The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: January 1, 2007  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Wissota Bear

• IceShanty Rookie
January 1, 2007
« on: Sep 08, 2007, 09:49 PM »
Last winter was very unusual.  It was the first year I had ever seen open water on Lake Wissota in January.  I took these photos on January 1, 2007.  The big lake was unsafe for the remainder of the season.  I hope I never see another Ice Season like that again.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
Re: January 1, 2007
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2007, 10:57 PM »
We had this happen a few years ago to a bigger lake up in the U.P. OF MICH.. And even though it was a cold year the lake never froze in the middle all year long. Nobody including the DNR could figure it out.
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2007, 11:50 PM »
This happened around me on a couple of small lakes.  Was out on New Years day and waded through about 5" of water from shore to get the portable shacks out.   That would suck and I hope that this year is a lot better!!!!

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2007, 11:28 AM »
Unfortunately my boats never get put away, I have used the Jon boat to get out on to the ice, so if you ever see someone with a ice shanty in their boat wave to me. On Jan 6th I caught the only fish in a ice fishing jamboree
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2007, 11:45 AM »
Nice way to think outside of the box Jim! You deserved that fish pal! Lets all hope this year is different. Sure would be nice to be fishing at Thanksgiving again! :)

Offline hennit_seebo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2007, 03:21 PM »
Often times this happens because of the obvious... warm spells. But sometimes if we get a lot of rain that summer or the year before, some of the bigger and deeper lakes the water table rises and keeps the water more of a constant temperature.  Basically a natural spring forms from rising aquafers.  Hense the reason most trout streams dont freeze because they are spring fed.  That water doesnt get much colder or warmer during the year.  It stays consistent.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.