Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Making Ice  (Read 5188 times)

Randy Cox

Making Ice
« on: Dec 11, 2003, 07:58 AM »
I have read a few people on this site saying that snow does not help to build ice.  Besides the normal factors like Air and Water temp what other factors affect ice build.  And if they help would you please send some to Central IA. :)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:Making Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2003, 08:08 AM »
Wind is a major factor. It can keep the surface from closing up as the water pareticles cant freeze to each other. Also water current for the same reason.
Shes making ice here in NW IA right now, as its 1* outside.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline KeystoneICE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2003, 07:56 PM »
How long do you think it will before it is safe to go ice fishing.  I haven't been able to check any bodies of water and I am itchin to get out.
Time to fish.

Offline munchy71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2003, 09:02 PM »
I drove over Petoka on the way home from work tonight.  It was iced over from bank to bank.  Probably not very thick, but it's a start.  It's almost time!!

Munchy71
Rod Woten

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2003, 09:36 PM »
Petoka? where is that? I went ice fishing in IA for the third time today. So for u guys farther south it should be soon.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline munchy71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2003, 10:43 PM »
Petoka is the pit that was left after they built the overpass just north of Bondurant.  It's about 20 acres and is the closest place I can find that has perch.  Here's to hoping it stays cold!!!

Munchy71
Rod Woten

Randy Cox

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2003, 08:09 AM »
Munchy I am form around Boone and have not been able to find many lakes around here that have any perch in them.  Do you fish Petoka very often?  What other species can you find there?  I am always looking for a new spot to try out, any info would be appreciated.

Randy Cox

« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2003, 11:35 AM »
I stopped by hallets gravel Pit 3miles West of Boone on Highway 30 on my way back to work today. It was iced over all the way with 3" of Ice near the shoreline.  I didnt want to go to far not knowing what the thickness was farther out.  At what thickness would be safe to start fishing without fear.

Offline munchy71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2003, 12:16 PM »
Hey TC!

Welcome aboard.  I fish Petoka ALOT.  It's a close tie with Big Creek for my favorite, but it's hard to fish Petoka a lot of the time because it is so exposed to the prairie winds that whip across Hiwy 65.  I had to chase my ice hut clear across the whole 20 acres one year!!! Thank God there wasn't any open water! Petoka also has Crappie, Bluegill and Largemouths (although i've never seen any of the bass).  One of the locals set out several brush piles and a couple of stake beds last year prior to ice out, so the fishing should be even better this year.  Big Creek and Maffit Reservoir are both reported to contain perch, but i've never caught any @ either place.  If you're ever in the area and wanna check it out, give me a call...I'm always looking for extra fishing partners.  I'm sure that once I get done with shotgun season, I'll be spending alot of time out there.

As a point of interest for everyone else...it was so cold this morning that the DM River under the Euclid bridge was iced in!!!  That means our lake & ponds should be getting pretty close to thick enough.  WHOOPPEEEEEE!!!!!

Munchy71
Rod Woten

Randy Cox

« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2003, 01:18 PM »
Hey Munchy71,
Thanks for the invite, and the info.  It is always fun to try new waters.  Last year I fished the dam area at big creek a lot plenty of crappie and gils.  I was able to catch a few walleyes but most of them were to small.  I would like to try petoka so when I do I will look you up.  

Thanks again

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2003, 04:08 PM »
Yeah, I have seen perch from Big Creek and Maffit....state record was once from Maffit, but you couldnt prove it by me.  Their is just no real management of Maffit and the ones in Big Creek are few and far between and those that know where they hide are very tight lipped.  Plan to head north until I get good ice....will start at Little Wall, move on to Cornelia, Morse, or wherever....must catch fish!

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

Offline KeystoneICE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2003, 10:03 PM »
I have family north of Bondurant and I will be visiting them around Christmas.  I was just wondering if you like to show me were to go fishing at Petoka.  I would appreciate it.  Thanks.
Time to fish.

Offline IaCop

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I came, I saw, I fished....
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2003, 06:17 AM »
The ice has made it to the Waterloo area.  Went out over the w/e and found a good 2 1/2 "  Now if the fish would cooperate.

Randy Cox

« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2003, 11:06 AM »
Goody,

Where is Maffit?  I have never heard of this place before?  Is it a very large lake?  What Kind of fish does it hold, other than perch?

Offline munchy71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2003, 01:40 PM »
Hey youngicer,

I'd love to take you out to Petoka.  When will you be in town???  I will probably be out of town from the 24th to the 28th, but will be back in town on the 29th.  Let me know if any of this works for you??  That's assuming, of course, that the ice is good.  

-Munchy71
Rod Woten

haftafish

« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2003, 02:56 PM »
I just moved to the Des Moines area two years ago, and Big Creek has satisfied every itch i have had.  I went to lost lake saturday, and it had 2 1/2 inches - 3 inches.  I would guess there's probably 4 inches there now...below the dam between big creek and saylorville there is 5-6 inches of ice, and i caught about 30 gills, but only 3 were even close to keepers.  Kept me busy though, i could only run one pole at a time!  Keep the updates comin'!

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2003, 11:41 PM »
TCox-  Maffit is a city reservoir just south of Des Moines, west of the new south bypass.  A little tougher to get to from the interstate than it used to be, but still easy to find.  Just get off the first exit east off the south bypass (south I35, mile marker 68) and go just to the south, it is Maffit Lake Road...that takes you west and you cant miss it.  Nice lake, but tough to fish.  Either you find good fish or get skunked.  As I said before, state record perch used to be from there.  Bad thing is that it isnt managed and you cant put a boat of any kind on it, making it tough to really pattern to any degree.  Caught some good gills and crappie from there, lots of little bass, and saw a decent perch from there last year, but none myself.

Yeah, I know Big Creek like the back of my hand.....great fishery, especially with the fresh stockings over the last couple of years.  Too bad there are so many people on it that keep everything they catch.  Wish they would put on a panfish limit in interior lakes like they are instating in the Mississippi River....nobody needs 3 buckets full of fish....nobody.

No central Iowa ice to report and hate 30+ degree days in the forecast.  Oh well, at least I got out this past weekend....Morse 4-6", Interstate Park Pond 6"+.

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

Randy Cox

« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2003, 08:33 AM »
Haftafish- You said that you fished between the dam at Big Creek and Salorville.  I have never heard of anyone fishing there.  How deep is that channel?  Is that a place that can be fished regularly or is that just because the lack of ice elsewhere?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.