Author Topic: Live Bait.  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
Live Bait.
« on: Dec 19, 2005, 07:18 PM »
I see on here wher folks are asking a lot about where to find bait at Deep Creek Lake. I thought that I'd take it upon myself to render an opinion about it.

Nicklow's Bait Addison PA, US Route 40, National Pike (25-30 minutes from DCL)This is my favorite tackle shop in these parts. Fatheads $9.95/ Pound.  That's about 12 doz. which is a full compound bucket of breathing bait for a big weekend of fishing with lots of guys. Nicklows also carries ice gear, gas augers, etc. In the back the have a huge wholesale distributorship of fishing gear. You want it.....they got it. You have to ask to go in the back. The prices are not discount.....but...... if there's something you have to have.....today.....Nic klows has it. They supply the bait for all of the bait stores in this area for miles.

Deep Creek Outfitters - Rt. 219 McHenry near the Burger King. Traditionally this has always been my bait store. They are also a MD Ceritfied weigh and check in station. This is where you can enter all of the seasonal contests. They open at 9 am which is a real drag for early risers.

Bills Outdoor Center - Rt 219 Thayerville DC (the old Johnny's Bait House). High Prices. Good selection of tackle. Also, if you forgot hat, gloves, coat....this is the place you can buy that......did I say expensive? They have Kahuna shiners 6"....in case you really have to have "the big one". Souveniers.

Swanton store - Very southern end of Rt. 495 in Swanton. Sometimes they are not always reliable with minnows. However, they always have worms, maggots, etc. Great prices. They have a unique little store with lots of local chatter on what's hot and what their hitting. Great trout gear too. This is a good place to pick up a soda and a pepperoni roll.

D&B Sportshop - Rt. 135 Deer Park near the firehall. This little puny store has a HUGE inventory. These are the good old boys. They know what's happening and there'll be 4-5 guys sitting around the stove talking fishing. They got the bait...cheap....when the aerator isn't broke down. This is the closest stop to the southern end of the lake.

Does anyone have some to add? Is their a bait store in Friendsville? Crellin?

Hope this helps.....print it out tiny and tuck it away.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
Re: Live Bait.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2005, 07:32 AM »
Great info Strike Lead.  The main criteria for me is that they open early....So I go to Nicklows most of the time.  Its a 2+ hour drive for me, and i like to hit it early.  That road can get a little greasy some times though.   Im trying to get up there either this weekend or next.  Im so anxious I cant stand it.  I sit in my treestand thinking about ice fishing.  Must be time to hang up the stick and string.  Hope to see you on the lake some time this year.  Im usually fishing with my father and two sons.  We have a blast.

Offline Rockfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2005, 09:39 AM »
Hey Thanks for the info. and initative Strike Lead.  I heard you guys talking about Nickolos and wondered about it.  It certainly helps to have a few more options at my fingertips.

;D
Rockfish

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2005, 03:41 PM »
Good info for those that plan to attend the rodeo next month...
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2005, 06:27 PM »
I wanted to say what a great experience it was at Bill's Outdoor center today. Minnows were great. No maggots. But, the most important thing to note is that their inventory of ice fishing gear has really increased recently. What a great store!!! Somebody took the time and stocked the store with all of the jigs and other gear. I actually strolled around the store for nearly a half hour looking at the new stuff. They have a real cool Frabill shanty/sled on display that I seriously considered.

Bill's Outdoor Center get's an A+ even without the maggots.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

Offline Nitro_372

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2006, 05:16 PM »
thanks for the info

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.