The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Have Ya'll Seen This ??  (Read 10178 times)

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
Have Ya'll Seen This ??
« on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:02 PM »
I think this is a bunch of BS.....We already have to buy a "Permanent OHV Sticker" for our toys !!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Have Ya'll Seen This ??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:46 PM »
Wow, it is a bunch of BS, nothing like nickel and dining a guy to death.

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2020, 10:39 PM »
Just think what they would do if we just stopped buying a lot of paper to  let us do what we love??
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2020, 06:58 AM »
Wow sounds like your state gov.is getting its advice from taxachusetts.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2020, 07:05 AM »
The way that they wrote this, it even includes a SNOWDOG. (I think that someone must be spying on this site...)

OHV Definition

An off-highway vehicle (OHV) is a self-propelled vehicle used for recreation or cross-country travel on public lands, trails, easements lakes, rivers or streams. The term includes but is not limited to motorcycles, ATVs, dune buggies, amphibious vehicles, air cushion vehicles, and any other means of land transportation deriving motive power from any source other than muscle or wind. Four-wheel-drive trucks registered as motor vehicles are not considered OHVs.

Apparently, however, a kite powered sailboard system would be exempt.  Behold, the next Smitty... ;D

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2020, 10:41 PM »
Im surprised we don’t have to buy an Ice Fishing License

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2020, 12:13 AM »
Im surprised we don’t have to buy an Ice Fishing License

Yeah.....I hope we never see that !!

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2020, 07:49 PM »
To all the off roaders out there leave the elk alone this time of year they are stressed enough, the cows are pregnant, and they just got over a long hunting season. They deserve a break. Leave them alone. Saw it the other day. Dude wasn’t even close to being on a road. Nothing makes my blood boil more then seeing OHV’s doing what they aren’t supposed to do. It’s becoming all to frequent. Have a good evening!

Offline Nockdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2020, 02:53 AM »
its for designated trails and roads that are there for people to use their OHV's on in the first place. They should have to pay. Personally, I would be happy if they shut down every trail to motorized use. If you can't take a full size vehicle on it, walk or get a horse. 

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2020, 08:34 AM »
That would be a dream come true if everything was shut down to motorized use

Troy1033

« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2020, 10:19 AM »
Yeah and we should have to drag our sleds from the house when we want to go fishing driving on the highway is just ridiculous

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2020, 10:58 AM »
Just talked to FWP and this does not pertain to driving on the Ice with wheelers and sxs

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2020, 11:07 AM »
The definition of OHV doesn't specifically list snowmobiles, but appears to clearly cover snowmobiles.

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2020, 11:22 AM »
Nope I’m 32 years old and old school to the bone. I’ll walk and walk and walk some more and I’ll do it for a long time cuz I take care of myself. My dad and grandpa are still gettin after it none of the old timers had side by sides to off road everywhere they pleased

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2020, 02:11 PM »
Have a good day as well

Offline Nockdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2020, 03:36 PM »
When I get older and broken down I’ll focus on a less physically demanding hobby. Like ice fishing. Which this fee has absolutely zero to do with.

As far as continuing to do what we enjoy when we get older, or injured, wheelchair bound or anything else that takes it from us, what makes us entitled to participating for life? Be happy for the time you get and make the most of it while you can. Making things easier and more accessible isn’t always the answer. Neither is shutting everything down. But a permit which generates revenue to maintain the trail system isn’t the man sticking it to the people. Read the bill.   

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2020, 03:44 PM »
Bobberdown, I like you, I think you are a funny dude, and we agree on a lot. That said, I think we just hate people that take privileges, then mis-use them, and then think that privilege should be a right!

... old, old timers didn't have power augers, or sonar, or scopes for their rifles, or compound bows. Doesn't mean I'm not old school, doesn't mean I'm not hardcore, but if I can avoid it I'm not going back to those times.

Had to buy a trail pass for my sled to have the luxury to ride on a groomed trail. The problem I have is paying for a pass to ride a "forest circus" trail that has had absolutely no upkeep (spring, summer, fall) no matter how many trail passes that get purchased. These fees need to go to local trails for the benefit of the local economy and residents. That's the major beef I have.... the dollars I pay to use my trails are not being used for those trails... And make no mistake,.... those are our roads and trails! Not the Forest Circus' no matter what their ego says to the contrary. They are only employed to take care of them and yet somehow they weaseled their way into policing them >:(!!!!

and I'm sick of buying a permit to be a human!

