Author Topic: Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 Carrier  (Read 2365 times)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 Carrier
« on: Jan 07, 2018, 01:52 AM »
(copy paste)

Saw that Berkley Fireline got an 8 strand braid now.  Fireline Ultra 8 Carrier is quite a long name.  Just as the packaging says 8 strands and thermally fused.  I ran several line test between my finger and thumb.  Getting a feel for how much more round the lines are and how much coating makes the line.  The 20# test was very obvious waxy feeling.

I bought the 4# test line mfg labeled the diameter to be .12 mm  It's still a thermally fused line and that's what makes it Fireline.  I put this line through my typical line/knot strength test.  The first test resulted in a 7# 12 oz. knot break.  The second test resulted in a 8# 9 oz. knot break on the same line.  Third test results were 8# 8 oz giving me an average of 8# 4 oz. roughly.  There wasn't any noticeable ribbon effect to the line at all.  I saw a few rings on the line that may be premature line weakness or just the result of the bond from the line coating breaking under pull.

Side to side comparison to normal Fireline Crystal 4# test.  Both have just about same feel and looks.  When compared to Sufix 832 Ice braid ghost, Fireline was noticeably smaller even though the mfg claimed diameter is .10 mm for the Sufix 832 braid.

Berkley Fireline Original .13 mm 4# knot break 6# 12 oz.
Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 .12 mm 4# knot break 8# 4 oz.
Sufix 832 Ice Braid .10mm 4# knot break 9# 2 oz.

With the knot break comparison, it seems the new Ultra 8 carrier braid has more knot strength compared to old Fireline Original.  Sufix 832 Ice braid in 4# may have a higher knot strength but it really is a larger line diameter without tension.

While there is still the acoustics noise with line tension on the reeling, it doesn't have the vibration feel of Sufix 832 4#.  Compared to Standard Sufix Performance braid 6# with a 4 strand weave has a pronounced vibration along with the acoustic hum with line tension on the reeling.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.