Author Topic: Best jighead and bait  (Read 3777 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Best jighead and bait
« Reply #30 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:30 PM »
Ive tried all sorts of techniques from YouTube and it never works Its local info from forums that have been a real make or break deal. Its details like this that are going to attract the school towards you rather then the guy next to you

You should change your profile location to reflect the county and state ..DEC Region 8 ??? many states number their regions ..folks in your county and state may see your posts and may reply with the lures and techniques that work best .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #31 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:32 PM »
You should change your profile location to reflect the county and state ..DEC Region 8 ??? many states number their regions ..folks in your county and state may see your posts and may reply with the lures and techniques that work best .
I mentioned that a while back

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing Die fishing
« Reply #32 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:38 PM »
Dec is for ny states version  as minnesota’s dnr

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:53 PM »
I mentioned that a while back
And i did

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:57 PM »
 And yet you ask on the general chit chat  thread 🤔
 Stick to NY , and closer to home you will get better answers ,
 As fishing is different in other states no help here ,
 To help you learn much of the info you seek is here , go back through waters close to home you can pick up a lot of info , there is no magic lure to catch all species

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:59 PM »
Based on your previous posts/questions ..you fish in some tough conditions 4 fow in a weedy flat . If your prey is Pike and you are in NY . My action plan would consist of dead bait on 5-6 tip ups..with 25 lbs dacron line and various leaders ..mono ..steel...fluorocarbon ..set at various depth ..bottom ..middle..top ...in the weeds and on the edge of weeds ..and change in bottom composition ...sand.. rock etc is another area I would explore. On my jigging rods I would use a rattling bait ..and jig in the area and/or holes of my tip ups...second rod would be a rattling spoon ..maybe glow for added measure. After that its tweaking and moving . Have an action plan ..change that plan if need be ..but most importantly is have confidence in that plan/lure/set up or change it . After all is said and done learn from what you did right and what you think you did not so right . Its called fishing and not catching . Enjoy the good times and the not so good times .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Sep 27, 2020, 07:26 PM »
Based on your previous posts/questions ..you fish in some tough conditions 4 fow in a weedy flat . If your prey is Pike and you are in NY . My action plan would consist of dead bait on 5-6 tip ups..with 25 lbs dacron line and various leaders ..mono ..steel...fluorocarbon ..set at various depth ..bottom ..middle..top ...in the weeds and on the edge of weeds ..and change in bottom composition ...sand.. rock etc is another area I would explore. On my jigging rods I would use a rattling bait ..and jig in the area and/or holes of my tip ups...second rod would be a rattling spoon ..maybe glow for added measure. After that its tweaking and moving . Have an action plan ..change that plan if need be ..but most importantly is have confidence in that plan/lure/set up or change it . After all is said and done learn from what you did right and what you think you did not so right . Its called fishing and not catching . Enjoy the good times and the not so good times .

What rattling bait would you use in what size and color

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Sep 27, 2020, 07:35 PM »

What rattling bait would you use in what size and color

Match the pattern and size of the primary forage ...or clown color ..your choice got to experiment .

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Sep 27, 2020, 07:40 PM »

Plans are rod
1/16 oz jighead with plastic
Jigging rap
Rattling spoon or jigging spoon
Looking for specifics that work

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Sep 27, 2020, 07:48 PM »
And yet you ask on the general chit chat  thread 🤔
 Stick to NY , and closer to home you will get better answers ,
 As fishing is different in other states no help here ,
 To help you learn much of the info you seek is here , go back through waters close to home you can pick up a lot of info , there is no magic lure to catch all species
Daredevle spoons have worked for pike in multiple places
Senkos work for bass everywhere

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #40 on: Sep 28, 2020, 10:37 PM »
Round jig head and minnow...is best overall.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Sep 28, 2020, 11:02 PM »
Do you have a fish finder?
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Sep 29, 2020, 05:47 AM »

