The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ft Peck Fishhouses  (Read 4200 times)

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Ft Peck Fishhouses
« on: Dec 08, 2007, 08:36 PM »
Here is a picture that i ran across. I thought i would share it with the everyone. I am guess this picture was taken in the 90's. When we used to go to Ft. Peck big time. Our trips back then would last 10 days to two weeks. There is probably at least two feet of ice. There was usually two guys to a house and each guy had his own wheeler. My house which I built myself and don't own anymore was second from the far end. As you can see some of the houses were just converted cargo trailers. We used to have some real fish fries and plenty of barley pops you burn a lot of calories ice fishing. We used to buy minnows by the 100 dozen and would cut big holes in the ice drop floating nets in the lake with wood covers just to keep enough bait.
    At that time i believe you could use 10 lines each and 10 guys it would take 100 minnows just to get started.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Re: Ft Peck Fishhouses
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2007, 08:42 PM »
Well, that's a dangerous lookin' bunch Big Ice...looks like the "Ice-Fishing Militia" boys  ;D :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2007, 09:20 PM »
Sweet photo, looks like quite the clan!!  Still wanting to get up there sometime if you're still game.  Might have to work on the house deal though from that last email LOL!

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2007, 09:25 PM »
Looks like a bunch of guys getting it done right!!!

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's A Friggin Record Breaker.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2007, 07:50 AM »
Oh the Good Ol Days. I'm wondering if i could write off a drop down House as a tool trailer?

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2007, 09:01 AM »
IcenEyes,
              That's not funny we had a guy that would empty his work trailer to go. He already had heat in it and used it a break room when he was doing a jobs out in the country. I have one now that i use to Elk hunt out of but its not a tool trailer, it's my hunting trailer, and if I decide to go back to the north i would take it. The only problem we saw with them was it did not sit down on the ice. We did have guys that would cut holes in the floors and put stove pipe to the ice. But it was tough to keep holes from freezing.

Here is my hunting trailer now.

Here was my dropdown trailer i built recently. I sold it to a good friend who wanted it pretty bad. I think I am going to miss her.

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2007, 09:11 AM »
Traxion,
           Maybe we can make it happen. I will email you.

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's A Friggin Record Breaker.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2007, 09:19 AM »
Big Ice, I was thinking of a 12' single axle and convert the axles myself. It would be better that a 8x8 Clam. Plus it would be easier to take the kids.
Are ya getting any fishin done?

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2007, 09:31 AM »
IcenEyes I can tell you this it is a lot of work to convert one of those cargo trailer over to a dropdown. A dropdown does not have a axle under it. It just has spindles and hubs. I have not been fishing. Still waiting for good ice, I used to get out on that two three inch stuff never fell through but someone was watching out for me. Now I am more patient, I guess you get that with age. I call it wisdom.
Going to Church. Be back latter. 

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2007, 09:48 AM »
Looks like a bunch of guys getting it done right!!!
Jimmyguns, what's the story on that MALS-26 decal? My son is a career Gunny of Marines out at Cherry Point MAS  :clap: :flex: :thumbsup: :bow:                              LT

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2007, 10:01 AM »

Here is my hunting trailer now.

Here was my dropdown trailer i built recently. I sold it to a good friend who wanted it pretty bad. I think I am going to miss her.

Big Ice, man, what a pair of sweet "roughing-it" rigs, I'm green with envy bro, me and my store bought ice-shanty  :sick: :roflmao:

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2007, 08:27 PM »
who needs Trap Attack when you have SHACK ATTACK!!!  

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2007, 08:58 PM »
Lt,
    Like I said I sold my dropdown fishhouse this fall. Now I just have a couple of collapsible houses and thinking about selling my Clam Guide. Then i would be down to one ice shanty pretty scary.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2007, 09:02 PM »
     I don't know if I could ever part with my clam, it's big enough for me and wifie...thing is if a high wind suddenly comes up, I 'm talking 35-40 MPH, you're kinda stuck just trying to hold the unit still, cleats dug in like toenails...until you can drop the top. Otherwise, it's the best ice-fishing investment I ever made.  :tipup:

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2007, 09:44 PM »
Big Ice, you must have a new master plan then?  One house would be wild.  Weren't you working on a new one last winter? 

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2007, 10:52 PM »
Traxion,
           I do have a different plan. instead of pulling the clam guide I am going to buy either a Eskimo or the ice cube 4 man pop up I like the height don't need a floor and they only weigh about 25lbs and I can just bungee it on top of my box on the back of my wheeler. Most of the time I don't use a house. If it is cold and I do bring a house, I will bring my Canvas craft suit case style 6' x 8'.  I have had it a long time old reliable, even slept in it for long weekends at peck. It does weigh around 80lbs folded up it is 4' x 6'. I do have to bring my snowmobile trailer to haul it. It was my old Ft Peck rig, if I can find a picture I will either post it or email  to you.
        Also I have an idea for a new dropdown house. 