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2020, 08:02 PM »
its for designated trails and roads that are there for people to use their OHV's on in the first place. They should have to pay. Personally, I would be happy if they shut down every trail to motorized use. If you can't take a full size vehicle on it, walk or get a horse.
Yeah and that horse should have a off-road sticker on its ass. Horses cause as much damage to trails and roads as OHV do. Why do you think all the old mining trails are still around that people hike on? How much fuel tax does a horse generate vs OHV? All the fuel used in those machines and 90% of them don’t touch pavement.
Yes some dink’s do abuse the OHV rules and tear crap up but there is also a ton who don’t.
This closing crap down business is getting old. Montana has a lot of revenue coming in year round from OHV and sleds. Lose that revenue and businesses are gonna close and taxes will go up and then people will be b***hing about why.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #18 on: Apr 13, 2020, 02:14 PM »
http://fwp.mt.gov/news/newsReleases/recreation/nr_0544.html

Well, here it is..Looks like the ATV's & SxS's have to have this new trail pass..Why?? Because all the roads & trails we use them on are all considered designated motorized routes !!

Still makes no sense to me tho..My ATV & SxS have a license plate which is required to ride on public streets, roads, etc..Also have the OHV decal that is required for off highway use..So in my mind I've already paid twice for the right to use my toys..Oh well, nothing I can do but buy the damn thing I guess..Can still gripe about it tho - LOL !!

Offline SLIMMETT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Apr 14, 2020, 10:55 PM »
For what it’s worth here is my opinion. Feel free to agree or disagree.  I see illegal motorized use all hunting season on federal and state land.  Carry a phone with you, take pics, have game warden numbers readily available, and report all infractions.  Law enforcement is spread thin but pictures of vehicles and plates help them out.
To me it’s a matter of security for game.  To much motorized traffic on a regular basis and animals leave.
I have no problem with people using them where legal, I avoid those areas.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Apr 15, 2020, 09:40 AM »
Have a good day as well

That snitch guy will argue with you no matter what. You should have seen the posts about leaving fish on the ice if they are invasives.....

Offline jakediesel1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Apr 15, 2020, 11:46 AM »
we have the same type of thing in wyoming. (ORV sticker). I dont mind paying for it if it helps for maintaining the trails and help game and fish police the trails for people not abiding by trail policies.
we have alot of wonderful places up red grade road that you could never get to unless you accessed by atv or dirt bike and im thankful for the ORV trails and my family enjoys using them and following the restrictions. Just like I dont mind buying AIS stickers for my non motorized kayaks as long as it is going to benefit helping keep invasive species out of the waters here. To each his own opinion and everyone enjoy the outdoors how they feel instead of putting down others for using motorized just because they would rather walk.

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Apr 15, 2020, 11:06 PM »
If you can afford all those toys you can afford the 5 dollar sticker that goes on them. I’m puttin a bullet through the engine of the next one I see doin illegal crap. Leave the elk alone

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Apr 16, 2020, 08:36 AM »
be careful they dont shoot back. by the way when are visiting hours at the jail?
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #24 on: Apr 16, 2020, 09:36 AM »
Really none of my business but we have a similar sticker for sled here in WI. First there's a 3 years registration sticker BUT if you want to run any of the state/county/club maintained trails an annual trail pass is required. Most of the proceeds go back to fund that service so I get that. I've got a sled only for ice fishing, I'm no trail rider. Thing is to access a number of lakes the only way on or off is via these maintained trails unless you trespass so I gotta pony up. For me it's part of the cost of my winter fishing and a relatively small price to pay for the access.

Just a different perspective, no judgement on your situation out there.

BTW I'm with you BobberdownMT. Used to walk in about a mile and a half to deer hunt for decades. Rarely had any competition for spots and shot a pile of nice bucks. Then they opened the property up to ATVs and any bozo with a few grand and a GPS could beat me there without breakin' a sweat, leave for lunch and come back in the afternoon. And they came in droves. I finally quit trying to battle the current and found other places to hunt. Now the area's been closed to vehicles again but I'm not 26 anymore and could be in better shape. It ain't the walk in or out. It's the eventuality of having to drag something with me that's kept me from revisiting. Sigh...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #25 on: Apr 16, 2020, 10:30 AM »
If you can afford all those toys you can afford the 5 dollar sticker that goes on them. I’m puttin a bullet through the engine of the next one I see doin illegal crap. Leave the elk alone

Not quite sure what your ignorant off topic replies have to do with the thread, but thanks nonetheless for the useless not so solid piece of advice !!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #26 on: Apr 16, 2020, 10:32 AM »
be careful they dont shoot back. by the way when are visiting hours at the jail?

:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Apr 16, 2020, 01:58 PM »
I’m happy to go there. If you don’t want to don’t do illegal crap. I’m tired of seeing people abuse the land and animals with those lazy machines. I’m very passionate about this by the way

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Apr 17, 2020, 03:01 AM »
i understand being passionate about something but,illegal crap?when did they make putting a bullet in some ones engine block legal?
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Apr 17, 2020, 11:02 AM »
They didn’t. I feel like the reward of protecting the land and wildlife is worth it. I was hiking a south facing open aspect the other day. Somebody had already gridded it with a four wheeler. Tracks up and down the whole thing. It was early in the hike only 2 miles from the nearest road but **censored**? It happens a lot and future generations need to know it’s not ok to do that

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.