Author Topic: beaver dam tip ups?  (Read 5389 times)

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
beaver dam tip ups?
« on: Oct 17, 2003, 04:34 PM »
 ???I recently aquired some old beaver dam tip up from an old timer.  They dont spin very easily like my new ones do.  What is the best way to lube them being that they are pretty much sealed.  And whats the best lube?  Thanks
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

GatorSlayer

Re:beaver dam tip ups?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2003, 05:38 PM »
Best bet would be to send them back to the company, they will repack them and replace any parts that are failing (springs, nuts, etc) for a small charge. Otherwise you have to take the spool off and re-soder it back on. Blu-Lube is the best lube for re-packing shafts, made by HT Enterprises.

wolfeman

« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2003, 01:34 PM »
It's not really hard to do. I used to do them for people in my spare time. You remove the spindle and put it in a vise. Heat up the end of the spool with a torch. Pull off the spool. Pull out the rod. Blow out all the old grease. Wipe clean. Re-grease rod and inside of spindle with white lithium grease. Re-solder spool back on to rod. Done.
Good for a couple of years.

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2003, 02:40 PM »
If you can't get the Ht Enterprises grease. I use White Lithium grease. I've also used gun oil....works great and doesn't freeze.
Good luck....if they are that far gone, buy new ones.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2003, 12:37 AM »
shwung- I took all mine in last year.  I drive by the place every day so it was easier for me to drop them off than to do it myself.  I paid $5 a piece to have mine done and gone over.  
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2003, 02:19 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  5$ isnt bad, but Im a Do It Yourselfer! ;D so I think Im going to have to try it out.  As far as replacing them goes, Id rather save the $  for a few new rods this year. Anybody every refinish a tipup before?  Some people do look at them as a sentimental piece, usually past down from someone.
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2003, 03:25 PM »
Swung79,  I did all my Beaverdams last year.  Took them apart, re-packed the grease, took the spring and name plate off, and then sanded the wood down to respectability!  I took the wood and rubbed a light coat of Minwax Golden Oak stain on them, (light coat!) and followed it up with 3 coats of exterior grade poly spray.  I then placed all the hardware back on, replaced the red flag, and had 5 new Beaverdams that work better than before and they look good! :'(  Good luck!-Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2003, 11:06 PM »
Might have to try re-finishing one or two of mine.  I have a couple red ones which I really like but the paint is starting to fade and chip.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2003, 09:44 AM »
Thanks for the info Barleydog, will have to try it
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.