The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Spending the night on keyhole  (Read 1115 times)

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
Spending the night on keyhole
« on: Jan 13, 2022, 07:01 PM »
I know there are plenty of Wyoming shanty members who spend the night out on the ice. This was the first go for me. I figured I’d be okay in my -30 sleeping bag, with thermals on, a beanie on, and neck gaiter….well I still got cold. I figure I need an insulated shack and to just keep the heater on low all night with a door cracked, but frankly I was just too nervous to do it. The fishing was good though!

There’s also a link to the video below if you’re interested.

Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Spending the night on keyhole
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2022, 07:31 PM »
Tried it with the wife one night and with 2 dogs when we got all settled in the heater would shut off, oxygen sensor would kick it. Tried the top vents being open and still no go so pulled the shanty over by the truck stuck the dogs in the truck and had a breeze through the shack all night with a hole in one side of the hut that I could not get sealed up, was cold for sure and the wife said never again. They have come along way with the insulated shelters and see people sleeping in them with the heater going. We run  a couple heating buddies in the camper over night and the heater in the camper still runs at times so get air movement so it can work good and have seen guys get the monitors to run in the shack with them as well. Glad you still had a good time catching the fish though.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2022, 07:49 PM »
Life's too short to sleep on the ice- :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2022, 08:00 PM »
Tried it with the wife one night and with 2 dogs when we got all settled in the heater would shut off, oxygen sensor would kick it. Tried the top vents being open and still no go so pulled the shanty over by the truck stuck the dogs in the truck and had a breeze through the shack all night with a hole in one side of the hut that I could not get sealed up, was cold for sure and the wife said never again. They have come along way with the insulated shelters and see people sleeping in them with the heater going. We run  a couple heating buddies in the camper over night and the heater in the camper still runs at times so get air movement so it can work good and have seen guys get the monitors to run in the shack with them as well. Glad you still had a good time catching the fish though.

Yea I know that it all SHOULD be fine, I’m just the kind of guy that doesn’t like to really throw anything to chance. Risking my life on a 25 cent oxygen sensor on the heater just isn’t for me. I really figured I would be fine during the night and I guess I was…but definitely not warm and cozy! I’m just glad the heater kicked on in the morning!
Trent Williams

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2022, 08:00 PM »
Life's too short to sleep on the ice- :P

I may have just learned that!
Trent Williams

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2022, 10:10 AM »
I did this stuff in my 20's. Now I get a room. It take to long to get to the outhouse and get all those clothes off!  ;D
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline kienkhang1205

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2022, 01:55 PM »
We have camp on ice for 5-6 years now, camp 5-7 time a year, we use big buddy heater and a heat fan on top of the heater to blow heat around, and a small fan on top of the tent to push down the heat, open the 2 vent, insulated tent help and padding on the cot,,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.