Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Live Baits and Plastics

Live minnows

(1/3) > >>

reelmaster:
I have never used livees before but how does everyone keep them alive in the bitter cold. Do they come in a special package or something?????? ??? ;D Definately considering for the next outing

kingfshr16:
 RM, i bought a Frabill Sit and Fish because of hte foam minnow bucket inside, the minnows seem to hold up pretty good inside of it, my thinking is because the foam is relatively thick (1-1.5" or so) and the bucket is on the outside it keeps them pretty protected from the elements.

hali-man:
If your bait won't stand the cold how are they going to live in ice water?
In the past I have acclimated bait fish to the cold, but this shouldn't be necessary if you buy from a reputable dealer...

grumpymoe:
i keep my live minnows in a plain old bucket...fresh purchased live minnows should gradually have ice/snow added to the bucket if you are fishing inside..this will eliminate shock when dropping your freshly hooked minnow from 50 degree water into just above freezing...even though they recover fairly quickly, not much point in having a less than active one on the hook....Grump

PIKEGUY:
Good point grump. I have never had any trouble keeping them alive. In fact, they seem to do better after they sit in the garage overnight and there's a little ice on the water in the morning. (As long as they get oxygen) my .02

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version