Author Topic: First shanty  (Read 1563 times)

bullseyebart

First shanty
« on: Dec 29, 2004, 09:29 AM »
I'm getting back into ice fishing and would like a portable shanty.  I don't have alot of $$$ and it would need to fit into the back of a Chevy Tahoe with at least one of the rear seats up.  I now have two little ones that would be going with me so there isn't alot of room in the back.  So do I build my own or find a good store bought. If I build my own wants the best way??  

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
Re: First shanty
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2004, 10:03 AM »
I'd buy one. If you can afford gas for that Tahoe, you can afford a new pop up. I have a clam 2000 pop up, it works great. If you can foot the $$, I'd go for the fold over, sled/seats built in Fish Trap. The clam is around 150 and the Trap is around 300 I think.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

bullseyebart

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2004, 12:12 PM »
I will look into both of them.  They are a little out of my price range but will still look.  As a singal father of two little ones ( 2 and 5 ) I need something that will hold up and fit with the little ones.  I would still like to try and build my own but don't have a clue how to.

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2004, 02:51 PM »
Try looking at this site, has a ton of info for do-it-yourself

http://hickorytech.net/~jbusby/house.html

Offline panfishpmp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2004, 03:04 PM »
probably still be cheaper to buy one than build. Plus then you can keep your kids into fishing by being MOBILE. if you build one and put it out and the fish aren't biting you really cant get up and move. I have a 6800 by clam ther biggest one they make i think and I can set it up, take it downa dn pull it around all set up if im only moving 20 or 30 ft at a time its no sweat. My advise is to get a good house the first time and spend a little more. it will make you and your kids trip alot more enjoyable. If money is really a huge issue, I would look for a used one. Every once in a while you get lucky. I sold an older model scout I had for $75 bucks and the guy just loves it. Good Luck

Kevin Kiffmeyer
Kevin Kiffmeyer

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2004, 04:52 PM »
The kids are too small to last long on ice. I'd skip it alltogether. Wait till you get a nice 40-45 degree day with sunshine and take em to a farm pond. One or two bluegills and a couple of catfish, dads the best! Drag em out where you and the guys sit in a shack all day and they wont want to go again. Dad stinks! Just like teaching them on open water, they loose interest a lot faster than we do. Catch a few easy ones and take em home. Hot chocolate and cookies! Dads the best! ;D ;D ;D
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2004, 09:34 PM »
Hey Bullseye. It's awesome being a single father, isn't it? I have a little daughter. I can't wait to get her out on the ice. Anyway, I like the kind with a door better than the flip shacks, like the Eskimo Pro.

bullseyebart

« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2004, 05:06 AM »
wyogato you are right "Its awesome being a single father" Kids will get bored and lose interest if all you do is sit in the shanty all day.  There is so much to look at and do out on the ice.  You are right that they won't last as long as any of us.  I've found a few plans that I like but they don't fold up small enough to fit into the Tahoe, Boy do I miss my truck :( Back to surfing the net to see what I can find.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2004, 10:11 AM »

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

bullseyebart

« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2004, 12:16 PM »
I would but it won't let me...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.