Author Topic: Plastics for gills  (Read 1377 times)

Offline iceonly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • just set the hook
Plastics for gills
« on: Nov 24, 2005, 12:34 AM »
Hey guys,
   I have messed around for the last few years using soft plastic tipped jigs, and a combination of plastic and live bait. Some days, a jig tipped with just a sliver of plastic can be lethal, but others I might as well be dangling an old boot. Has anyone else been experimenting with ice plastics? I think most of us have fished shrimpos and ratsos, and had some success but those are more like open water jigs down sized for ice fishing. I have read more than a few articles, where the author touts these small pieces of plastic as a replacement for live bait. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you
If it ain't cold, it ain't fishing

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Plastics for gills
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2005, 12:37 AM »
Hey Jim I use the tails from tubejig bodies...cheap because i have a million of them

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2005, 06:46 AM »
I have used small white curly tailed grubs in the past.  Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.  Seems like I always end up tipping the hook with a spike.  If you are in the right spot at the right time you can catch them on anything...if not, it is just like "dangling your boot" down there....that is why they call it "fishing" and not "catching"

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2005, 08:03 AM »
If I am fishing for panfish, I have a plastic tail on the jig 95% of the time...for me its just a matter of if I need to tip it with bait or not.  I like the shrimpo/ratso style tails from custom jigs and spins.

hali-man

« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2005, 08:50 AM »
I like the shrimpo/ratso style tails from custom jigs and spins.

These often don't need any bait. The quivering drives them nuts...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.