Author Topic: Best Blue gill colors  (Read 2158 times)

Offline dwaytkus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If she loves you, she will clean them!
Best Blue gill colors
« on: Dec 28, 2004, 09:52 PM »
Do hali's work good for Bluegills?  If they do what colors have you found to be the best?

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: Best Blue gill colors
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2004, 10:18 PM »
i have had hali's work for bluegills, usually perch color...but as soon as i find a concentration of bluegills, i usually switch to small jigs.

Offline jb7mmstw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2004, 10:20 PM »
My favorite bule gill lure is a small gold swedish pimple with a hali chain/hook tipped with 3 maggots.  I'm not sure the gold is any better than any other color but the flash deffinatly brings them in and the chain is long enough so they arn't triing to eat the pimple, just the maggots.

aquafang

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2004, 04:59 AM »
Been doing very well this winter so far with black #12 larva jigs.

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2004, 07:11 AM »
Done well with my FG's.  Monday white was the killer and Tuesday red and green worked well.  I use a sweedish pimple on inactive crappies and it works sometimes.  What works for me on one lake doesn't always work on another lake.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline Jimmy The Jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2004, 08:34 AM »
Halis work well on any pan fish(IMO)I tip them with a spike or mousy.as far as colors I think gold or silver works the best.

Offline dwaytkus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If she loves you, she will clean them!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2004, 11:33 AM »
i usually switch to small jigs.

What are your favorite small jigs to use on bluegills?

Offline TackleTester

• IceShanty Rookie
  • sorry i'm late, fishing is more important
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2004, 11:43 AM »
I personally like a bright chartreuse jig if it is overcast or if there is snow on top of the ice.  These two circumstances, of course, make it darker under the surface and the fish may have a little more trouble locating a more subtle color.  However, on a sunny day and crisp, clear ice, I like a silver or a pastel yellow with the increased light.  This is just what I have found to be the most successful.  Hope this helps

Catch em up
               Brian
CEO Tackle Testers International

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2004, 07:43 PM »
Flame Red (hot orangish Red) or Gold has done well for me on jigs. I havent had much luck using Halis for Gills, but they work magic for perch. A jig I use for gills, is a jig I make. It a wedgehead design, that "pounds" really well, and glides nicely. I "pounded" this gill below on Sunday using one of my wedgehead jig.

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2004, 06:19 AM »
Here is a trick for you to try, I have good luck with those lady bug jigs[ round,red w/black dots] then I hook a wax worm as close to the center of his body so it is horizontal ,when you jig it with little pops it must look very much alive. ;) :tipup:
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.