Author Topic: What Suit to buy...??  (Read 4703 times)

Offline MookieB

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What Suit to buy...??
« Reply #30 on: Oct 05, 2009, 09:04 PM »
I would really like to buy the camo Arctic Armor, is there anywhere to buy it cheaper than $339.99??? Thanks guys, Mooks

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Oct 06, 2009, 10:06 AM »
My husband and I both wear the strike master suit. They are really warm. Last year we were out and it was about -30 degrees with a 30 mile an hour head wind, we rode the 4 wheeler out on the ice the only thing that got cold was my face and hands. Since I bought this suit I have not been cold once.

Offline Hard stuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Oct 06, 2009, 08:01 PM »
After a little research on the floating suits I found nothing that says they are coast guard approved or rated for weight, even the Mustang suit.

Am I missing something here? 

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #33 on: Oct 06, 2009, 08:13 PM »
OK, Artic Armor floats, it can save your life!!! Very comfortable, very warm! The only thing I can think of to knock it, is I wish it had a pocket on the upper front part of the bibs. No arguement, just the facts...(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Hey Bart or anyone that wants to chime in,

Sounds like you already own an Artic Armor suit. How long have you owned one and honestly what recommendations would you make to Artic Armor to improve their suit? Are there any other than the pockets up top on the bibs. Thanks, I see your point by the way. I'm a bibs guy and like the top pockets or some pockets anyways.
I'm interested in details.

I just watch the video on the suit and am very curious about after someone  has owned one for a while, what would they do different (that goes for any suit for that matter) or recommendations one would make to the companies.

Thanks in advance,
JIGGIN.

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Oct 06, 2009, 08:15 PM »
Another negative with the AA is that it doesn't breathe.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Oct 06, 2009, 10:50 PM »
I have been wearing the Cold Snap (Vexilar) suit for a few years now and have absolutely no complaints. I fish regardless of weather conditions and have been plenty warm and dry so for the money spent I'd say it is as good as you will find. The roomy bibs and comfortable knee pads are great - plenty of reachable pockets. The jacket was obviously designed by an ice fisherman - plenty of storage and easy to get to pockets. With it being an insulated jacket a lot of clothing isn't necessary so a light layering will work fine.

I really like the features of all the suites that have been mentioned previously so I would recommend going out and trying on as many of the different brands as possible. Not all the suites fit the same and since they all basically do the same thing (with the exception of the suites that float - great feature!!) it comes down to how comfortable you want to be and what kind of money you want to spend.

Good luck in your search - it is an investment that will be well worth your money the first time you are on the ice and are comfortable and your buddies are not.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #36 on: Oct 06, 2009, 11:27 PM »
I wasn't pointing a finger at you, just saying that you will never get a group to agree on who makes the best suit. IMO AA is cheaply made, I'm not gonna buy a suit cause it floats either.

I take it you've never gone broke threw on the ice. I went threw once and that is the exact reason I bought it. Figured if it works once it's worth a life savings. 

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #37 on: Oct 07, 2009, 06:44 AM »
I take it you've never gone broke threw on the ice. I went threw once and that is the exact reason I bought it. Figured if it works once it's worth a life savings. 

Exactly! I have fell threw twice. Once with about a foot of ice everywhere else, while ice fishing most of the morning??? And Trapping beaver in February when have checked several times, 4". A PFD early and late? Do you wear it every time? Take it off after fishing awhile and feel confident? My Floatation is with me all the time, Artic Armor...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Oct 07, 2009, 09:17 AM »
Yes, I have broke through the ice up to my arm pits. If your so worried about floating, why not wear a coastguard approved inflatable life vest.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #39 on: Oct 07, 2009, 06:30 PM »
My advise to prevent going through is a good sharp chisel. That's being proactive. Check the ice before you take a step. Ice picks, Float suits, PFD's, Ropes, all that stuff is reactive (after the fact) but still a good safety measure. Never gone through thanks to my chisel and if I do, I want something to get me arse out.

I'd still would like an answer to my earlier question:
"after someone  has owned one (suit) for a while, what would they do different (that goes for any suit for that matter) or recommendations one would make to the manufacturing companies".

