Author Topic: Question on HT Big Game tip up  (Read 2482 times)

troutstix

Question on HT Big Game tip up
« on: Dec 29, 2004, 10:39 AM »
Hello All!
I have a quick question for you all. I rec'd a couple of HT Big Game tip ups for Xmas. I am more of a jig and deadstick guy, so tip ups are a little new to me. I filled the spool with dacron, and there is a "ballpoint pen pocket clip" on the shaft above the spool/reel. What is this clip for? Thanks in advance!

Offline flagrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Question on HT Big Game tip up
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2004, 10:41 AM »
I think its to clip the flag in when not in use.

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2004, 10:44 AM »
The clip keeps the coiled spring/line guide form free wheeling around and letting out line without tripping the flag.

troutstix

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2004, 10:52 AM »
Thanks flagrunner and webguy! So I imagine that you push it down so it snug against the coiled spring/line guide? Thanks again guys!

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2004, 10:56 AM »
You got it!

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2004, 12:35 PM »
I wish I had read this earlier. I jsut threw 7 of them away!  I don't use them so I take them off!

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2004, 01:14 PM »

Webguy,  any idea where I could buy some extra clips?  I have searched locally and on the web but have come up empty so far.  I have a few polars in need.  I emailed their customer service but got no reply.  Thanks!

Sorry I don't but I've bought pens with the clips on them but they're getting harder to find. I've also put tape on the shaft and tied mono tight between the coils to add the friction needed to keep them from spinning on their own.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2004, 05:05 PM »
I have never had a problem with the line spooling off. Maybe I am lucky. I have been fishing polars since I was 8 (I am now 23) and have never had a problem without the clip. If I remember right, the clips became standard equipment within the last 5 or so years.

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2004, 06:35 AM »
The older units have a snugger fit, something changed which made them add the clip. I'm not sure if the shaft is thinner or the guide is larger than it used to be but the newer units spin way too easily without the clip.

Another option that works is a plastic cable tie (also called zip-tie) around the shaft above the the guide and around the guide arm going just underneath, it ends up kind of on a 45 degree angle.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2004, 06:44 AM »
When I put new line on my spools, I run the line through two holes of a button then I tie on a barrel swivel and leader. When I sound the bottom, I just move the button to where I want to fish. I then set the tip up. I check my traps every half hour to hour and if I see that the line has moved, I just wind it back up to the button. I have never had more than 6" of line at any given time come off the spool.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.