Author Topic: Another pop-up shanty conversion!! UPDATE PIC 12/21/11  (Read 12390 times)

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Another pop-up shanty conversion!! UPDATE PIC 11/14/11
« Reply #30 on: Nov 14, 2011, 01:48 PM »
Joe,

Thank you!

I assume you are referring to the trim around the windows... The windows have built in J-channel.  They are vinyl windows from Menards (like a Home Depot) that I got on sale for $24!!

Not sure what you mean about blocking???

Yes, the roof will be the same steel as what's on the sides.

My heat source will be a 10,000 BTU propane wall mount unit http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/product_detail/heating-cooling/heaters/propane/pro-com-10-000-btu-ice-house-heater  My uncle put this unit in his shack and loves it, plus I think it's on sale for $100 right now.

I do plan on running electric wiring.  I will set it up so that it can either run on a deep cycle or generator.  A buddy used a large CAT battery to power his unit, so I might do something similar just not as big.

I would have loved to do wood, but propane is just so easy and quick.  Nothing beats the smell of a good wood fire burning and going home smelling like a smokey mess :)

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #31 on: Nov 14, 2011, 02:17 PM »
Willie,
Very nice realy like the windows ! Nice price ! I used the old windows from the pop up and had to trim them out.
Love the smell from the woodstove ! Not worried about sweating from the propane ? Did you put up a vapor barrier ?
   Alot of ? Just want to see how others did it .
         Joe
---- Joe ----

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 14, 2011, 02:31 PM »
Thanks!  I like how the white pops on the green.

I would have loved a little pot belly in mine, but Im trying to make it simple and maintenance free so i can focus on getting my son on the ice and enjoying it.

No, between the 4 windows and the vapor barrier i think I'll be ok.  I'll be insulating it as well with 1.5" pink foam.

No prob on ?'s, that's how we all learn and get ideas right!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Nov 14, 2011, 02:33 PM »
Nice work Willie!

I want to build something similar next summer, you gave me some ideas for when I wrangle up my materials.

Oh, and I suggest painting the roof panels black. FREE HEAT when the sun is shining.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

surflizard

« Reply #34 on: Nov 14, 2011, 02:44 PM »
Nice looking shack right there Willie, Its really come together, Great job ! :thumbsup: That dark green color will absorb heat almost as good as black ! You doing notched and folded steel studs for your roof rafters ?

Surf

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Nov 14, 2011, 02:50 PM »
Thanks.

Yup, just nipped the center of the stud, folded it to get the slope and bevel cut each end.  Then I used some track for the bottom of the truss.  Once I screwed the stud to the track, i bent over the ears of the track onto the stud and put another 2 screws in.  That roof ain't goin' nowhere without a fight.  I originally didn't want any framework inside the shack, but I think i'll make use of those 2 tracks for a shelf or something.

surflizard

« Reply #36 on: Nov 14, 2011, 02:56 PM »
Good plan, having overhead storage is a good thing, I used to store all my cooking gear up there in my old hard side, There are a bunch of trim detail diagrams on Joes Pop up build post if ya wanna check em out ?

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Nov 14, 2011, 03:36 PM »
That dark green color will absorb heat almost as good as black !

Surf

Oh, well pay no mind to my suggestion then.....
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline androwildfire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Nov 14, 2011, 05:22 PM »
Great lookin shack. If you don't mind me asking how much was all the material ?

Offline fisherman_chuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 14, 2011, 05:30 PM »
Are you gonna have it to lower on  the ice?

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #40 on: Nov 14, 2011, 07:35 PM »
If you look at the post of the 2600lb shack somewere on these first couple of pages of shacks tips you will see picks of my converted popup shanty built right on the knee walls.

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 15, 2011, 07:13 AM »
My guesstimate would be $700.

I thought about building it on the walls of the camper but that just wouldn't have been as strong and stable.  There is hardly any structure on those walls as well as the this unit have a plastic front and rear cap with absolutely no structure.  So a full steel box camper would probably be ok, this did not qualify.

surflizard

« Reply #42 on: Nov 15, 2011, 07:26 AM »
Wise choice Willie, your design will last pretty much forever barring any unforeseen accidents !

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 06, 2011, 01:04 PM »
Here is an updated photo!

I have insulated the interior, purchased my sheeting for the inside as well as my new propane heater and fish house hole covers.  All I need to do is put it all together!

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
Re: Another pop-up shanty conversion!! UPDATE PIC 12/6/11
« Reply #44 on: Dec 06, 2011, 01:21 PM »
Wille,
   Looks great ! How are you planning on doing the inside for comfort ?
     Joe
---- Joe ----

rickl1968

« Reply #45 on: Dec 06, 2011, 01:26 PM »
Nice little shack.

Well done on the outside. Keep us updated on the inside.

surflizard

« Reply #46 on: Dec 06, 2011, 02:06 PM »
Fantastic job Willie, thats a sharp lookin shack right there !!  :thumbsup: Got a name for her picked out yet ?  ;D

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 06, 2011, 02:18 PM »
I plastic vapor wrapped the entire exterior including the roof before i installed the steel siding.

