Author Topic: Hardwater custom. rods reviews?  (Read 8334 times)

Offline Purpleotter

• IceShanty Rookie
Hardwater custom. rods reviews?
« on: Jan 07, 2017, 12:44 AM »
Saw them on 8mybait site, look like knockoff Thorne Bros, anybody tried them?

Offline Purpleotter

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hardwater custom. rods reviews?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2017, 03:03 PM »
NOBODY !!?? ???

Offline Reaper_gfh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2017, 10:22 AM »
They are the "same" blanks as Thorn Brothers.  I don't have one personally but most of the guys I fish with use them and like them a lot.

Offline foulpole18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2017, 04:11 PM »
I highly doubt they are the same as Thorne Bros. Similar maybe but not the same. Thorne has theirs made only for them.

Offline perchmaniac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:16 PM »
I have a Thorne Bros power noodle and just picked up a replica quiver stick from hardwater customs off eBay. Not even close in quality. The eyes on the replica qs are as cheap as they come. The rod is so stiff a 2.5 inch moonshine minnow doesn’t bend the tip and you can’t feel anything bite it.

Offline GMBF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2019, 08:19 PM »
I use All Hard Water Custom Rods. 2 Power noodle 28" and 24" with split EVA grips and they are great rods, sensitive, with back bone!, Quiver stick is more to heavy side of action but still does its job. Got 2 Walleye Medium Sweet heart with EVA grip and  coming next week  :) All in all these are $40-$50 rods. For the price they are great!

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2019, 04:17 PM »
I have three different rods from HW Customs. They all perform well and look good to me, but I fish alone a lot.

Offline Owentstr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2019, 09:08 AM »
Oh yeah! HW Customs, all the way! :)

Offline kas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2022, 07:28 AM »
Randomly came across this old topic during a web search for HardwaterCustomRods.  Figured I'd revive it!   I own 3 HW rods: a 28"M "Sweetheart", a 24"M "StCroix Legend w/ built in adjustable spring bobber", and a gorgeous little 20"L "QuiverStick".  I'm thrilled with all of  them.  Especially the two shorter models. IMO, if you you can make a 20" rod feel balanced-- by choosing the approriate blank with a nice taper and flex, have proper eye spacing, finding the spline  correctly, etc --I feel thats a sign of a very good rod  builder. Now I've owned ThorneBros rods. Both ice rods and open water spinning rods up to 7'. Sure, the ThrBr rods are very nice.  But they are also quite pricey. And break just as easily as less expensive rods. Lol. I havnt paid over $40 for any HW ice-stick, and I've never had an issue in 5+ yrs.  I think right now there are a couple on his HW EBay page for $25 and less. They are very good rods, and come at great prices.  I recommend.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2022, 08:00 AM »
I have two. Both several years old and have worked just fine. I would recommend them.

Offline oneidawalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2023, 06:55 PM »
They are both decent blanks. Thorne Bros ice rod blanks I believe are made in the USA by Lynco Grinding Company that makes mandrels for many rod companies in the U.S. Hardwater Customs were blanks that were reverse engineered from blanks from St Croix and Thorne Bros that were produced overseas.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.