Author Topic: GPS for Android?  (Read 801 times)

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
GPS for Android?
« on: Mar 23, 2018, 04:02 PM »
Any suggestions on a simple GPS for Android? I was using Motion X on my Iphone, but they don't make an Android app. I don't care about depth contours or detailed lake maps, I just want to mark and share GPS co-ordinates, then then use the app to return to the marked spot later, like a brush pile or deep hole I find.

I know Navionics can probably do this, and I don't mind paying for an app, but looks like Navionics needs a subscription?

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: GPS for Android?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2018, 06:22 PM »
Try Garmin Active Captain.  It's made to go hand in hand with their wifi chartplotters but I think you might be able to drop waypoints and stuff just with the app.  It's free so no harm to try. 

Google Maps might be worth a shot too. 

The Navionics is like $12 a year or so, and it's IMO a great deal even if you have to renew it.  I personally don't use it because I have a handheld and custom maps but I've played around with it a bit and was impressed.

I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2018, 08:03 PM »
just run it thru a search.

i found these you can try free.
https://heavy.com/tech/2013/07/top-best-gps-apps-for-android-2013/

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2018, 03:17 PM »
Just getting back on here...

Looked into it a little further, tried some of the free ones, but think I'll go with the Navionics. Even though it does not have any detailed coverage of the areas I fish, I see it does show marker bouys and and wingdams on the river, so I could use that in the boat too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.