The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: What the sports editor wrote back to me  (Read 3044 times)

Offline icecaptain

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What the sports editor wrote back to me
« Reply #30 on: Feb 05, 2009, 08:43 PM »
  Only reason i didnt hear you say it is cuz you're over the net...  ;D
nice  ;D ;D
"the worst day of fishing is always better than a great day at work"

Offline icecaptain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 05, 2009, 08:46 PM »
ya know.....I don't want to take every kid fishing or hunting.  They may be the future,  but they need to know that hunting/fishing is not instant gratification.  In fact I think MOST OF THE ADULTS NEED TO LEARN THAT TOO. 
yeah thats why its called fishing and not catching.   you have to expect days of very few fish or none at all.
"the worst day of fishing is always better than a great day at work"

Offline sledheadsx6

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • cabin fever !!! i need to go fishin !
« Reply #32 on: Feb 05, 2009, 08:51 PM »
yeah well most adults do know that and kids need to learn that to but its alot more fun for a trip or two and it dosent hurt anything , hell just let your kid sit inside and watch tv and play video games learn how to be a real winner ! it great when you have all these kids growing up to be thiefs and cheats and what ever else that isnt productive teach them the outdoors its a natural high just like ted nugent says , and by the way theres nothin wrong with a little redneckin ! around these parts we dont stand for kids that like to grow up into a cheat and steal , i got a hunk of lead for that !!!

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 05, 2009, 08:53 PM »
True.....but hunting/fishing will not replace good parenting...that will truly keep your kids from stealing etc. 
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 05, 2009, 08:54 PM »
around these parts we dont stand for kids that like to grow up into a cheat and steal , i got a hunk of lead for that !!!

Hey! I think we mighta found somethin we can all agree on!!!

Offline sledheadsx6

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • cabin fever !!! i need to go fishin !
« Reply #35 on: Feb 05, 2009, 08:57 PM »
 ;D yeah well thats why its call hunting and not killing ! next time i wont say a thing seems like most people on here are for them self theres no reports on this site  ???

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 05, 2009, 08:58 PM »
Slabs on CHEIF NOONDAY.....
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 05, 2009, 09:18 PM »
nobody listens RC. 

Offline uofmguy68

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 05, 2009, 09:25 PM »
Vex... the sport writer did not ruin the lake, its not like he brought home every fish that was taken from the lake or told everyone, hey for a free meal go get your limit here... he said fishing was good and people listened.... people need to be responsible, and who ruined the lake was the fishermen like you and me.... well not exactly like you and me becuase i probably wouldnt have kept the fish as i like to practice catch and release for the most part  in order to kept em comming up all day and the next.... it was the fisherman who over fished and kept every fish put on the line....  thats who destroyed the pond / lake of good size fish.... maybe if some of them were more responsible fishermen or in it for the sport and not bringing home every fish they caught.... or could it be maybe they kept the fish as food in this bad ecomony... i know people who fish the flint river every day, i see them, thats where their lunch and dinner come from.... i see them day after day in the summer and guess what i toss em some fish if i know thats what they are doing...

also i know you said it was a lake but about the size of the pond.... there are many lakes that size around me here in genesee co, you mention a pond or lake that does good around here, expect to see 15-20 people there the next time you go out.... i know of 3 or 4 ponda myself that i talked about on the net and then seen people out fishing it when i never ran into anyone out there before.... do you want me to name some of them? these ponds/lakes are so small that i cant even use the gas motor on because itd be a waste and just foul plugs from starting and stopping the engine... those are the best lakes... the ones with little traffic i know what it is like to loose a honey hole but what is wrong with publicly announced a public lake...

also gills are like rats, they multiply.... just give it time and it will recover... they all do... there is also something else to think about... if the fish population gets to big then the population as a whole will become stunted and then once all the big fish are gone you are left with stunted dinks becouse of the over crowding and limited food/resources, etc... another thing i have seen an over population of gills in ponds lead to undersized game fish.... and i have also seen an over population of game fish lead to a depleted gill population... the key is management thru conservation which is everyones responsibility.... including the sports writer, would you have been happy if he mentioned the lake / pond was a delicate ecosystem and to maintain great resouces like this fisherman need to be responsible?

i know it sucks man, ive went out to local ponds i mentioned on the net and seen the number of fisherman double, sometimes tripple.... i have had some small ponds get devistated and guess what it was probably my fault for getting on here and talking about them..... or for letting people know wheres a good bite at the bait shop... id really hate to walk up and try to fish next to you... you might bite my head off because i am fishing in your hole, or you might get the idea that the only reason i am fishing by you is to catch the fish becuouse i see you doing good and not even have you think maybe im there for the conversation and good times....  but really going back to the topic the sports writer did not ruin the lake, the fisherman like you and i did.... taking home limits day after day did is what done it.... goes back to the whole poessesion discussion over on MS.... is it a daily possession in your bucket, or does the freezer full of fish at home count towards your limit... and its your responsibilty to not over fish an area... thats being a responsible fisherman...

Offline Bucketfiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 05, 2009, 09:29 PM »
I only know about Swan lake(pond) from reading it here. Not surprising that if someone says there`s some gills or some jumbos by the buckets  being caught,that you are going to be sharing that body of water...Large or small, facts of life.To keep this site along with MS as good or better than any of the  other`s out there is because of the class of its members....giving up names of lakes and methods for catching is part of the fellowship of the whole thing.Will there be fisherman who take more than there limit? Yes. Will there be fisherman who litter? Yes..Will there be fisherman who keep all the large spawners and not the smaller better tasting ones? Yes...Heres the real question,,,were are the freaking co`s and the dnr at??? I`ll tell ya, there up here in my neck of the woods making sure the tribe and there gill-netting activities  are not being disturbed.And allowing the taking of way to many lake trout,brown and rainbow trout ,along with whitefish and walleye out of all our lakes up here... Care to share your views on a much bigger issue ?

No! Damn, I just got on this site to get some tips on how to, and where to get some fish. Lots of whining and complain. So where the tribes getting all these fish! I need to get to them before they do:)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.