Author Topic: Wish we had these around here  (Read 1079 times)

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Wish we had these around here
« on: Mar 12, 2015, 10:12 PM »

Offline Catfishking

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wish we had these around here
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2015, 10:13 PM »
Yeah I agree biggest crappie I've caught in colorado 15 inches

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2015, 11:24 AM »
You'd have to be living in Indiana, or Minnesota or Louisiana where the primary forage for big crappie is big mosquito larvae. It's well known that skeeters are the Louisiana State Bird. Catfishking, that 15" fish of yours had to be staring hard at a State record. World record white crappie was a little over 5 pounds and around 22". Bliuegill is a little heavier than that if you can imagine.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2015, 12:00 PM »
I've caught a couple of 15s and several 14s.  There are some big crappie in CO, but not many.  I think specific conditions (and technique) are more important than the body of water.  I know the guy who caught the current catch and release record, which was over 19" I think.  I've heard rumor of some 20 inchers out there.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2015, 07:06 AM »
Found a 14 couple years ago, and that was by accident.
Bud

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2015, 09:53 AM »
Got a 16"er at Nee Gronde back in the day.  I have a pic somewhere- DOW guy measured it and took note!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2015, 07:20 AM »
Ya know...there are black and white crappie.  I did work in Texas and I think the  doormats were white crappie.  I can't recall, but I think the Colorado crappie are the smaller black version.

Now if I am correct, then the question is whether the black crappie is more condusive to cooler water temps.  If this is why DOW or Parks and Rec or whatever they are these days, doesn't stock white crappie.  Instead they have opted for wippers which I believe compete with or crappie.

Now if what I have just postulated has some basis in truth, that might be why the bigger crappie are as rare as muskies on your hook.  And to further add to my presumptions, the lakes that still have a good population of crappie are the small ponds with and overpopulation stunting the yummy tasting minnow eaters.

Feel free to rip up my theories and observations as I am getting old and too senile to remember the last one I caught in Colorado.  LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.