The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: First ice prediction and destination?  (Read 4629 times)

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
First ice prediction and destination?
« on: Oct 22, 2019, 08:57 AM »
Boy it's quiet in this area of the site. But with one or two local fishing forums and a handful of large Minnesota fishing Facebook groups it kinda makes sense.

I got first ice on the brain and would much prefer that over today's weather,  38 degrees, 20-30mph winds and raining. I've never done the red lake deal and if everything goes I'll be out there end of November,  probably be the first place I fish unless I make another quick trip north before that..  I'm predicting URL will be capped over Nov. 22nd , I bet there will be a small fishable body of water frozen over several days before that in the Bemidji or Detroit lakes area, the 18th? Maybe I'm optimistic.

What area or lake is everybody else hoping to be their first trip out?  When do you think we will see first ice in MN?

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: First ice prediction and destination?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2019, 02:39 PM »
If the pattern holds true again this year I should be on ice here in Wright county by the Saturday after Thanksgiving. it has been like this the past two seasons now. there is about two or three smaller lakes that always seem to lock up just enough to get out a little ways at first. might not get to the exact area I want to get to but atleast I am back on the ice and fishing again.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2019, 03:12 PM »
If the pattern holds true again this year I should be on ice here in Wright county by the Saturday after Thanksgiving. it has been like this the past two seasons now. there is about two or three smaller lakes that always seem to lock up just enough to get out a little ways at first. might not get to the exact area I want to get to but atleast I am back on the ice and fishing again.

Heck ya! I do most of my fishing in carver co, I gotta venture over to Wright one of these days, pretty dang close.

Offline thorson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2019, 08:32 AM »
Ottertail county by next Sunday I hope 14 degrees here this morning.
Life is short, fish hard!

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2019, 10:42 AM »
Ice is forming on the small shallow ponds already up north. Cool down forecast next week with daytime highs below freezing night time lows in the teens. Temps like that with calm winds will make possible walkable ice in some places by Thanksgiving if that weather forecast holds true. Just stay safe and be patient. Not worth taking a cold bath or risking lives for fish that will still be there in December. Bring safety and ice rescue gear and check the ice thickness often when first going out. Fish with a buddy that can provide assistance or make sure people are kept informed on where you'll be going and when you can be expected to return.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2019, 10:50 AM »
You think Ottertail area by next weekend?  :o what are water temps right now?

It's coming fast either way, time to really start fine tuning the gear to be ready.

Tight lines and stay above the ice!

Offline littlepineguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2019, 08:22 AM »
Water temps were low 40s up in OT last weekend, had a nice skim on a 2k acre lake yesterday on the calm side.  If we can fight off wind for a few days I don't think next weekend is completely out of line.  I would absolutely bet there will be people out next weekend on the small lakes by our deer camp, but that's north of 113. 

Offline triplej

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2019, 11:21 AM »
The lake i live on. I was ice fishing it last year on Thanksgiving day i took my kids out as its been a ritual every year we either hunt or ice fish that day if its safe

Offline MNwalleye17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2019, 06:01 PM »
Saw some smaller ponds / pot hole lakes have some ice over them in the Ely area this weekend. If the temps hold true for the week, more ice will be forming!  I can't wait!!

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2019, 08:53 AM »
I just reserved a camper cabin for a couple pre Thanksgiving weekends up @ Big Bog state park.  Super excited to get into some shallow walleye action.   :clap:

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2019, 10:19 AM »
I just reserved a camper cabin for a couple pre Thanksgiving weekends up @ Big Bog state park.  Super excited to get into some shallow walleye action.   :clap:

Awesome, its going to be locked up very soon. 
Is that a better deal than renting a sleeper house on shore from a guide/resort for $25-30 per person?

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2019, 10:40 AM »
I saw a report this A.M. on another site that Pike Bay and Everetts Bay on Lake Vermilion were capped.
Oops! is too late.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2019, 01:07 PM »
Is that a better deal than renting a sleeper house on shore from a guide/resort for $25-30 per person?

I've done the shore shanty a few times, but it always seemed like there was an issue with generators, or heat, or some other ruckus to contend with.  I suppose choosing the right outfitter is key. The park is nice and quiet and reliable when available.  The West Wind is just down the road too and offers an additional option to have your catch cooked.

The cabins have 4 beds, a lower full with a twin bunk above on each side.  Pretty bare bones, but bigger than a typical red lake shack and a little gas fireplace to maybe play some cribbage by before bed.  They allow up to 6 people for $70 a night, perfect for 3, or even 4 adults.  So, it's a fairly decent rate considering the options around Waskish.  I like to get up there a couple times before the houses hit the lakes. 

I enjoy staying at the state park to get off the lake too.  It forces you to drive, so it sorta feels like it leaves more options on the table each morning.  Some years we wind up heading to LOW for the day, or back south towards the Winni area, depending on the available ice and fishing reports.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2019, 07:21 AM »
Reported this A.M. 3 to 4 inches of good solid ice on Pike Bay Lake Vermilion . I plan on getting out and checking the ice on local lakes Sunday. 6 above here this morning so if this weather holds as predicted I could be fishing smaller lakes by this weekend.
Oops! is too late.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2019, 06:40 AM »
I found 3.5 to 4 in of good ice . 5 above here this morning and expected below zero tonight. Looking good for this weekend.
Oops! is too late.

Offline thorson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2019, 04:28 PM »
Well I made it out on Saturday and found 0-5 inches of ice. Fished on 3 different lakes and caught bluegills in all spots from 6 to 11 feet. Life jacket and spud bar were my fishing partners.  All lakes in central Otter tail county.  Come on cold!
Life is short, fish hard!

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2019, 07:16 AM »
Just read . 30 fishermen rescued on Red lake yesterday. Apparently wind opened up a crack.
Oops! is too late.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2019, 07:53 AM »
Just read . 30 fishermen rescued on Red lake yesterday. Apparently wind opened up a crack.

Yeah I heard about that, 7 to 8" out a mile or so but on a  big lake strong winds can really move some ice.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2019, 10:03 AM »
I saw the pictures, not something I would want to do . I wonder what happens to all their gear?
Oops! is too late.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2019, 10:16 AM »

Stay off big lakes with wind and early ice.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/outdoors/4767465-Anglers-rescued-when-ice-splits-on-Upper-Red-Lake

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 19, 2019, 10:52 AM »

We ended up staying further south last weekend and fished a bunch of mid sized lakes between Northome and Grand Rapids, all had pretty good ice, 5-7".  Got into some perch and a decent walleye during low light on a couple different lakes.  Surprisingly, not a crappie was caught.  Lots of pike and one chunky pout.  A few of the lakes on a well know  flowage were considerably high, and presented a good deeper 16-18' weedline to work from.

The first pic was Saturday morning, second on sunday just down the road.  You can see the warmup Saturday cleared the snow off the lakes pretty good.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 19, 2019, 10:55 AM »
Saw this just south of the Gosh Dam Place.  Drive safe everyone!

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2019, 08:37 AM »
Red lake was typical Red lake this past weekend.  We had about 10" everywhere we fished and found a solid spoon bite most of our 3 days fishing and plenty of deadstick action.  We went out of Beacon, JRs and then the State Park to mix it up.  We got 4 right around 23 between two of us, many many fish right about 17".  The DNR is recommending a high quality bump stick for when the regs switch over on Dec. 1st. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.