Author Topic: Homemade tip up alarm  (Read 18850 times)

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Homemade tip up alarm
« on: Dec 20, 2008, 10:46 AM »
Just windering if anybody out there has every built a homemade tip up alarm or tip up lights.  there is a local lake I like to fish at night for eyes, but don't always like to get up every few minutes to go walk around and check the tip ups.  Any suggestions or websites with good instructions are welcome.  not loooking for anything fancy, just something that is cheaper to build than something I could buy,  thanks.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Homemade tip up alarm
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2008, 10:48 AM »
A friend of mine made a few lights for night walleye. They worked great but in the end, it was a bit cheaper to buy the Frabill Lil' Shiner lights...

I'd be interested to see if anyone has made anything on their own as well.

Offline perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2008, 10:54 AM »
I used to tie glow sticks on my tip-ups but as with Blaine, the Frabill tip-up lights were cheaper in the long run.  1 nights use per glow stick per tip-up = more expensive than the Frabills.

Offline jdisci

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The snack that smiles back, goldfish"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2008, 10:54 AM »
How about those little double bells that you use for bank fishing in the open water? Put one on your tip-up flag and when it pops up you can hear it.

"Like minnows in a bucket..."
Joe

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2008, 10:55 AM »
one thing that i did was take those annoying happy meal things that make noise when you shake them and duck tape it to one of my flags....

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2008, 11:48 AM »
How about those little double bells that you use for bank fishing in the open water? Put one on your tip-up flag and when it pops up you can hear it.

I use those too... Tough to hear in a strong wind but definitely better than nothing!

Offline Snortwheeze

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2008, 12:04 PM »
havent tried but how would like the bouny balls that light up when bounced or something a long that line and tape it or tie it on there

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2008, 01:29 PM »
Tie a string to every flag and hook it up to a bell attached to your shanty.... just watch your feet when you go to land the fish or you may trip.  :D

Really though, I am sure there is someone on here who is handy with electrical stuff and could make something that beeps when the "seal" is broken.  Kind of like those cheap window alarms that people buy when they don't have a hardwired system.    But I am pretty sure thats on the same idea as the manufactured tip up alarms, so it may be easier just to buy them.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2008, 02:17 PM »
Wasn't there a thread here a few years back where a guy was using shotgun shells as tip up alarms? Just listen for the boom...
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2008, 04:58 PM »
Piece of cake.....
You need a switch
a noisemaker
a battery.

Gimme a few minutes... ;D
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2008, 05:08 PM »
Mercury switch attached to flag spring

3v beeper

Battery holder for 2 AA batteries.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2008, 05:19 PM »
9v battery, buzzer, some wire and a clothespin. Mount them to your tipup somehow. Use thumb tacks as contacts on inner faces of clothes pin. Tie short line to flag and small piece of plastic like margarine dish plastic as insulator. When flag goes, pulls line and small square of plastic from between the grip of the clothes pin allowing thumbtacks to contact sounding buzzer. Cheap and easy
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2008, 06:44 PM »
thats a great idea buster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ima go and make one like you said thanks!!!!!!!!!. as for the murcury switch if that broke there could be some serious problems!!

Offline swirusek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2008, 09:52 PM »

Offline dthrckt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2009, 10:52 AM »
I bought window alarms at the dollar store - they look like this
http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-SP440B-Wireless-Window-Alarm/dp/B000E8T8SS
There's an on off switch and a magnetic switch.
There's a magnet in the smaller piece that keeps the magnetic switch off when it is (very) close to the siren. 
It is a weak magnet and has to be lined up well so I took the magnets out of some cabinet door catches and use those instead. 
The siren part is on the base of my tip-ups and the magnets are on short steel wires attached to the top of the flag pole.
When I set the flag I bend the wire to make the magnet line up next to the siren.  When the flag goes up the magnet goes with it and the siren sounds.
I had a couple w/ sticky magnetic switches (wouldn't go off when the magnet moved unless you tapped them) so I sprayed some cold temp gun oil in them and they work great.
I can hear them from 100 yards even on the windiest days.
I highly recommend this or any other sort of alarm - my success rate on hits has been so much higher since doing this....

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2009, 10:56 AM »
i use the glow sticks you can get them cheap at flea marrkets or just set a latern by the spread you can see a flag
                                                                                                                            trap

Offline Teeder Pole

• IceShanty Rookie
  • St. Lawrence Pike Puller
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2009, 01:54 PM »
Posted this elsewhere but here's the pic again... ;-)

Tight Lines!
Catchin' Pike is What I Like!!!

Offline Shadrap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2009, 04:57 PM »
Put the bells on em and if its night add the night sticks. 

Offline I walk on water!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:47 PM »
I used glow sticks a few nights back. Twon on each trap that way you can see when the flag goes up. Attach em with zip ties. youll need one stick type ans one neckless type to make loop around flag.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:56 PM »
try these,you have to modify them if you dont have polar traps. frabil artic fire tip up lights they work very good, and they are about 10 bucks apeice.

Offline BigWilly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2009, 10:09 PM »
Looks good guys.  Good job!!   :tipup:

Doug

Offline Mr.Buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I swear there was a fish on!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2009, 10:24 PM »
i got some of that reflective tape that they use when they need to put down lines on a freshly paved road. Works really well, just attach a small piece under the flag and when i shine my light outside it lights up really well
Two fishes swimming side along and one looks at the other and tells him "I had a near death experiance today, I was swimming along and next thing I knew I was getting pulled down a tunnel with a bright light at the end, i got to the light, looked around and my friends and family were there.  And I saw jesus! And he wears a budweiser hat and he said, it is not your time, go back and I will come for you when you are bigger"

Offline BucksNDucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2009, 12:21 PM »
I like to put the bells that you put on your normal poles! just attach them with any material!!!
works good for me, only problem is you got to listen really good...

Keep your bait about 6 inches off the bottom!

I will drill your holes!!!
See ya on the ice!!! Go Packers!!!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2009, 02:31 PM »
some great ideas here guys thanks
                                         trap

Offline Scuff

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Here Fishy Fishy Fishy
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2009, 07:05 PM »
It is a little extra gear to carry but if you get the cheap solar sidewalk lamps or the solar spot lights they will light up around your tip up nicely 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.