The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: February Doldrums  (Read 1196 times)

Offline IceVike

• IceShanty Rookie
February Doldrums
« on: Feb 21, 2019, 10:47 PM »
Hi All!
I’m new to the site. Been fishing a few lakes within two hours of Bozeman, and the February fishing doldrums have led me here.  Hoping to vicariously enjoy others successes, as I continue to swear off ice fishing in February, one lake after another. Yet somehow I still find myself out there doing it.
Fish Gods should be tilting in my favor, sooner or later!!

Mizayikaa

Re: February Doldrums
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2019, 10:51 PM »
Welcome and good luck.

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2019, 08:18 AM »
Welcome IceVike!
You’ve got a full moon right now. That will affect what time of day the fish are most active. And the barometer has been whacked out the past week. Good fishing, no....GREAT fishing is in your future!

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2019, 09:01 AM »
Don't fret, it's not just you!  The success rate on my go to lake has dropped off significantly this month for the reasons mentioned above by Sage, as well as (I suspect) declining oxygen levels in the lake due to prolonged ice and snow cover.  Push through it and be ready for late ice!

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2019, 09:54 AM »
And the barometer has been whacked out the past week.

Not just whacked out but whacked at the wrong time for the weekend angler over the past three weekends. Trying to sneak out early today and tomorrow before it climbs again on Sunday.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2019, 10:02 AM »
Early ice and late ice good.

Offline fridayfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2019, 12:41 PM »
the last 2 times I went out I got there at the crack of dawn and had to wait until mid day before they started biting. other times its the opposite. if you are enjoying yourself in spite of getting skunked then you have what it takes. I believe the gods are testing you. are you really worthy?

Offline PablitoPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2019, 01:16 PM »
February is by far the worst month of the year. Bitter cold, slower bite, no MLB or NFL, no worthwhile hunting seasons open. Glad it's only 28 days long

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2019, 05:40 PM »
Welcome and I don't know if this will work in that geographic location:

In Feb., fish between 1:00 am and 5:00 am.  Fish 5 foot to 10 foot.  Been using plastic worm tipped with piece of crawler and the last of the salties about 1 foot off the bottom.  Small walleye, small perch, 3 very nice rainbows, no pike.  Bite has been pretty good, although spread out, at Elwell, Francis, Eureka Res..  Access has been rough at night.  Drifts in and out.  Staying home tonight thru Sunday night.  Moon for is wrong and the warm days then cold again.  Needs to balance for cold.

Good Luck.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline KDW

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2019, 09:59 AM »
Traditionally Feb. is my least favorite month on the ice, simply because I tend to catch less fish. This year has found
me out more simply because we didn't get good ice everywhere till end of Dec. Makes for an awful short season. My
experience remains the same however. Pretty slow in Feb.

Ken

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.