Author Topic: Winona off limits for now?  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Winona off limits for now?
« on: Feb 10, 2015, 10:32 AM »
Saw on the news last night that due to a chemical fire nearby that the IDNR has "no activity" on Winona.  Just a heads up, does anyone have more specific details?

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
Re: Winona off limits for now?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2015, 10:43 AM »
Methanol diluted with estimated 200,000 gallons of water used to extinguish the fire ran into the lake.  They are not sure how this will impact the lake and fish.
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline whiteyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2015, 10:52 AM »
This sucks. One of my favorite lakes. Had did good there the 2 times we went this winter.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2015, 01:10 PM »
Toxicity of methanol to fish, crustacean, oligochaete worm, and aquatic ecosystem.
Kaviraj A1, Bhunia F, Saha NC.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15162848
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2015, 03:20 PM »
Toxicity of methanol to fish, crustacean, oligochaete worm, and aquatic ecosystem.
Kaviraj A1, Bhunia F, Saha NC.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15162848
Does that mean the fish glow at night??  ;D

Offline Drahtfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2015, 06:11 PM »
Found this tonight.  Looks like all is well.  https://local.nixle.com/alert/5353587/

Offline natahka72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2015, 06:59 PM »
Good news!

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2015, 07:06 PM »
They found NO CHEMICALS??  ???

Ummm I find that very hard to believe! Just because wildlife is using it doesn't mean anything. Chemicals spilled into the lake! Diluted or not, they are still there!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2015, 08:08 PM »
Flamable fish?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline natahka72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2015, 08:23 PM »
Flamable fish?

Be careful frying those up!!

Offline Kinger53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2015, 09:46 PM »
Found this tonight.  Looks like all is well.  https://local.nixle.com/alert/5353587/

This is very surprising to hear, almost hard to believe!

Offline bubbagill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Marking Reds, Catching Greens.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2015, 04:52 AM »
Seems like the old move along, there's nothing to see here, everything is fine, move along bit.  The animals didn't leave the area of the Exon Valdez either, just saying.  I truly hope for minimal impact but this seems a bit quick.  Not feeding anything from there to my family but hey to each their own.
Marking Reds, catching Greens.
HOLY COW.  Go Cubs Go.

Offline Hellgramite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2015, 06:29 AM »
    flame on

Offline AlgaeKilla

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2015, 06:54 AM »
By my rough calculations the concentration of run-off in the lake would equal 24.6 ppm once completely diluted.  That is if it were pure methanol, which it was not. I'm guessing 4:1 water to chemical which would put the concentration at about 6 parts per million. Well under the "no observed effect level"  according to the toxicity link above.

To put this in perspective 200,000 gallons diluted runoff entered the lake. Winona lake contains roughly 6,500,000,000 (6.5 billion)  gallons of water.

As pointed out by a wise old man this weekend, the real question is way did the fire department use water instead of foam?
Photobucket can suck it

Offline MandM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2015, 07:32 AM »
Don't have time to look this up, but I heard on the radio on my drive to work this morning that Winnona has been cleared.  Hopefully someone has time to confirm this information.
We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.--Douglas Adams

Offline fish_pleaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2015, 07:49 AM »
The antidote to methanol poising is 100% pure ethyl alcohol.  Maybe they poured a few bottles of moonshine into the lake.  I think the biggest threat in this situation would have been to the ice bc of the low freezing point of the methanol.  The methanol diluted to such a small amount wouldn't cause too much harm to the environment.  It obviously would melt the ice.  Most of us have probably drank cheap whiskey before, and therefore, ingested some methanol ourselves.  We didn't need treatment for it though b/c that same cheap liquor also contains the antidote (ethanol).  Fortunately, cheap whiskey serves 2 purposes.  The first being to give us a buzz, and second, to ensure that we don't get contaminated.

Offline AlgaeKilla

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2015, 08:24 AM »
Ha, I knew it. Kesslers is the cure to its own poison. It all makes since now.
Photobucket can suck it

Offline Drahtfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2015, 09:04 AM »
I also heard they were pumping oxygen into the lake to help during this spill.  Got that info from a friend CO that checked me on Saturday evening. 

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2015, 12:09 PM »
I also heard they were pumping oxygen into the lake to help during this spill.  Got that info from a friend CO that checked me on Saturday evening.
Hmmmmm.... if the CO is your friend...... why is he checking you? Just curious. I myself hunt with a buddy who is a CO ...... When I pick him up to go hunt, he has never "checked me" just sayin!

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2015, 04:48 PM »
 ???

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2015, 01:06 PM »
 ???

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2015, 01:10 PM »

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2015, 01:36 PM »
As pointed out by a wise old man this weekend, the real question is way did the fire department use water instead of foam?

Hey, who you calling old...LMAO :woot:
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2015, 02:09 PM »
doc,
i hunted with a IN CO many times, each year and  over the years..  when we met up, he'd smile and say you know the drill and i would show him my paperwork...
everytime. even caught him peeking at my boat #'s...lol  just to make sure.
just understood he was doing his due dilligence.  the repercusions of him hunting with someone who was in the act of an infraction is as he put it....not the best career move.
dont kid your self,  just like at everyone's work place...some dont play nice with others. kinda like a cop pulling over a politicain.  to some, they look the other way....but for others its a feather in their cap!
just a thought.
even got checked 3 saturdays in a row last year on adams. the last time he addressed me by name when he walked up.  its what they are paid to do.
thats why.

Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2015, 06:25 PM »
doc,
i hunted with a IN CO many times, each year and  over the years..  when we met up, he'd smile and say you know the drill and i would show him my paperwork...
everytime. even caught him peeking at my boat #'s...lol  just to make sure.
just understood he was doing his due dilligence.  the repercusions of him hunting with someone who was in the act of an infraction is as he put it....not the best career move.
dont kid your self,  just like at everyone's work place...some dont play nice with others. kinda like a cop pulling over a politicain.  to some, they look the other way....but for others its a feather in their cap!
just a thought.
even got checked 3 saturdays in a row last year on adams. the last time he addressed me by name when he walked up.  its what they are paid to do.
thats why.

Bomb.... I guess we can agree to disagree and I think the word "friend" would need to be defined. In the world I live in a "friend" would be someone I trusted completely. My friends trust me completely. Anyone else is just someone I know. I would not disrespect a friend by putting him in a position to be embarrassed by my actions such as not having a Lis or properly registered watercraft my "friend CO" knows that. As far as being checked 3 times by the same CO and him calling you by name is not 'doing his Job" it borders harassment. If he is checking your creel that's his job, asking to see your Lis 3 days in a row when he knows you have one is not. I respect your opinion but would not consider him a friend in my world.

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2015, 07:27 PM »
Is the guy with the friend CO going to weigh in on this?

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2015, 07:46 PM »
Is the guy with the friend CO going to weigh in on this?
What difference does it make? Often times I've been checked by CO's, many times by the same ones. He's doing his job! If there's others on the water he has a job to do and that's to check everyone. Doesn't make any sense to just check a select few.

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2015, 07:53 PM »
What difference does it make? Often times I've been checked by CO's, many times by the same ones. He's doing his job! If there's others on the water he has a job to do and that's to check everyone. Doesn't make any sense to just check a select few.

Geez Wally ...... ..... Can't the fella speak for himself?

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2015, 07:59 PM »
Yes he can. I just don't see it fair to check me and not check the person fishing next to me. That's his job. Most people comply. There are a select few who don't.

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2015, 08:04 PM »
Yes he can. I just don't see it fair to check me and not check the person fishing next to me. That's his job. Most people comply. There are a select few who don't.
Ok , I agree with the fair part .....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.