Author Topic: Northeast Ohio & Northwest PA Burbot Help  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
Northeast Ohio & Northwest PA Burbot Help
« on: Nov 23, 2012, 08:21 AM »
Being a new comer here and having never ice fished in this area before, I am at a loss as to where to look. did a lot of google fact checking but there is limited information out there  :-\

I read where Erie is seeing a decline in the population of Burbot due to lamprey and I also read where the central basin is increasing in the lacking of oxygen due to other outside influences. Doesn't sound promising  :'(

So my problems are many in my search for a good area to focus on. I am hoping someone out there can point me to the best bodies of water and give me their experiences for those bodies of water.

Thanks  :tipup:
This is why I left NY

"..you and others are free to pursue Big Foot for the purpose of documenting their existence provided none are harmed..." -- Mark Kandel, Regional Wildlife Manager, NYSDEC - Region 9

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
Re: Northeast Ohio & Northwest PA Burbot Help
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2012, 09:48 AM »
Spent 2 more hours reading everything I could find (so far) and see that panesville is a likely spot. Fairport Harbor gave up a couple of good ones recently and I am thinking that not many people are targeting them due to the lack of comments across many forums where the term burbot is used in the search engine. PA gets more action when that term is used in a search but people are either tight lipped about where they are fishing when talking about their successes or they are assuming that people know where they are fishing.

Very frustrating  :(

This is why I left NY

"..you and others are free to pursue Big Foot for the purpose of documenting their existence provided none are harmed..." -- Mark Kandel, Regional Wildlife Manager, NYSDEC - Region 9

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2012, 01:30 PM »
These threads just don't get too much traffic, I would think your local questions would be better answered in the state forums. 

Jake

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2012, 02:04 PM »
To be honest with you, I have Never caught or even heard of burbot being caught in NW Pa.  Not saying that it hasn't happened, but not where I fish.  Possibly Lake Erie has a few, but I concentrate on the walleye, perch and steelhead when I'm there.
Sorry, not much help..

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2012, 07:34 AM »
To be honest with you, I have Never caught or even heard of burbot being caught in NW Pa.  Not saying that it hasn't happened, but not where I fish.  Possibly Lake Erie has a few, but I concentrate on the walleye, perch and steelhead when I'm there.
Sorry, not much help..

By what I read, the PA law states that you cannot keep or attempt to catch a burbot on inland waters because they are endangered. All burbot caught and kept in PA are on Erie and thats where they are....so I read.
On a different forum. there was a lot of chatter about the burbot run around panesville and a bunch of people from  Ashtabula were fishing with success in some bay on the PA side.

Thats about what I know on the subject  :-\
This is why I left NY

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.