The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: BOAT ice fishing  (Read 1240 times)

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
BOAT ice fishing
« on: Feb 28, 2012, 07:30 PM »
Never did get much good ice to fish on this season. My lake is opening up with a few cuts, like open water fingers. I'm thinking about taking the row boat out and anchoring along side the main ice and fishing..Not sitting on the ice, but what's the diff. I have a new markum camera---NEW-- and I'm anxious to try it out. Rain and big time winds forcasted for the next few days in SW, so it may be a mute point. Just curious if anyone has tried it. I'm not an ice-breaker..

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: BOAT ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:15 PM »
Done a lot of perch fishing in open cracks in lake Huron :tipup:
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline icefishinfool247365

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:19 PM »
interesting concept. always wondered about that. be safe, let us know how it works out. good luck!

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2012, 09:04 PM »
Rat  Man  I want to party with you bro!   :thumbsup:

Offline tree digger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 29, 2012, 05:47 AM »
3 days before christmas I had the ice rods in the boat, 15 nice crappie in 3 hrs. If you can locate the fish, get on top of them and keep the boat stationary enough to keep the small ice jig where you want it, sure it will work, sure is fun.
The thing right now is are the fish going to be shallow for water temp or still where they would normally be this time of year? I think you may have to follow the water temp for shallow fish, which would require casting, meaning longer rod for effective casting. If you can find em deep enough to fish above em your good to go..
So many lakes so little time

Offline TK81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 29, 2012, 05:56 AM »
3 days before christmas I had the ice rods in the boat, 15 nice crappie in 3 hrs. If you can locate the fish, get on top of them and keep the boat stationary enough to keep the small ice jig where you want it, sure it will work, sure is fun.
The thing right now is are the fish going to be shallow for water temp or still where they would normally be this time of year? I think you may have to follow the water temp for shallow fish, which would require casting, meaning longer rod for effective casting. If you can find em deep enough to fish above em your good to go..

Long rods and slips in the weed edges...shallow.  Keep moving til you find them.  The perch should be packed in pre-spawn mode.  Gonna be doing this myself next weekend.

Offline Jim_MI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 29, 2012, 06:59 AM »
I got out kayak fishing at the end of ice last yr. Paddled out through skim ice and around floes for about 150 yds to open water. Very cool. Trolled in the clearest water I have ever seen. It can be done. Just watch the wind, as shifting ice can lock you out.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 29, 2012, 08:14 AM »
 Another way is if the lake has a creek running into the lake you can float a fly in the current under the ice. I use to do it and got alot of real nice gills that way

Offline Bgreen02

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2012, 05:17 AM »
My buddy and me went out a couple years ago end of March where we thought we had enough warmer days ice would be gone. We used to use his little 3 person inflatable boat. Saw it was supposed to be low 50s (it turned out to be low 40s) figured we'd troll for some pike. Got to the lake to see there was a section of the lake was still had ice but rest was all open. We trolled through open area and caught a single crappie. Froze our butt off sitting in the rubber boat had to come and sit in car to warm up for awhile. LOL. We found out with it so cold the fish won't chase bait.

Team M.I.R.C Rock bass. It's whats for dinner.

Offline 440-6kris

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gone Fishin!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2012, 11:06 PM »
I like your ambition, I'm very axious to here how it goes for you. I've always wondered how that would work. Good luck and be safe.

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2012, 01:05 AM »
I know Ive done really well perch fishing right after ice out. Once the main body opens up get the boat out and anchor near the shore ice and drop some minnows. They start to move in to spawn and you can really nail them.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2012, 07:47 PM »
With a lack of ice and snow cover this year, it looks loke I have a pretty healthy milfoil weed line out to about 15' of water. Ya think the perc's are in the heavy weeds?? I've never tried to fish for them this early in the season..

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2012, 09:38 PM »
Thats basically what we used to do. Find the edge of a weed bed in 15-20ft of water and drop anchor and drop some minnows and wigglers over the side in rod holders. They were usually quick to bite if they were there. Might have to try some moving around to find a school or use some electronics to guide you.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2012, 11:22 PM »
some lakes that have no ice on them will be good to legally fish for walleye and pike before the season ends, you can't say that most years  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.