I then used 1.5" pink foam insulation between by 1 5/8" steel studs, and 1" up in the roof.  I used great stuff to fill in all of my gaps.

I picked up some 1/4" Luann last night on sale @ Menards for my interior walls.

I bought 3 nice Ice House plastic hole cover units from Fleet Farm for my floor holes.  I also bought my 10,000 BTU thermostat propane heater from Fleet as well.....comes with 10' of hose!!

The only thing i must get yet is some low pile indoor/outdoor carpet @ Menards.  I have used a certain kind/type for my travel trailer under the awning and i really like how it holds up and doesn't mold or anything during storage.

If i get all that done before Jan. i'll be a happy guy :)

Now I just need this warm weather to GO AWAY!!!!

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Another pop-up shanty conversion!! UPDATE PIC 12/21/11
« Reply #48 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:41 PM »
Hey guys, just an update!

I finished paneling the entire interior finally.  For the walls i did 1/4" Luan (sp?)  For the ceiling, i was going to do the same as the walls but then Menards had a sale on the tongue and groove pine for under $5.00 a pack of 8' sticks.  So the ceiling cost me less than $20 and i was able to get full length sticks in and around the truss cross members.  If I would have did paneling I would have had to cut it up in pieces to get it over those cross members.

I also got the heater installed and it works like a charm!  I just need to find a recirculating fan to get that air down to the floor for sleeping at night.

Tonight I scored another awesome deal at Menards.  I went there to stock up for shanty goodies (carpet, caulk, CO2 monitor, etc) and stuff for around the house.  I bought the carpet which was on sale for .46 cents a sq. ft.  Well when i got home i thought, boy that was cheaper than i thought for everything.  So I am looking at the receipt tonight and I realize she only charged me for 1 sq. ft. of carpet vs the 87 i actually bought (had alot extra since it's a 12' roll).  I kinda feel bad, but if she's not paying attention, why should i feel bad.  I am hoping to get this installed tomorrow night.

My buddy also got me (2) 33AH SLA (sealed lead acid) batteries.  I plan to build a shelf to hold my camera and vex and I plan to build a space for the batteries so when electronics get low i can tap into that.

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #49 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:48 PM »
Willie,
  Looking very nice ! Ceiling looks awesome ! Haven't done my ceiling yet but now I know how I may finish it !

---- Joe ----

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:58 PM »
Joe,

You can't go wrong with that stuff for the ceiling.  It's cheap, thin/liteweight, and super easy to work with.  Plus the best part is that you gut the rustic cabin feel  ;)

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #51 on: Dec 21, 2011, 10:11 PM »
Willie ,
I couldn't agree more it looks great ! You got me thinking after seeing your wheel well covers that I built my boxes to big ! Mine are like 24 in long . I did it that way because that's where my framing stopped (steel ) did you do something different underneath or is your metal fram that close ?
---- Joe ----

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #52 on: Dec 21, 2011, 10:12 PM »
looks grate.

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 21, 2011, 11:24 PM »
Willie ,
I couldn't agree more it looks great ! You got me thinking after seeing your wheel well covers that I built my boxes to big ! Mine are like 24 in long . I did it that way because that's where my framing stopped (steel ) did you do something different underneath or is your metal fram that close ?

Joe,

Those wheel covers are the ones that came with the pop-up that i started with.  The frame does come that close.  But even if they didn't i would have just extended the floor to where i wanted and then mounted those covers.  There is a 3/4" flange all around them, so i caulked and stapled it to the subfloor for extra security.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:45 AM »
Love the inside Willie, well done!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #55 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:59 AM »
That is one  awesome build!! Can't wait for the photos of it when it's all finished!! As you said; now you need cold weather and ice!!  :clap: :thumbsup: :bow: :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline flounderhead59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 22, 2011, 08:14 AM »
First of all, your work looks great. As a guy that doesn't use a perm shanty I am slightly confused about a couple things though. This is going to stay on the tires while on the ice? If so, then how do you fish out of it or is just for a base camp type thing? Are there stabilizers on the corners to keep it from flipping up (like it you were standing on the edge away from the tongue)?

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 22, 2011, 11:02 AM »
Yes, this one is not a drop down trailer.  There are fishing holes inside the shanty.  You open the covers, drop your sleeve into it which creates a wind barrier between the bottom of the shanty and the top of the ice.  As for stabilizers, you don't really have to have any.  Typically trailers are setup where 80% or so of the trailer is in front (towards the tongue) of the trailer.  I can stand on the bumper of my shack and not lift the tongue up.  However, I will be adding stabilizers at some point just for more rigidity and wind.

Offline Big - D OBG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Dec 22, 2011, 11:53 AM »
Ceiling looks great

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 22, 2011, 11:55 AM »
nice looking good build

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor