Author Topic: Wheel-House Door Latch Freezing!  (Read 648 times)

Offline tarfu43

• IceShanty Rookie
Wheel-House Door Latch Freezing!
« on: Jan 28, 2014, 12:02 PM »
So I was at LOW last weekend with the wheel-house, and by day 2, the door latch was frozen solid!  We couldn't get-out until we removed the interior coverplate and heated the mechanism with a Bic lighter.  Granted, the temps were -10 degrees F, and there was a 30mph wind blowing directly at the door, but I don't think this should be happening. 

Has anyone experienced this, and if so, how did you prevent it in the future?

Thanks!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Wheel-House Door Latch Freezing!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:29 PM »
Following different forums many have had that problem. About all you can do is spray WD 40 into it and try to get rid of the moisture. Condensation is what is causing the problem. Some have tried to deflect heat from the heater towards the door, depending on your set up maybe it is an option.

I have never been locked in mine but can see where that would bite the big one. I have been locked out enough that I always carry a small torch just in case. I have the regular locking knob and a dead lock. Both will freeze if I don't keep after them.

WS

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2014, 07:33 PM »
we always bring a little turbo (plumbers) torch with us and will heat it up with that whenever it gets frozen!

Carefully, mind you!

CI

Go Beavers!

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:25 PM »
do not use wd-40.....any liquid lubrication is still prone to freezing, use a graphite based lube after drying it out......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.