• I LOVE PERCH!!!!
Perch
« on: Jan 19, 2003, 10:01 AM »
Any ways of catching perch on tip-ups?
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

PerchBusterSD

Re: Perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2003, 05:01 AM »
use the same lures you use with bobbers or jigging, just make sure you set your tipup light so they feel no pressure. light line

RSQCAL

« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2003, 06:37 AM »
We set ours up as you would for walleye. We use a lite line leader (4 lb.), set the flag as lite as possible for the wind conditions. Make extra sure that the spools turn freely. The lightest resistance and they will let go.
Good Luck !!! :'( :'(

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2003, 11:04 AM »
I agree with RASQCAL a 3 foot, 4 or 6 lb mono or florocarbon leader then a single #4 or #6 wire hook with a 3 inch Buckeye (emerald shiner).
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline buck4dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is life the rest is just details
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2003, 08:43 AM »
yes U can use small minnows but why botherI  would rather use a jig pole.If perch are hitting good bait woul djust get set up and  :'( flag lot of work.

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2003, 03:53 PM »
I fish mostly with tip-ups for jumbos out of the love for that flag flying. Try using 4 lb. Vanish fluorocarbon, run 3-6 ft. of it
for your mono leader. Size 14 trebles or as small as 22's
depending on fish activity. Try painting shank with red nail polish(perch see red the best). Experiment with split-shot as
you need to get that bait back down if they come through but
not so heavy that fish are dropping your minnow all the time.
I usually start with fatheads sometimes steroided crappie minnows or super small suckers . The perch will let you know
what they want that day. This year all our big fish 13"+ came out of 18-24 ft. instead of your typical 30. Don't forget to "jig tip-ups now and again and check baits often they will get stripped. Show your tip-ups a little love and the fish will too!
My best advice is to get on that flag ASAP and bang em' quick
Don't think of setting but retrieving your line. This will prevent you pulling bait right out of their snouts. Who cares if the bail isn't moving or the bobber is only out an inch,TAKE EM' half the time they grab it and rise or they already have your minnow and are gone! Do not be too surprised when you start hammering eyes using this technique. This year 80% of my eyes are takin between 10am-12 noon! Gotta love that man.
Another helpful hint...keep your tip-ups close, it will help on lost fish and you create the small school of bait when your rigs are 15-20 ft from each other. Have fun.

JT :'( :'( :'(
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2003, 07:53 AM »
ditto reply 2 but also set tipup so the wind pushes flag into the release. you'll get fewer false flags. even if the perch  drop your bait you know where its worth jigging. also i've had times when flags pop down the line as schooled perch move along flats and i got the jump on them when i guessed thier movement right.

gunguru300shorty

Re:Perch
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2003, 11:19 AM »
Any ways of catching perch on tip-ups?
You betcha!
    Buy the most expensive bait you can find in your area. Set it up for the GAMEFISH that you want to catch. Work your butt off setting up, and voila! MORE PERCH THAN YOU CAN HANDLE!
  In Maine, we throw them on the ice for the crows. After the first week, we don't see any more crows..... Cuz they don't want any more Perch. ;)

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2003, 12:49 PM »
i dont uderstand how come people do that in the 1st place. thats a lot of wasted fish. and perch ranks right up there as some of the pest fish to eat. just dont understand throwin fish on the ice to waste.  >:(

Melbs            :'(

gunguru300shorty

« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2003, 07:46 PM »
The problem here on our lake is that the Perch are infested with what our Biologists call "Freshwater Fleas"
These things look like little rocks in the meat of the fish and its really gross. The little black dots are hard as rock too, so its not too appetizing. We are not proponents of wasting fish mind you. But for the sake of the other gamefish, we'll keep em in ice. On TOP of the ice. :-\ :'(

Offline CHRIS*

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2003, 05:25 PM »
The problem here on our lake is that the Perch are infested with what our Biologists call "Freshwater Fleas"
These things look like little rocks in the meat of the fish and its really gross. The little black dots are hard as rock too, so its not too appetizing. We are not proponents of wasting fish mind you. But for the sake of the other gamefish, we'll keep em in ice. On TOP of the ice. :-\ :'(

Do you have a picture of these "growths"? Would love to see what it looks like...

Chris

" Give a man a fish he will eat for a day; Teach a man how to Ice fish and he will sit out on the ice and drink beers all day!!"

gunguru300shorty

« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2003, 06:29 PM »
Sorry I don't have any pictures of the aformentioned "Growths". They just look like little rocks. Little black rocks. If you cut open a Pomegranite fruit.... Same but bigger.Pretty gross. I hope this stuff doesn't infest any other lakes. :o

acsacmboy

« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2003, 02:13 PM »
take a 3 foot piece of 15 pound mono and tie a #6 auberdeen(SP??) gold hook on the dacron. two small spilt shot about 12 inches above the hook. usea small perch minnow or walleye minnow. catches perch walleye crappie pike and maybe bass. depends on the depth where you place it. make sure the flag is on its lowest tension so it will pop if the fish takes it. check the rig every 10 minutes, jig it and rebait if necessary. DEADLY

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2003, 10:28 PM »
your talking about black grubs right?? they have a cycle that  goes from fisheating bird to snail to fish by throwing this fish on the ice all your doing is helping the grub infest the fish more
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2003, 10:41 PM »
the biggest advice that I can give is to not fish drop offs, but do not shy away from deeper water. Set some tip-ups on the shallow, first flat.
Avoid the drop off.
Set up more on the next, deeper flat after the drop off. DONT SHY FROM DEEP WATER, AND AVOID DROP OFFS.
Usually I would use about 3 inchwhole suckers, but hook the minnow parallel through the dorsal fin. This increases the hook rate. The type of jighead you should use depends on how active the perch are. Heavier so the minnow can struggle less for less aggresive perch, and for aggressive ones use a pretty light one so the minnow can move.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.