Author Topic: Otter XTH Resort vs Clam Escape Ice Thermal  (Read 6614 times)

Offline cardinalsfan

• IceShanty Rookie
Otter XTH Resort vs Clam Escape Ice Thermal
« on: Sep 09, 2017, 08:28 PM »
I'm planning on getting a hub style shelter soon, I already have two flip-overs that I'll probably use most of the time but I'm looking for something big that I can use when I take a few people with.  I'm trying to decide between the Otter XTH Resort and the new Clam Escape Ice Thermal.   Has anyone seen these two in person yet?  The seem to be similar in size but I believe the Clam has 900 denier fabric vs the 600 of the Otter (I could be wrong).   Just looking for a few opinions before I go out and buy one.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Otter XTH Resort vs Clam Escape Ice Thermal
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2017, 09:11 PM »
I am very happy with my Otter resort. I thought the zippers were going to be an issue, but now that things have stretched out it is fine. One of the best things that I like about Otter tents is the light grey interior. Even with a small light, you can easily see what you are doing. The black interior on other brand houses have driven me nuts in the past. I do like how Clam shacks can zip together. Another plus for Otter is the anchor screws are identical to Eskimo screws. From what I have seen in the past, Clam screws are total junk. Otter hubs do lack in storage nets for coats and such. Also, the storage bag is plenty big and easy to get the tent back into it. I also have the lodge as well with zero complaints.

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2017, 09:13 PM »
I am a huge fan of Otter flipover shelters but when I went to buy a hub I looked at the Clam shelters.  I have never liked Clam products but was very impressed by the Clam hubs.  I now own a Clam Bigfoot XL4000T and a Clam Sixpack 1660 Mag Thermal (old model Clam Escape Ice Thermal).  Very well built, nice oversize carry bag, and good tiedowns.  The only thing I replaced was the ice anchors because the Eskimo brand anchors are so much better.  I would buy again.  Looking at the new Clam Spearfish for the dark interior.  Just need to find one on sale.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2017, 09:27 PM »
I'm planning on getting a hub style shelter soon, I already have two flip-overs that I'll probably use most of the time but I'm looking for something big that I can use when I take a few people with.  I'm trying to decide between the Otter XTH Resort and the new Clam Escape Ice Thermal.   Has anyone seen these two in person yet?  The seem to be similar in size but I believe the Clam has 900 denier fabric vs the 600 of the Otter (I could be wrong).   Just looking for a few opinions before I go out and buy one.

I don't think it 900 d fabric I think what there calling 900d is a 300d interior and a 600d shell on outside I belive the xth is a very good shelter have not heard any complaints about them..seen the xth at the fishing show in novi michigan.. I liked it a lot another well insulated one was polar bird..  but there was bearly any Windows and they were up high on the model I seen .. now polar bird has changed and it's windows hopefully for the better a guy I fish with every once in a while on thd river has a Polar bird.. and is a dang nice shelter.. except for the windows his are high up to high to sit and veiw tip ups threw..  since you looking at the clam that I have not seen except the decription of 300+600 d...  like I said unless it 900+900 this year which I dont think it is.. the guy to ask about that is Montecatgeek... he is the guys that is his screen name on ice shanty he does some work for clam..  I think it's coming up or has passed the st Paul ice show wich he helps out at..  I think is the one sorry lot of names and faces on ice shanty..  might want to ask him about that shanty for the specifics of the fabric make up.. wich  a 300d interior is not bad  my frabill is 300d out side and 300d inside 600d total  .. so just to let you know me I like the otter over the frabill and clam and eskimo products bUT have always had good luck with frabill products and have always got good deals on the frabill wich is why I own them.. .. but each there own..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2017, 10:27 PM »
Comparing an otter to a clam? This is easy Otter. Clam has been putting out to much crap, and the shelters are no different.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2017, 02:49 PM »
Can't speak for the otter but I can give you more info on the Clam Escape Ice Thermal. yes it is 900 denier total thickness (450 layer then insulation then another 450 layer all sonically welded together to make the 900 denier). this replaces the now discontinued 1660 Mag Thermal from last season. It has the black roof, blue side mid panels then the lower panel is the cracked ice pattern and then final a black snow skirt. diameter is 11.5 feet across and it is a six sided hub where as the otter is four sided. center height when set up is 90 inches. pack size in the carry bag is 75" X 12" X 12" with a total weight of 60LBS.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline cardinalsfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2017, 03:06 PM »
Can't speak for the otter but I can give you more info on the Clam Escape Ice Thermal. yes it is 900 denier total thickness (450 layer then insulation then another 450 layer all sonically welded together to make the 900 denier). this replaces the now discontinued 1660 Mag Thermal from last season. It has the black roof, blue side mid panels then the lower panel is the cracked ice pattern and then final a black snow skirt. diameter is 11.5 feet across and it is a six sided hub where as the otter is four sided. center height when set up is 90 inches. pack size in the carry bag is 75" X 12" X 12" with a total weight of 60LBS.

This is what I'm trying to figure out.  Otter claims the resort has 101 sq ft of fishable space but it's only 131" across whereas the clam is 7" wider but only 94 sq ft of fishable space?  (The Resort is also six sided, not four).  The only thing I can think of is that maybe the otter doesn't slope inward as much once you get below the center hubs.....Right now I'm leaning towards the Clam because of the added height and the thicker fabric but I like the extra space of the Otter, even if it's not much.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2017, 03:17 PM »
Glad montIcatgeek clarified the fabric dinear. I think they may have changed it from what I read last year??  to this year?? but sounds like a good shanty none the less..

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2017, 05:12 PM »
Im a huge Otter fan but I think their Hubs needs work.  Everyone I know that has one has had their hubs break.  A few have zipper issues and the bag to zip them up in is a pretty tight fit.  I was going to buy one and went with a Polar Bird 4T instead.  Couldn't be happier

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2017, 06:52 PM »
I saw a picture somebody posted earlier and it looks like this years otter hubs are going to have a few new features. They added the cargo netting, changed the windows a little bit, added a hook and loop port/door to run a propane hose through, added rod holders by the cargo pockets, and redesigned their corner anchoring system to name a few thngs.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2017, 07:28 PM »
I saw a picture somebody posted earlier and it looks like this years otter hubs are going to have a few new features. They added the cargo netting, changed the windows a little bit, added a hook and loop port/door to run a propane hose through, added rod holders by the cargo pockets, and redesigned their corner anchoring system to name a few thngs.

Nice can't wait now!

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2017, 08:14 PM »
I see that now in the 2017-2018 otter online catalog.  The wide skirt and improved zipper design will be nice.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2017, 09:04 AM »
These new Otters are exactly what the originals should have been.  Serves me right for buying the first generation of a product...  Haven't even used more than 4 times yet, may try to sell locally and catch a deal on the new one.

Offline cardinalsfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2017, 09:09 AM »
I ended up grabbing the Clam at Scheels yesterday, I liked the fact that it's taller and thicker fabric, they only had the two smaller Otters in stock.  I set it up yesterday and I really like it, it's plenty big for what I'm going to use it for, I doubt I'll have more than 5 people in it and it's got plenty of room for that. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.