The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: not to much activity  (Read 3730 times)

Offline Cnorkun

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: not to much activity
« Reply #30 on: Feb 25, 2018, 08:16 PM »
Agreed Masspike.  Strong offering.

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 25, 2018, 10:26 PM »
Already packed the ice gear away since last weekend and dusted off the freshwater rods. Time to target prespawning pike in the local rivers. This was caught the first week of March a couple of years ago.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #32 on: Feb 26, 2018, 12:43 PM »
Lakers in MA through the ice? Or even open water this time of year that are legal to fish for?
Yup. There is an area you can get lakers open water this time of year but you can never ice fish it. May even get a salmon if your lucky.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline IcePhishing4Fun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 28, 2018, 06:28 AM »
Bartons cove is still fishable, but has been slow. Im looking to get out again tomorrow but not sure where I want to go fish. Im close to 91/202 area.

Im wondering if anyone has seen DAR, Russel Pond, or somewhere else that is still solid, not interested in Pittsfield, to far. PM if you want.
Give me ICE or give me DEATH!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 28, 2018, 08:43 AM »
Bartons cove is still fishable, but has been slow. Im looking to get out again tomorrow but not sure where I want to go fish. Im close to 91/202 area.

Im wondering if anyone has seen DAR, Russel Pond, or somewhere else that is still solid, not interested in Pittsfield, to far. PM if you want.

I live close to Russell Pond.  I haven't driven by but based on the conditions of other local ponds I doubt it would be safe.  All of the other ponds in the area are completely open water.  Granted Russell has some elevation I still doubt it would be safe.
westernmas on the finder

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 28, 2018, 09:30 AM »
I went by DAR yesterday to take a look. Was able to walk right on but rest of edges are starting to get rough. There was a guy fishing right by the access and looked like fresh holes further out. Not sure about thickness but it seemed fishable.

Offline IcePhishing4Fun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 28, 2018, 10:24 AM »
Thanks for the responses, I went to DAR last year and got skunked, didnt mark a fish either.

I am thinking about Ashfield pond, but have not fished it either, not sure about access...

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Feb 28, 2018, 10:37 AM »
Thanks for the responses, I went to DAR last year and got skunked, didnt mark a fish either.

I am thinking about Ashfield pond, but have not fished it either, not sure about access...

Thats a shame.  I usually slam them there.

Offline IcePhishing4Fun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 28, 2018, 10:49 AM »
Thats a shame.  I usually slam them there.

Ive done some research about that lake and basically come up with dont use shiners, I got about 18 of them burning a whole in my bucket.

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 28, 2018, 10:57 AM »

Access at ashfield is really good.. just not so much the ice. Edges were bad enough yesterday that I didn’t even bother getting out to spud it.

More the type of pond you bring the kids to though... not a place I’d pick for ‘serious’ fishing.
Love the Lake House though. Good eats and decent music on weekends.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Feb 28, 2018, 11:04 AM »
Ive done some research about that lake and basically come up with dont use shiners, I got about 18 of them burning a whole in my bucket.

That would be my advice for DAR.  Skip the shiners. 

Offline IcePhishing4Fun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Mar 01, 2018, 08:37 PM »
Ended up at Rohunta, about 5-6 inches of ice when I left. Open water by Route 2, ice wise I'd say its done after the rain we get Friday.

Fishing wise, first 2 hours were slow, I never did mark a fish or get a nibble jigging. But kept moving my tip ups and finally found fish or the fish started biting for whatever reasons. Ended the day with 10 flags, 4 fish 3 bass and 1 good sized pickerel. I'd fish here again in my boat or next season...

Offline IcePhishing4Fun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Mar 04, 2018, 10:50 PM »
On more ice today, more dinky yellow perch than I can count, 3 pickerels. Over a foot of ice 20 minutes east of Greenfield.

Offline IcePhishing4Fun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Mar 05, 2018, 12:13 PM »
Fishing tomorrow if anyone is interested, and has anyone seen or driven by Tully lake off 32?

Offline IcePhishing4Fun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Mar 07, 2018, 09:24 PM »
Tully had no edge by the ramp, but about 100 feet to the side of the ramp you will find better ice, some of its broken up a little bit, couple holes. Getting on was pretty easy, but by the time I left 6 hours later the edge was soft and I sank a little bit on the way off the ice, stayed dried. Ice was 9 inches and pretty solid most of the day I was out on Tuesday. Top inch got squishy in the sun.

The fishing was slow at first I was fishing 200 feet from the ramp in about 10-15 FOW, no flags marked a couple jigging but nothing doing at all. Friend of mine has fished it before and told me to relocate to a deeper spot and then I found some fish, mostly caught gils, and 1 bass, crappie, yellow perch, about 20 fish in all. The bass was on a flag. The other fish were jigged out of the deep which is always fun to reel the fish in 20-30 feet or more. Single hooked job was not getting any hook sets, switched to a terrible hooked spoon and started getting hookups then.

I know its not the best idea to keep fishing, but I keep finding ice to fish on. Holding my breath with the weather but the temps 36, 35, 39, 38 (highs) and 19, 22, 20, and 21 (lows) for the next week in the town Tully is in makes me think I am not done yet. Depends on this damned snow...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.