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2007, 04:34 AM »
Jimmygunns, what's the story on that MALS-26 decal? My son is a career Gunny of Marines out at Cherry Point MAS  :clap: :flex: :thumbsup: :bow:                              LT
That was my old squadron from MCAS New River, NC when I was in (94-99).  Is he a MALS'ter also?  I knew a few guys up there @ CP, but not too many.  Fixed wing Harrier guys.  I floated w/ a bunch in '98 in the Med.  Was he always there?  PM me a last name if you want, it may ring a bell.  It's a small world in the Marines, & you'd be surprised how many times I've run into people that knew other Marines I knew, or knew me!

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:09 AM »
 Hey Big Ice
 I found the Eskimo 3 man pop up on a web site for $ 182.95 and they will ship for free. ( in the U.S.). I am campaining to the Mrs. for this....
 One of my friends brought his in and set it up for me. I really need one of these huts. I am thinking the six man is the one for me. It weighs just 38 lbs. Lots of room for an all nighter... :tipup:
let me know if you want that web site.
Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2007, 06:44 PM »
Wyoming_Ice,
                   Hey send me that web site! Sounds like a good deal. Thanks

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2007, 07:25 PM »
 Big Ice, I sent you a pm. I am not sure if you received it. let me know.
 Wyo Ice ???

Offline Big Mack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2007, 08:08 PM »
Hey Big Ice, is there anywhere other than MN to buy a drop down? What is the cost to build one?

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2007, 08:59 PM »
Big Mack,
             There are other States that do sell dropdown houses North Dakota I know has some. But there is a few different ways to go, You can just by the trailers. some will sell you just the suspension set ups. Some will sell you trailer and shell you then can finnish the inside the way you want.
         But just start surfing the net under fishhouses or dropdown trailers, ice house. But you are right MN. is into them big time. I think the one thing people overlook is that it can be used for other things. Summer camping, Spring and Fall hunting.
        The cost if you have all the right equipment, you can build one cheaper it is real hard to find much info on the suspension set up. The price is kinda up to you and what you want to put into it how fancy  you want it. But the big thing is time what is your time worth, I worked all spring and summer and into the fall to build mine. I did not work every day maybe a couple of hours here and there. I can tell you this after looking at it all year it gets a little old. I like to fish have other hobbies and live near a golf course. Not a big golfer, but i do like to golf. I can't tell how many times guys would stop by and say whoa dude you are a serious ice fisherman. Do you want to go golf? my response not today working on the fishhouse. Time what is your time worth. But you can build one cheaper.

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:16 PM »
I've got a friend that is building a drop down.  He is buying the suspension/drop downs from a company in Brookings, SD.  I believe he paid around $500 per side.  Haven't seen the setup yet so can't comment on them.  Big Ice had a sweet setup with his last drop down!

Offline Big Mack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:47 PM »
I agree Traxion, Big Ice knows his stuff!  Hey Big Ice, thanks for all the info. Seen a few on e-bay in MN.  Have a few relatives in MN so might have to hunt around little more.  Or just wait till spring time and build one the way I want......

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2007, 07:57 AM »
Here is a picture that i ran across. I thought i would share it with the everyone. I am guess this picture was taken in the 90's. When we used to go to Ft. Peck big time. Our trips back then would last 10 days to two weeks. There is probably at least two feet of ice. There was usually two guys to a house and each guy had his own wheeler. My house which I built myself and don't own anymore was second from the far end. As you can see some of the houses were just converted cargo trailers. We used to have some real fish fries and plenty of barley pops you burn a lot of calories ice fishing. We used to buy minnows by the 100 dozen and would cut big holes in the ice drop floating nets in the lake with wood covers just to keep enough bait.
    At that time i believe you could use 10 lines each and 10 guys it would take 100 minnows just to get started.

(Image removed from quote.)

awesome - that's what i call a fishing expedition

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2007, 05:11 PM »
Hey all you all that are looking for drop downs

Walkers in Shoshoni is a dealer for Ice Castle Fish Houses.  They rock and if you can afford them you can get pretty much anything you want.

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2007, 07:14 PM »
That was my old squadron from MCAS New River, NC when I was in (94-99).  Is he a MALS'ter also?  I knew a few guys up there @ CP, but not too many.  Fixed wing Harrier guys.  I floated w/ a bunch in '98 in the Med.  Was he always there?  PM me a last name if you want, it may ring a bell.  It's a small world in the Marines, & you'd be surprised how many times I've run into people that knew other Marines I knew, or knew me!
He was promoted to Gunny in the Harrier SQ couple years ago and there it appears he will remain forever. Prior to that he was in MALS-14 and VMAQ-1, which by the way, I really like the motto on their SQ coin, :"Tairngreacht Bas"  So, I said, "What does that mean to the enemy?" He said,  roughly translated, "We'll kick your --- ! ??? ;D Semper Fi baby!

Offline Perch Crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2007, 10:16 PM »
Wyoming Ice & Big Ice,

I bought a Eskimo QuickFish III for $159 today at Sportsman's Warehouse in Loveland.

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2007, 08:49 AM »
Great deal Perch Crazy, I have not picked one up yet.  But tell us how you like it. 

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 17, 2007, 08:59 AM »
 I need to get to Salt Lake and see if they have them there for that price. That's a smokin' deal. Thanks Perch Crazy  ;)
 Wyo Ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.