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Sep 29, 2020, 08:23 AM »
If you want to catch perch....
figure out where the schools travel during the winter....weed flats, basins, pinch points, saddles, etc.
Set up tipdowns - as many as your state allows - around you. Use light line and minnows/minnow heads or perch eyes
Set up a jigging rod in the middle of your tip down spread.
You can gauge the direction of the school travel by watching the tip downs fall
Get ahead of the school
If you are catching dinks, move....small perch school together and large perch school together, they often do not mix as they target different foods

By reading your posts, it seems you need to learn to adapt to the fish you are targeting. Go fishing on these bodies of water before ice up so you can figure out the pattern - they don't change much after ice up/early ice period. Figure out where the fish are at ice out....this will help you on late ice.

Put in some time, try new things, watch the video above or buy the book. It is a great high level starting point

Catchin' Fish

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Sep 29, 2020, 09:40 AM »
No
start making money!  A quality flasher would help alot.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Sep 29, 2020, 11:19 AM »
start making money!  A quality flasher would help alot.
Doesn’t matter when its only 4 ft with 2 feet of weeds everywhere and you can see bottom

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Sep 29, 2020, 12:12 PM »
So you are seeing fish but can't catch any?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #47 on: Sep 29, 2020, 12:25 PM »
I would try different lakes if you are not doing  good on that shallow lake.fishing takes skill but not like putting a rubix cube together skill.cavemen were doing it with vines,bone hooks and dinosaur meat for bait.lol

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Sep 29, 2020, 01:05 PM »
I would try different lakes if you are not doing  good on that shallow lake.fishing takes skill but not like putting a rubix cube together skill.cavemen were doing it with vines,bone hooks and dinosaur meat for bait.lol
I mainly fish one place with a trip to another place like once a season

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Sep 29, 2020, 03:01 PM »

It seems you have spent more time on the internet than fishing!
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Sep 29, 2020, 03:24 PM »

There are other ponds/lakes in that area that you can fish that will provide more opportunity than Braddocks. From what I have read, Braddocks is not a very productive body of water, making even the best days relatively slow compared to other places. It's REALLY, REALLLLLLY hard to learn how to do anything successfully if there are not many fish to be caught. I learned all of my tip-up "skills" fishing a lake 10 minutes from my house where I grew up in PA named Rose Valley Lake. Locals nicknamed the place "Death Valley" during the winter because fish other than bass/pickerel were hard to come by, especially without a flasher or camera. I never learned how to jig until I started going to places that had a better panfish population. I realized after learning how to jig that I basically hate everything about tip-up fishing, except for 1-2 days a year that I take more than one other person with me. Plus bait in NY is expensive and dealing with the 10-day rule is annoying.

Here are the other places within a 30 minute drive:

100 Acre Pond in Mendon
Irondequoit Bay
Buck Pond
Cranberry Pong
Long Pond
Probably dozens of farm ponds local to you.

Not sure where exactly you live, but those are the places JUST in Monroe county. Expanding out to Wayne, Ontario, Livingston, Genesee, and Orleans counties opens up to a ton of places. Sodus Bay in Wayne County would be a really good place to learn how to jig if you can make it over there. it's about an hour from Braddocks and has a great perch fishery.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Sep 29, 2020, 03:28 PM »
There are other ponds/lakes in that area that you can fish that will provide more opportunity than Braddocks. From what I have read, Braddocks is not a very productive body of water, making even the best days relatively slow compared to other places. It's REALLY, REALLLLLLY hard to learn how to do anything successfully if there are not many fish to be caught. I learned all of my tip-up "skills" fishing a lake 10 minutes from my house where I grew up in PA named Rose Valley Lake. Locals nicknamed the place "Death Valley" during the winter because fish other than bass/pickerel were hard to come by, especially without a flasher or camera. I never learned how to jig until I started going to places that had a better panfish population. I realized after learning how to jig that I basically hate everything about tip-up fishing, except for 1-2 days a year that I take more than one other person with me. Plus bait in NY is expensive and dealing with the 10-day rule is annoying.

