Author Topic: Ice fishing trash, litter.  (Read 4450 times)

Offline yoopr

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing trash, litter.
« on: Apr 01, 2021, 08:07 PM »
I hope all of you had a great and successful, albeit short ice fishing season on the great Lakes this year.
One of my pet peeves is how much trash some ice fishermen leave behind. From beer cans to bait containers.
 I have seen many fishermen pick up trash as they see it, and I do too, but tons of litter is left  on the ice every year.
My wife took an early spring walk by the Ford river mouth today, she came back and said the sheer amount of trash was disgusting - she grabbed a garbage bag, went back out and carried it completely full back to the car, it weighed no less than 30 pounds, she said there is still a bunch more, she found beer cans, soda bottles, cigarette containers, bait containers, lengths of fishing line, bottles, plastic zip lock bags with rotting bait all washed up on the shore, which means it's fresh from this season.
Ford River mouth was a popular ice fishing spot this year.

It would be great if everyone did a better job, picking up after others who just don't care, and those of you who think it's ok to litter in or on our Great Lakes, please  change your attitude, please respect the lakes and shores, respect your sport, respect others.

Thanks,
Looking forward to seeing all my ice fishing friends next season.

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice fishing trash, litter.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2021, 09:48 PM »
Thanks for bringing this up! I always pick up trash as I encounter it, but it doesn't make me happy.

How anyone can consider themselves a sportsperson and then so blatantly disrespect the resource that provides them the opportunity is beyond me.

Thanks to you and your wife for doing your part, and thanks to all of you who help keep our resources clean.

Lac Vieux Desert had a lot of trash, attached photo from there back in January

Offline SPIN 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2021, 07:22 AM »

People suck
More than 3 cars in my driveway when I get home ? Probably an intervention! I’m outta there!

Offline Extcat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2021, 08:57 PM »
I have not seen much this year, not everyone’s bad!

Offline yoopr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2021, 09:29 PM »
Thanks for bringing this up! I always pick up trash as I encounter it, but it doesn't make me happy.

How anyone can consider themselves a sportsperson and then so blatantly disrespect the resource that provides them the opportunity is beyond me.

Thanks to you and your wife for doing your part, and thanks to all of you who help keep our resources clean.

Lac Vieux Desert had a lot of trash, attached photo from there back in January

I appreciate your reply, I know a lot of people who pick up other trash - all the time, as you said, the blatant disrespect is baffling. I hope that by bringing this up, people start to see that their trash left on the ice doesn't magically disappear

Offline yoopr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2021, 09:35 PM »
You are right, there certainly are a lot of very good sports people, conscientious and go the extra mile to pick up after others. It's the picking up after others that shouldn't exist. Thanks to all who help keep it clean.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2021, 01:07 PM »
Yoopr sadly the subject of trash seems to be mentioned here on ice Shanty yearly. Like others i always try to have a trash bag with me when on a fishing trip and send some time picking up any thing i see left by others. Thank you to everyone else who deos the same thing also a belated welcome to Ice Shanty.

Snitch#8 great story.

Steve

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2021, 03:25 PM »
Yeah its trash ever year but now its evolved into masks and gloves laying on or by the lakes and rivers.

Offline Fishhead680

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2021, 12:42 PM »
Snitch#8
That is a really great story. Thanks for sharing that.

Offline yoopr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2021, 11:26 AM »
SNitch#8, what a great story, Thank you very much for sharing it. And thanks for your fathers day idea.
 As a young boy in my early teens, my best friends dad used to take 4 or 5 of us out in the old '60's pickup, we'd ride on the tailgate, he'd drive real slow, we'd take turns running to grab the trash and cans on the side of the camp road. This was on a very popular lake road with a lot of camps and homes on it. We used to look forward to that every spring, we had a lot of fun, we felt good about what we were doing and it helped mold our characters.

