The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Echo Lake  (Read 2236 times)

Offline gotbait?

• IceShanty Rookie
Echo Lake
« on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:30 PM »
Hey everyone, 
Ive got a trip planned with the family and some friends for the kids Feb. vacation from school.  We will be staying on Echo lake in Fayette.  I'm trying to get the ice fishing regs. squared away before I head up and Im hoping you guys can help.  It looks like Echo is a two line per fisherman lake.  I have three young kids who will be fishing with me.  Can they each have their own lines?  Also, I have spent my fair share of time fishing for lake trout and salmon on the boat but any tips as to how to catch them through the ice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks ahead of time for any information you could pass along.

Pete

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
Re: Echo Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2018, 02:28 AM »
Yes as long as your kids are actively fishing legally they can have 2 lines per person. If you’re fishing for salmon you want to be set up well before dawn. Set your traps 3-5’ under the ice. Togue will bite all day. Set close to bottom.

Offline gotbait?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2018, 03:49 PM »
Hey thanks for getting back to me on this I appreciate it.  With the Togue, where do they like to be in the winter?  I know in the early spring they can be found in some shallow water.  Does that go for the winter too?  or will they be more likely to be in the deeper water?  Im not looking for any special instructions, just trying to get a good starting point in the hopes I can put the kids on a few fish.

Thanks,  Pete

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:18 PM »
Hey thanks for getting back to me on this I appreciate it.  With the Togue, where do they like to be in the winter?  I know in the early spring they can be found in some shallow water.  Does that go for the winter too?  or will they be more likely to be in the deeper water?  Im not looking for any special instructions, just trying to get a good starting point in the hopes I can put the kids on a few fish.

Thanks,  Pete

For the most part you’re going to find em in deeper water but if they’re chasing smelt you can find em just bout anywhere. I like to look for a sudden dropoff. Something that goes from 20-60 feet real fast. Set in between the drop around 30-40 close to bottom.

Offline gotbait?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:28 AM »
nbourque,  thanks a lot for the advise, it it greatly appreciated.  Are there any bait shops in the Fayette area you could recommend to get some smelt and maybe some suckers?

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:48 AM »
I’m not sure of any shops in the fayette area but there is cobbosee bait in Winthrop and jack traps in monmouth.

Offline gotbait?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:01 PM »
Hey man, thanks again for helping me out.  We will be staying on the right side of the huge Penninsula that comes up from the south and kind of divides the lake in half.  It looks like the deep hole is on the west side of the lake.  You think I'm wasting my time fishing the east side?  The map seems to show it looks to be only 30 feet deep or so.  The reason I ask is with the kids its good to be close to the house in case anyone wants to go in to warm up or whatever.  If it were just me tho I would be boogieing out by the deep water.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2018, 04:06 AM »
Deeper water is better but you never know.

Offline Troutbuster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2018, 09:39 AM »
There are cusk in there. 5 traps at night. Done well on the shoals near the islands.

Offline gotbait?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:32 PM »
Hey guys,  Thanks again for all the advise.  Im headed to Echo lake for the second half of next week and Im hoping you guys can help me out with a conditions report.  Any Idea about how much ice and weather or not there is any snow?  Thanks.

Offline Ruddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2018, 06:46 PM »
Backwoods Bait in Chesterville isn't too far from Echo

Offline Trout4evah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:41 AM »
I fished it saturday, plenty of ice 18-22".  traveling was perfect, a few inches of snow with no slush, but with the snow we received Saturday night and the weather we are getting this week. id be expecting some slush by the end of the week.

Offline gotbait?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2018, 06:10 AM »
Hey Trout thanks for the report.  Any known areas on the lake to watch out for?  We will be staying on the east side of the peninsula and Im hoping to take the sleds up and around the point to some deeper water.  With the weather coming the next couple days its got me a little nervous about the conditions. 
Thanks again for all the help,  Pete.

Offline Trout4evah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2018, 12:35 PM »
watch out around the point, theres a lot of rocks that get heated up by the sun it tends opens it up pretty good id say for a good 20 - 30 yards off it.  and obviously watch out for all the inlets.  besides that there should be plenty of ice. good luck !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.