Author Topic: LX7 changed when down loaded the up dates.  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
LX7 changed when down loaded the up dates.
« on: Aug 27, 2017, 06:03 AM »
When I first got my lx7 about 5 years ago ,I could just run my Sonar graph and be able to have only my gauges on.
Now I am one back from the latest up date.   
Anyways  I can not just bring up the gauges, I must have another feature on like the bar graph  then the gauges will appear .
Is it just my unit ?
Is the latest up date better for just bring up the gauges.
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: LX7 changed when down loaded the up dates.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2017, 09:47 AM »
mine is buried. how ever yours works should be how it was meant to function. if i get it out, i will see what mine does, but mine is a lx9. i use half graph and the other half it the two water columns and some time with the gauges, but mostly not.

you could always call marcum and ask them about it.

try the update. it makes it better and if you don't like it i can email the firmware your using now should you not like the updated firmware.

i was on the phone with marcum a couple days ago and he mentioned that the updates are extensively tested and for certain does make the units perform better. being it change how it works, you will have to relearn the unit some with setting.

for me the gauges are not used much, but are handy when i want to check some things.

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2017, 05:51 PM »
3300........as long as you were on the phone with those guys, any chance you asked them when they will finally release a software enhancement to all us LX-9 guys?
We've been more than good sports and waiting for like 4 years I think?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2017, 06:37 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2017, 10:27 PM »
i did ask if he had any thing to say about the update. he said they are still working on it and needing more testing. that's the standard response. i asked for any clue to when it will be ready for release and he said he couldn't say, but it should be out this next season.

they have been busy making new items, so maybe it got pushed back or they will wait for ice again. waiting for ice is also their standard response, but they released the lx7 update mid summer or there about last year with no ice to test it on.

the new shuttle is what i am wanting to buy for my lx9. it is supposed to allow 41 hour run time with the lx6/7/9.

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2017, 10:18 AM »
3300…
Boy that canned response from Marcum has almost gotten to old to keep reusing each season? They'll literally have to draft a new one soon or they can't keep some of us on the hook anymore, before we leave to another brand. 
Also you see what I see and the LX9 isn't included in any of the lithium combo or shuttle marketing?  Once again us lx9 guys are wondering again what's up, and no quick mention to at least standby…you guys won't be forgotten about.  At least post a quick image of the Lithium Shuttle or Combo Coming Soon?  (Unless it isn't) which is a different issue again in itself?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2017, 10:42 AM »
I think Marcum is going all in on the RT 9...not certain how good the technology is( not many IS members real world reviews) ...as I recall quite a wonky introduction/launch to the RT 9 also so when it finally hit the shelves it was kind of old tech . Feel bad for the LX 9 owners as the updates are all but forgotten ...even the LX 6 And LX 7 updates weren't all that impressive to customers needs/concerns . I have yet to jump on the digital ice sonar/flasher train..but have considered it for several season . Although I am a gadget/technology guy ...I do like my Simple FL 18 ...one knob to adjust the gain and I'm fishing ...from hole to hole ...I could see myself constantly adjusting/tweaking the settings on a digital unit .. "to fine tune" . 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2017, 11:28 AM »
It's seems odd that none of the ice shows, (IDO.....etc.) don't use the RT-9? They all use lx7's and lx9's seems odd.!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2017, 12:34 PM »
the firmware updates are a nice added feature, but not needed. like they are not needed in any other sonar. showdown was the first to offer it while aqua-vu still owned it and it cost money to have it done. when marcum bought it, they created the lx6/7/9 to offer us an improved and colored version of it.
mine does not need any features added, it has more than plenty right out of the box. is it perfect? no way, nothing is.

i went from the lx7 to the lx9 and i could see the differences in the firmware and was used to the lx7 firmware. it would have been nice to keep them close to each other and by adding a camera, they changed a lot of the way it works. learning it wasn't that hard to do at all.

marcum does pay a lot of money for these firmware updates. being they could take care of two of the main units with fall swoop makes more sense to me. it wasn't needed tho and some complain that because it does use firmware (all micro processors do) and is updateable by the end user, they feel they should get them and some think they should get them often and get bothered that this doesn't happen.
like our operating system we are using to talk to each other. they also want us to have updates, but it's not needed and for not wanted nor welcomed.