Another story, My wife and I were going fishing at Bass lake in the U.P. we were getting our boat ready, when we watched a father and his son begin backing their boat into the lake, the Dad had gotten out to unhook the boat from the trailer, and while Dad was busy, the young son (8 or 9 years old) rolled down his window and hung his arm down, he dropped a candy wrapper on the ground. I waited until the father was back in his truck, I raised my arm and said, hang on a second, I walked up to the side of the truck, bent over, picked up the wrapper and handed it back to the boy "saying, I think you dropped this by accident", I turned and walked away. The father looked very disappointed as you could tell how the son dropped the wrapper, he knew his Dad wouldn't approve.
I like to think it was a learning moment for the son, but I have no idea. 

Offline yoopr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2021, 11:34 AM »
Yeah its trash ever year but now its evolved into masks and gloves laying on or by the lakes and rivers.

I have noticed those items as well. I am amazed by the shear volume of added trash, I hope by bringing it up in this forum, more people will be conscientious about how they dispose of items on the ice as well as on land. And I hope this encourages those who pick up trash to feel inspired to help. Your good deeds are noticed.

I have a small group of friends that even clean up fly tipping. We will all pitch in to dispose of items collected in the woods or by the side of the road.
Thanks to all who help !

Offline yoopr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2021, 11:38 AM »
Yoopr sadly the subject of trash seems to be mentioned here on ice Shanty yearly. Like others i always try to have a trash bag with me when on a fishing trip and send some time picking up any thing i see left by others. Thank you to everyone else who deos the same thing also a belated welcome to Ice Shanty.

Snitch#8 great story.

Steve
Steve,
I think if we all pitch in to keep our lakes, rivers and recreational places clean, we all benefit. Thank you for commenting, and thank you for pitching in.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2021, 01:04 PM »
In addition to the trash, remember used fishing line. There are several locations where there are line disposal stations for used line, but if not, it only takes a second to pick it up and put it in a pocket.
I carry a quart zip-lock bag especially for this purpose, and always seem to find some while ice or shoreline fishing, or have a “birds nest” or two. The baggie holds a lot of line, and is easily disposed of at the end of the day.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Online ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Apr 07, 2021, 02:21 PM »
Time of year doesn't  seem to matter. I was taking my Jeep back into a primitive campground in  Wyoming and there were signs saying "If you pack it in, pack it out". Someone had filled five paper grocery bags with trash, printed "PACK OUT YOUR TRASH" on the bags and left them by the side of the trail. I picked them up and took them out when I left. All these idiot do-gooders did was add five paper bags to the problem. Could be they were walking and  didn't want to carry five bags of trash out with them. At least I didn't have to bag the trash.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Online ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2021, 02:41 PM »
Maybe they thought others couldn't read all the signs along the two mile long Jeep trail. This was during the days of "flower power", so they may have been smoking some really good stuff.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #15 on: Apr 08, 2021, 09:43 PM »
Yoopr thank you for your kind words.
Snitch#8 good idea for Father's day.
Dr.Speckler I live in an apartment complex and see discarded masks and gloves along the complex's walkways. gets to me that some people do not even respect where they live.
Ice Dawg thank you for your story and disposing of the bagged trash. Like others have posted hopefully whomever bagged the trash was going to come back and pick up the bags.

Steve

Online ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Apr 09, 2021, 11:40 AM »
Yoopr thank you for your kind words.
Snitch#8 good idea for Father's day.
Dr.Speckler I live in an apartment complex and see discarded masks and gloves along the complex's walkways. gets to me that some people do not even respect where they live.
Ice Dawg thank you for your story and disposing of the bagged trash. Like others have posted hopefully whomever bagged the trash was going to come back and pick up the bags.

Steve
I was the only person in that campground and lots of people were backpacking in those days. I thought they probably were backpackers who cleaned the mess up and didn't want to pack it out with them. Instead of throwing my face masks out after a few uses I put them in my SoClean with my CPAP mask and sanitize them together. They can last for quite a while by doing this.

Offline yoopr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Apr 21, 2021, 02:10 PM »
In addition to the trash, remember used fishing line. There are several locations where there are line disposal stations for used line, but if not, it only takes a second to pick it up and put it in a pocket.
I carry a quart zip-lock bag especially for this purpose, and always seem to find some while ice or shoreline fishing, or have a “birds nest” or two. The baggie holds a lot of line, and is easily disposed of at the end of the day.

This is a good point, thanks for reminding us.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.