Author Topic: hook setup for nighttime walleyes  (Read 8190 times)

keeper

hook setup for nighttime walleyes
« on: Feb 06, 2003, 03:10 AM »
any secret setups , do you use glow in the dark. stinger hooks jigs. I  been fishing for years in northern mich but yet to catch a walleye through the ice. yesterday ,a few perch and 2 lawyers.
this a cool forum I just joined.I can keep a secret ;) and may your flags fly high. :'(

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
Re: hook setup for nighttime walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2003, 03:21 PM »
I just use a shiner fished a foot off the bottom.  As for the glow jigs....walleye by nature are night feeders and probably don't need a glowing jig to find your bait.  If you feel it helps, by all means use them, but they probably aren't necessary.

Offline tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On, EH
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2003, 02:59 PM »
I like to raise my line a couple of feet off bottom at night. Perch will suspend up off bottom at night because they cannot see as well as the walleye. The walleye will come up to feed on the perch. Fishing too close to the bottom at night will guarantee you a ling or two.
*REMOVED*
Born to Fish, Forced to Work
<')(((((>{

Mr.Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2003, 09:45 AM »
You're right crappie_attitude walleye do feed alot at night and I think thats the only time they'll want to feed because I go out sometimes early in the morning thou myself maybe around 3 then fish until 8 and come back for breakfast then go out again for panfish.

klein

« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2003, 04:11 PM »
I fish in the georgian bay area, about 2 hrs north. I do set up about 3 ft off the bottom, I had more luck that way, there eye are set up more upward than downward.

I dont use glowing lure, or other light related lure

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2003, 05:56 AM »
My experience has shown that walleyes tend to move in shallower at night. I fish in 5 to 10 feet of water with shiners for bait.I set the depth at half the depth of how deep the water is under the hole.Remember that they can always look upward. I don't use any weight on the line other than a heavy duty swivel to attach the leader to. Due to the fact that I only fish at night for them, I have my tip-ups rigged with lights. That helps you keep your distance from the rigs, and keeps noise and light to a minimum.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
Re:hook setup for nighttime walleyes
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2003, 09:04 AM »
any secret setups , do you use glow in the dark. stinger hooks jigs. I  been fishing for years in northern mich but yet to catch a walleye through the ice. yesterday ,a few perch and 2 lawyers.
this a cool forum I just joined.I can keep a secret ;) and may your flags fly high. :'(
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
Re:hook setup for nighttime walleyes
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2003, 09:16 AM »
at first ice, i use a medium blue shiner.  i like using glow in the dark hooks, the size reccomended for minnows, forgot the name of the hooks, attach a barrel swivel 18 inches above hook.  put a split shot between swivel and hook, hook minnow on 1 pole just behind dorsal fin through back, on other pole hook minnow in the stomach, be sure not to hook into organs it will kill minnow.  i always put 2 red clunker beads on line before tying on hook, theyre the glass beads that are sold for carolina rigs for bass.  set 1-2 ft off bottom and deadstick, ive never used a tip up but im planning to this winter.  the struggling minnows will make the beads clack together and attract attention.  it never hurts to use stinger hooks, i sometimes do if i remeber to get some.  just let the stinger dangle freely below minnow, it will lodge in walleyes mouth when he sucks it in, i also catch alot of slab crappies this way.  good luck  8) 8)
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.