Wyoming > Ice Fishing Wyoming

Your best tip/ Must have equipment

(1/10) > >>

appleye:
We had this topic a while back and of course I can't find it so I will start a new one with the equipment added.

My tip is to save the eyeballs of the fish you clean, salt them down with non-iodized salt (sea salt or kosher salt) put them in a zip lock bag with a piece of paper towel and use for bait (were legal to use bait). Stays on a hook very well, lots of smell, easy for fish to eat.

equipment: A couple years ago I got a big northern and all I had with to use was my hands to land. My fingers were shredded. My wife thought I needed stitches. LOL. So I went and got a cheap bog grip and have used it a lot on nice fish since, hand changer for sure!

So lets hear it while we start to get ready to play the rest of the winter.

phishmonger:
I'll bite!

Tip: Move! You don't necessarily have to swiss cheese a lake, but if the fish aren't biting in one hole, they might just not be there.

Equipment: Spud bar. With the springs and pressure ridges and wind out here, it pays to spud the ice ahead of you. Safety first and all that jazz!

hardwater diehard:
Couple tips...scale down the poundage of your quality fishing line ...add a Ballbearing swivel all cheap enough but the rewards are numerous.

DR.SPECKLER:
My best tip to be a good fisherman or doing anything in life is be patient and persistent with a bit of learning along the way.

WYIfish:

--- Quote from: appleye on Dec 04, 2020, 09:40 AM ---We had this topic a while back and of course I can't find it so I will start a new one with the equipment added.

My tip is to save the eyeballs of the fish you clean, salt them down with non-iodized salt (sea salt or kosher salt) put them in a zip lock bag with a piece of paper towel and use for bait (were legal to use bait). Stays on a hook very well, lots of smell, easy for fish to eat.

equipment: A couple years ago I got a big northern and all I had with to use was my hands to land. My fingers were shredded. My wife thought I needed stitches. LOL. So I went and got a cheap bog grip and have used it a lot on nice fish since, hand changer for sure!

So lets hear it while we start to get ready to play the rest of the winter.

--- End quote ---
hot tip, at flaming gourge we can't use a gaff hook but we can wrap a nylon on a stick to make a tooth catching device to bring a fish through the hole. I just called the game and fish and they confirmed that it is ok. the metal gaff is to protect the big lakers from getting holes in their mouths. Nylon wrapped on a wooden handle works pretty slick and costs next to nothing, just  wrap tightly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version