Here are the other places within a 30 minute drive:

100 Acre Pond in Mendon
Irondequoit Bay
Buck Pond
Cranberry Pong
Long Pond
Probably dozens of farm ponds local to you.

Not sure where exactly you live, but those are the places JUST in Monroe county. Expanding out to Wayne, Ontario, Livingston, Genesee, and Orleans counties opens up to a ton of places. Sodus Bay in Wayne County would be a really good place to learn how to jig if you can make it over there. it's about an hour from Braddocks and has a great perch fishery.

Cranberry is always jammed packed people might as well live on that ice
Long pond ive been waiting to try

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Sep 29, 2020, 03:37 PM »
there is probably a reason that cranberry is busy though! Most people eventually stop fishing at places that they don't catch fish, and most people enjoy going to places they do catch fish.

Long pond is 3 minutes down the road from Braddocks. Try something new if you can't seem to catch fish at the same place you always go to...……….
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Sep 29, 2020, 04:45 PM »
there is probably a reason that cranberry is busy though! Most people eventually stop fishing at places that they don't catch fish, and most people enjoy going to places they do catch fish.

Long pond is 3 minutes down the road from Braddocks. Try something new if you can't seem to catch fish at the same place you always go to...……….

Im only 17 parents only let me go to Braddock unless i go with friend who they trust
The perch are there its just all the pike at Braddock that make them hard to get

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #54 on: Sep 29, 2020, 04:54 PM »
Im only 17 parents only let me go to Braddock unless i go with friend who they trust The perch are there its just all the pike at Braddock that make them hard to get

Good parents you have there young man. One should probably not go on the ice alone at any age but...  :whistle:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Sep 29, 2020, 04:56 PM »
this is so hard to know where to begin...the ice fishing secrets books/videos was where i started out when i was a young'n and nobody i knew ice fished so that's a good start.

i've never seen catchable perch in 4fow.  once i've found perch they are rarely that tricky to catch.  you need to find deeper water or a different lake.  set a tipup with a big dead smelt/cisco/any fish on a quick strike rig.  if there's pike you will catch.  for the perch go to 4-6lb fluoro and a small buckshot, with minnow head or maggots until you catch the first one.  then pop an eye out for bait and fill your bucket. sometimes they like jigging, other times deadstick.  no steel leaders, no snap swivels just line to lure.  things will come together with experience, you're young with lots of years ahead.

one never stops learning when it comes to fishing.   or just come to canada and you'll catch anything you want on that daredevle  ;D

p.s. find a way to get a cheap flasher.
 p.p.s.  christmas is coming..

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #56 on: Sep 29, 2020, 05:33 PM »
The perch are there its just all the pike at Braddock that make them hard to get

I'd say then ditch the perch and focus on the pike. As long at they're 24" or bigger they eat terrific! Learn how to clean 'em boneless and you'll be a hero. Wish I had that problem...  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Sep 30, 2020, 04:14 AM »
Good parents you have there young man. One should probably not go on the ice alone at any age but...  :whistle:
Never said i was alone

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Sep 30, 2020, 12:18 PM »
I make a magic jig that catches all species and more of them than anyone I am fishing with.  I have made some for some close friends but we don’t tell anyone about them.  We just go into the area and catch all the fish while everyone else stares.  To make them EDIT, delete, delete  I think I already said too much about it.

There is some great advice given here.  Try to hook up with some locals that can show you what they are doing and how it works for them.
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Sep 30, 2020, 12:21 PM »
I'd say then ditch the perch and focus on the pike. As long at they're 24" or bigger they eat terrific! Learn how to clean 'em boneless and you'll be a hero. Wish I had that problem...  ;)2
Thats what tip ups are for
Im trying to catch perch because a catching nothing is boring and want to catch something in between and b lure in pike actually worked once last year (2028-2019) then every other time we always saw pike where we fished.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.