when we look at what the firmware updates are supposed to do for marcum /lx6/7/9 we see they do some tweaking and very little if any features. in fact the big push from us to marcum was the missing 2.5 foot of water. they made their update while it was warm out and changed the names of the modes and made the unit to have to turn the gain up from 3 to 8 in order to use it ans said the missing water issues was resolved. fact, the missing water issue is still at 2.5 feet. the confusion was some people don't know how to operate it correctly to get the old firmware to show only 2.5 feet of missing water and would have up to 5 feet of missing water. us lx9 users know how to make it only 2.5 feet and i knew how on my lx7, but the complaints were rampant.
they were short winded when they released it about what all is should do for us and how to utilize it. being i have the lx9, i can't say how to, but that's part of learning it over again like we did in the first place. it takes some time, but that is part of buying new tech and that's some of why i like new tech is to learn new things and have more and better features than before.

i help a lot of marcum users here and i offer their old firmware knowing marcum doesn't offer old firmware i got all of what i could while it was posted. some users do ask me for the old firmware because they like it better. so do you really want the update when it come out? i will try it and learn and give it time before i decide if it's a wrong move for me. altho they do test it thoroughly. many of the tests are done by field testers and each one is going to have preferences and opinions and all have to be considered and weighed.

if they add new features in the firmware, it probably will outweigh any discrimination i have with performance, but i will always keep any firmware i can so i have that choice.
i told marcum on the phone that i feel they should offer this option, so it's not just me thinking this way and trying to help.

i am happy with my lx9 and i don't expect any firmware for it at all. it's not needed and it works like it's supposed to.

the lx6/7/ update before had to have a "quick fix". they don't want to see that happen again. that's why they try to test is so much. testing isn't just at the programmers computers, but all software has "bug" in it and modifying software creates new bugs that may or not be found. that's why you see beta software out here on the web. software developers make it on purpose for us to use (if we want to) because they know there are bugs in it and they want help finding them. for marcum, they use the field testers and how ever many developers and their software that writes the firmware to try to find them. i know it is expensive to have custom software made. i have a friend who write is and makes a nice living from it.

anyway, i wouldn't go buy a different brand because we don't get free updates or get them fast enough even tho we are able to flash or own firmware. the marcum plan to allow us to do just that seems to be biting them some what. take showdown, they only had one update after it hit the shelves and it costs at least 50$. a friend of mine that has two showdowns is aware of it, but opted to not go for it. it is the original aqua-vu showdown.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2017, 08:38 AM »
to the op.
i just checked my lx9 and with only the graph on the gauges do not show. mine is on stock firmware that came with the unit.

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2017, 06:33 AM »
to the op.
i just checked my lx9 and with only the graph on the gauges do not show. mine is on stock firmware that came with the unit.

Thanks 3300
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2017, 07:53 AM »
I think Marcum is going all in on the RT 9...not certain how good the technology is( not many IS members real world reviews) ...as I recall quite a wonky introduction/launch to the RT 9 also so when it finally hit the shelves it was kind of old tech . Feel bad for the LX 9 owners as the updates are all but forgotten ...even the LX 6 And LX 7 updates weren't all that impressive to customers needs/concerns . I have yet to jump on the digital ice sonar/flasher train..but have considered it for several season . Although I am a gadget/technology guy ...I do like my Simple FL 18 ...one knob to adjust the gain and I'm fishing ...from hole to hole ...I could see myself constantly adjusting/tweaking the settings on a digital unit .. "to fine tune" .

I've been tempted myself. What keeps me away is just what you mentioned. A buddy had a Humminbird unit and I had my FL 20 a few years back. We sat down I turned a dial and fished. He messed with the settings the entire time trying to dial it in......a year later he bought an FL22HD. When I asked him why, he said he wanted to fish when we went out not play with a cumputer pushing buttons.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2017, 09:19 AM »
I've been tempted myself. What keeps me away is just what you mentioned. A buddy had a Humminbird unit and I had my FL 20 a few years back. We sat down I turned a dial and fished. He messed with the settings the entire time trying to dial it in......a year later he bought an FL22HD. When I asked him why, he said he wanted to fish when we went out not play with a cumputer pushing buttons.
that's too bad he couldn't learn his unit and had to buy yet another sonar because of it. i hope he can get a grip on his mechanical sonar.

