Author Topic: Calm before the storm  (Read 1734 times)

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
Calm before the storm
« on: Mar 09, 2013, 10:14 PM »
Was fortunate to get out Friday.  Despite a late start to my day, the boys and girls were cooperative then played hide and seek (thank God often for powered augers!) and then stepped up to the Waxworm Buffet!
Total of 7 fish brought topside

Loved the color in this 2lb 8oz water stallion!

Banged up the knee early in the season pulling my sled, buddy's sled, him & his wheelchair - so, decided it was time to toss the gear onto a ski-based platform. What a dream to pull now!

Calm before the storm

I've caught bigger rainbows thru the ice last year; none of which took out as much line as often as this 2lb 11oz.  Talk about shy to meet new people!

I felt the cold front and the moisture coming in so wrapped up the gear for the 90 mile commute home. The storm rolled in from the South as I was pulling out (timing's everything, sometimes!)

View of the valley - as I placed my taillights to the splendor of the Western Slope, the res. was being encapsulated by the storm front

My view since 10am today when the blizzard wound itself up tight
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Calm before the storm
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2013, 10:33 PM »
  Beautiful Bows!!!  Awesome pictures!!  Thanks for sharin your day!!  Good luck & stay safe Friend!!      O.P.   :tipup:
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline bgflys

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2013, 10:42 PM »
Nice work out there. Some nice fish. Good thing to follow that gut feeling to get outta Dodge sometimes. Crazy weather for sure. Wind sucks!

"B"

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2013, 11:00 PM »
Beauty of a fish Steven. Springtime in the Rockies, oh yeah!

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2013, 05:54 AM »
Nice work out there. Some nice fish. Good thing to follow that gut feeling to get outta Dodge sometimes. Crazy weather for sure. Wind sucks!

"B"

Hope you make it out there soon, sucker's cove access is fading.  First foot of shore by the parking lot is already melting.  Next week won't help the matter in the right direction.
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2013, 05:58 AM »
Beauty of a fish Steven. Springtime in the Rockies, oh yeah!

For sure Mark and folks would have to live here to understand it fully...  From constant fire threat, to wicked mountain storms, hail, wind, drought, monsoon; all of it contrasted by breathtaking beauty, amazing fishing+hiking+hunting opportunities, vast expanses of land, Eagles landing 50 yards or less from your ice fishing area, Elk, Deer, Bison, Antelope   What a package deal the West has to offer!
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2013, 09:37 AM »
Retirement is 20 years away but I'm anxious to requaint with the mile. Do you hit Antero often neva?

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2013, 10:00 AM »
Retirement is 20 years away but I'm anxious to requaint with the mile. Do you hit Antero often neva?

For me, it's already 180 miles roundtrip for each outing to 11Mile...not looking for any greater distance
It's an amazing place! Hope you get back there soon
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline bprohs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2013, 10:01 PM »
Great pictures...I love your sled!  What tub is that?  I built an insert out of 1/2" PVC for my Jet sled.  It looked great, but didn't hold up well in the cold weather, plus it was too top heavy and kept tipping over when I pulled it with my snowmobile.
How do you think this one would pull behind a machine?

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2013, 12:32 AM »
Great pictures...I love your sled!  What tub is that?  I built an insert out of 1/2" PVC for my Jet sled.  It looked great, but didn't hold up well in the cold weather, plus it was too top heavy and kept tipping over when I pulled it with my snowmobile.
How do you think this one would pull behind a machine?

Thanks, need to take a good camera w/me the android phones have notoriously poor camera resolution which seriously darkens every single picture to the point of my angst.

2012/2013 Frabill Commando - if it were to pull behind a sled I'd want to lower the infrastructure.  Presently 10" threaded galvanized  pipe risers anchored with galvanized floor flanges using stainless screws and stainless (+ plastic insert) nuts set into top end of redwood rails.  Being pulled behind a machine would likely require lowering it by 50%, cross brace between pipes, and perhaps some stronger treated wood (vs. feather weight redwood) for rails to anchor the top floor flange into.
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline bprohs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2013, 09:45 AM »
Thanks for all the info!  BTW, I thought your pictures were great, I think that speaks more for the photographer than the camera...they really told a story!

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2013, 12:16 AM »
Thanks for all the info!  BTW, I thought your pictures were great, I think that speaks more for the photographer than the camera...they really told a story!

Thx, Not into rudimentary comm. I.e.hey look @ my fish!  There's so much more to take in on any given day of fishing. We're blessed to live and fish here in Colorado.  One day it welcomes you with fullness and abundance of life's outdoors best; and the next it may unleash what seems like all of its worst upon any soul in its path thru the wild west.
best to wake uprtight and ready! 
Take care brother
Owe No Man Anything...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.