT do it.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2006, 10:15 PM »
so far i havent found any springs on echo but i have fell through on pasqua while driving my sled. did it a second time and decided to go away from that area because the sled wasnt mine so i didnt want to sink it. if it was mine i would have stayed and rode alone that whole section and do some waterskipping just for the hell of it ;) also how often does the ice shift?

Offline JIG MASTER77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2006, 09:14 AM »
so far i havent found any springs on echo but i have fell through on pasqua while driving my sled. did it a second time and decided to go away from that area because the sled wasnt mine so i didnt want to sink it. if it was mine i would have stayed and rode alone that whole section and do some waterskipping just for the hell of it ;) also how often does the ice shift?
i was out on tuesday and the ice is still really thick. i was right close to the open water also about 100 yards and the ice was about 16 inches or so it will be safe till end of the season for us at least on echo?

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2006, 11:41 AM »
Whereabouts on pasqua aer you hitting this spring zones?
  Hope you guys understand hydraulics and rotten ice.  Guys that go flying down the ice at unreal speeds make a huge wake, this wake WILL weaken even more ny spots, and if you just so happen to be on top of where two waves collide, you may need to hold your breath.  SO everyone be safe, nd remember, try to make it a no wake zone.
But overall, I think the ice should be a go, I wouldn't drive on pasqua at the prov. boat launch though, that part always sinks, and water has been on top for a while rotting, and with a thinner ice, end of year could be scary.
Withdraw to the Wilderness
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2006, 04:55 PM »
i was hitting the springs over on pasqua on the south side i don't know where though :-[ oops i didn't know about the wave part we always go fast on the sleds except when we are within 100 meters of people out ice fishing because i hate it when people do that >:( oh well it wasn't too smart of us to be driving there because there was parts of the beach with no snow and open water and lots of the ice was a brownish color and it looked weak ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.