some people can't figure out how to turn a computer on and i build & service them, and then there is in the middle some where. i leave my computer home when i ice fish and use my lx9 ice fishing and use my smart phone at the same time. it is not a hard thing to learn. many of us use smart phones and tablets theses days and should anyone opt for the rt9 you already know how the platform functions. smart phones are not hard to learn either if your new to them.

i love technology and look forward to newer tech all of the time and embrace it and not run from it.
as far as sonar goes, having much more control over what is presented on screen is VERY important to me and simple to do.

garmins new Garmin® Panoptix™ echoMAP Ice Bundle is a prime example of this. i would love to try it! i do have the funds for it, but not wanting to spend on a new unit after spending that much on my current unit and shuttle system not long ago.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/ice-fishing/ice-fishing-electronics%7C/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/110951280/garmin-echomap-plus-cv-panoptix-ice/2583079.uts?slotId=1

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2017, 09:42 AM »
I think Marcum is going all in on the RT 9...not certain how good the technology is( not many IS members real world reviews) ...as I recall quite a wonky introduction/launch to the RT 9 also so when it finally hit the shelves it was kind of old tech .
when it was finalized the android software version was a little old compared to what was current in smart phones/tablets because they had to build on what ever platform was available at the time of conception. while developing their software to work with it, android operating platform moves forward as it does all of the time. my much newer smart phone wants updates all of the time, but that does not mean the hardware is old tech.
there were a few complaints that if they bought the rt9 the base operating software was not as current as what is on their smart phones. guess what, it is not a smart phone so it doesn't matter. what does matter is that they built it on an android platform.
some more info for anyone following this to consider is that because it is an android platform, google depicts much of what can be developed for it and how it is done and other criteria that comes into play while developing code for use on their platform. google is very strict about it. this is why the wonky start. they had a deadline they tried to meet for release, but the gps issues with google and fcc held them back.

so no, the tech is not old and is one of a kind still today. yes, you can do most of the things your smart phone can do because it is android based.
the gps is what held up the launch because of both fcc and google. this made the platform that was once brand new become not as current as what is available for smart phones.

i was going to buy one, but while talking with marcum on the phone (while considering upgrading my lx7 to the lx9 or buy the rt9) he talked me out of it because the lakes i fish are not in a gps map to utilize the gps section of the unit.

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2017, 08:37 AM »

Also you see what I see and the LX9 isn't included in any of the lithium combo or shuttle marketing?  Once again us lx9 guys are wondering again what's up, and no quick mention to at least standby…you guys won't be forgotten about.  At least post a quick image of the Lithium Shuttle or Combo Coming Soon?  (Unless it isn't) which is a different issue again in itself?
The LX9 will work just fine with the Lithium Shuttle, you just need to carry the camera case separately (or modify) the shuttle to hold the camera case...this can easily be accomplished by purchasing 2 female quicksnaps and attaching them to the shuttle handle.  I'm passing on the shuttle because I want to keep my LX9 fully protected with the soft case..

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Sep 20, 2017, 09:28 AM »
here's my lx9 on the new m LITHIUM shuttle.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 20, 2017, 07:34 PM »
that's too bad he couldn't learn his unit and had to buy yet another sonar because of it. i hope he can get a grip on his mechanical sonar.

some people can't figure out how to turn a computer on and i build & service them, and then there is in the middle some where. i leave my computer home when i ice fish and use my lx9 ice fishing and use my smart phone at the same time. it is not a hard thing to learn. many of us use smart phones and tablets theses days and should anyone opt for the rt9 you already know how the platform functions. smart phones are not hard to learn either if your new to them.

i love technology and look forward to newer tech all of the time and embrace it and not run from it.
as far as sonar goes, having much more control over what is presented on screen is VERY important to me and simple to do.

garmins new Garmin® Panoptix™ echoMAP Ice Bundle is a prime example of this. i would love to try it! i do have the funds for it, but not wanting to spend on a new unit after spending that much on my current unit and shuttle system not long ago.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/ice-fishing/ice-fishing-electronics%7C/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/110951280/garmin-echomap-plus-cv-panoptix-ice/2583079.uts?slotId=1

It's not that he didn't know how to use the unit. It just took more time and effort to get the unit dialed in to make it work correctly. Turning a knob was a lot easier & faster.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.