Author Topic: circle hooks  (Read 921 times)

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
circle hooks
« on: Sep 09, 2011, 07:06 AM »
im sure this has been discussed or cussed witch ever, i started switching the hooks on my tipups to circle hooks last year and had pretty good luck was wondering what others thought of them

surflizard

Re: circle hooks
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2011, 07:25 AM »
I ran the #8 eagle claw otopus circles for a couple seasons and I had trouble with the lakers spreading the gaps on the light wire of those hooks, so I switched to the heavier wire#8 eagle claw single egg hooks and haven't lost any fish since ! Just my .02 !

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2011, 07:12 AM »
I may try a few rigs out with circles this year myself

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2011, 11:30 AM »
You have to be able to keep your tip-ups form freezing in the hole, before you have to worry about catching fish.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline Slimdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2011, 01:06 PM »
I have been using 4/0 or 5/0 Kahle hooks on my tip-ups for the last couple of years and I really like them.  I guess I never really gave much thought to using circles through the ice.  May have to try a few this year.   

Offline HooKEDUP24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2011, 03:22 PM »
Using a tip-up do you set the hook the same as a "J" hook?  I have used them in the summer for catfish where I just slowly lift the rod, while reeling to set the hook.
Ice Fishing Marathoner

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2011, 03:25 PM »
I use them on my noodle rods ice fishing when i am jigging in another hole. Basically the fish hooks itself
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Offline fishngolf

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The bigger the teeth, the better it gets!!!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2011, 09:38 PM »
Circle hooks are the only way to get big catfish in open water from the shore.

However I tried several on tip-ups for northern last winter and didn't have that great of success with them. Seems like the fish would hit but not get hooked. I have expermented with all kind and sizes of hooks for pike and I have the best luck with a smaller treble hook.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2011, 07:55 PM »
I use circles on throwlines on the Missouri River (well I did up until the flood of 2011) and love em', never used em' on tipups but I am going to give it a try this year. Making a trip out to Valentine this winter and will give them a lash then. Thanks for the idea Buddy!
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2011, 08:39 AM »
we just had a law passed  in Maine for circle hooks for striper fishing, I still won't use em, and after getting checked by the marine patrol, who said he had no interest in looking at my hooks, it will stay that way, set the hook when the fish bites and you will get a lip hook everytime, set the rod down and let it run, you might want to consider circle hooks. @)
How they biten

Offline 500mag1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2011, 08:57 AM »
circle hooks are fantastic we only lost 1 fish when we used them at the refuge lakes every thing else was kept and put in the freezer  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.