Author Topic: Recipes...Prepping and Cooking them up. Yummie!!!  (Read 818 times)

Offline k2muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Recipes...Prepping and Cooking them up. Yummie!!!
« on: Oct 28, 2012, 04:55 PM »
Now after you've done this to prep your days taking...we've yet to try this...keep saying I will but still haven't

Prep-em Perch in 10 seconds:

Now onto the prep for cooking:

After searching and experimenting, I finally IMHO cracked the code for a great Beer Batter Recipe for our catches.

But with this recipe you'll have to experiment to get it to your liking. We're not into super spicy food but food with a good flavor and a titch of a bite.

OBTW Shorelunch Beer Batter is Awesome...wish they had it here...takes all the measuring above out

If fish fillets are frozen thaw overnight in fridge. About half-an-hour prior to cooking take fish out of bag and complete thawing on paper towel.

Remove all excess water/ice at this time and pat the fish dry. I don't run the fish under water. (water and hot grease don't do well)

I use a Presto deep Fryer solid white Crisco (blue can). Any deep cast iron/fry pan will work but you want to make sure the fish are totally covered with hot oil and not resting on the bottom of the fryer or pan. I use about 1/2 can Crisco for about 3-4" of hot oil.

Now for the ingredients, mind you adjust to your taste...here's the basics.

1 to 3/4 can beer of your choice
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne powder

Mix all dry ingredients together good. Then slowly pour in beer slowly mixing to get the batter texture you desire

thoroughly coat fish fillets in batter and immediately place each piece in hot oil totally covering each piece making sure they do not rest on the bottom of the pan. Also don't allow the fish pieces to initially touch each other or else they'll stick to each other.

Depending on size of fillets, 2-4 minutes total time turning fillets as they cook. Larger pieces you'll have to adjust the cooking. Once the batter is 'golden' brown the fillet is good to remove.

Once the first batch is done place on paper plate with paper towel and lightly cover with another paper plate turned upside down.

I'll use the left over batter to make little crispies as I call them and sprinkle on the fish and the the serving dish...kinda like what you'd get at Long John Silver’s.

So there you go but again experiment, experiment, experiment with the seasoning to your is liking. We have finally mastered it for our taste buds. My kids who don't like fish will even eat fish...so what does that say.

The above recipe has been delicious for the fish we like to eat; Perch, Crappie, Blue Gil, Cat Fish and of course Walleye.

I also can be lazy and will order Shorelunch Beer batter heres the link...wish I could find this stuff here in Utah...I stock up when back in South Dakota.

http://www.soupsonline.com/p-1192-shore-lunch-beer-batter-fish-batter-mix.aspx

;) ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.