I think everyone likes what they just bought but after time, you start to see improvements thru "field testing" or see what others have and wish you did. It's interesting to see the different kinds of improvements people come up with.

JIGGIN.

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Oct 07, 2009, 07:58 PM »
My advise to prevent going through is a good sharp chisel. That's being proactive. Check the ice before you take a step. Ice picks, Float suits, PFD's, Ropes, all that stuff is reactive (after the fact) but still a good safety measure. Never gone through thanks to my chisel and if I do, I want something to get me arse out.

I'd still would like an answer to my earlier question:
"after someone  has owned one (suit) for a while, what would they do different (that goes for any suit for that matter) or recommendations one would make to the manufacturing companies".

I think everyone likes what they just bought but after time, you start to see improvements thru "field testing" or see what others have and wish you did. It's interesting to see the different kinds of improvements people come up with.

JIGGIN.
Good call on the chisel. I owned the blue ice armor suit. Loved the suit in temps above 10 degrees. Otherwise its not warm enough, especially with the wind wipping. The quality was great and was completely waterproof as I never got wet even kneeling in an inch of water late ice. All the pockets are great too. This year I'm buying the strikemaster suit cause its a little warmer but costs less then the grey ice armor.

Offline blackbeast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Oct 07, 2009, 08:08 PM »
carhardt suit the warmest thing on the market imo. only bad thing is wont float, aint water proff, and it wont really save your life. But if your safe and your dillagent about were you go and what you do and the ice conditions there is no need to have a float suit. I cant say that I have ever went threw fishing but I have been threw plenty of times fishing cars out of the drink. Its when you get careless is hen you go threw. I always wave the spud bar with me and always have the spikes just incase. and never go alone!!! alway on first ice or first trip on a new lake two guys in front about 10 feet apart with sud bars chipping holes. but be safe out there and catch some fish
thats the biggest smelt i've ever seen 

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Oct 07, 2009, 08:58 PM »
I am too in the market for some cold weather wear, and frankly I don't know which way to go anymore. ???

I don't want to look like an ice clone, shoot some of these suits are getting as common as the shacks! It almost feels like wearing a uniform to a team that I don't belong too! Clam, Vexilar, and Strikemaster all have their own versions. It sure is nice stuff though, any of those brands will keep me warm. :-\

Sno suit is nice, but I could buy a beater car for less $$$ :(

IDI Arctic Armor floats, but it seems a little thin for all the ATV and snowmobile travel I do.

Snowmobile jackets are tough and warm, but they are covered in logos and I hate that. They also seem to always be short on pockets too.

Carrharrt, good old Carrharrt! I have not one bad thing to say.... except they soak up water. :'(

If I don't figure something out soon, I will be wearing Carrhart bibs with the knees blown out and a blaze orange Hush Hide deer hunting jacket! I am starting to lean towards the Ice Armor grey suit because it seems to be good quality and it doesn't make me look like a blinky billboard for a circus show. I guess I will see how it turns out.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #43 on: Oct 07, 2009, 09:14 PM »
Yes, I have broke through the ice up to my arm pits. If your so worried about floating, why not wear a coastguard approved inflatable life vest.

Well, to be truthful I had a good pair of camo carharts, and wasn't the one who bought it. After my wife saw an article on the AA suit, and the guys talking about the time I went through the ice she bought a suit for me. Now after having a 2 1/2 year old and a 4 month old child and wife to take care of views on things tend to change. I'm not saying the other suits don't do the job, It is just my own personal opinion that The AA suit does a good job keeping a person warm and adds the safety feature of flotation. So y not buy it. Besides, it sounds like you have a beef against the AA suit......Why?

When I went through the ice, I was totally under with ice chunks over my head. I was scared crapless, and all I could think about was how $crewed I was. Thought I was dead. After that I was afraid to go on the ice for a long time. A floating suit gives me a peace of mind, and allows me to enjoy my time on the ice.

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Oct 07, 2009, 10:18 PM »
Nothing against AA. I'm just stating my opinions on what suit i FEEL IS BEST FOR THE MONEY.

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Oct 07, 2009, 10:19 PM »
Another thing, the vex and strikemaster suits are the exact same suit, with different logos and the vex hood comes off.

Offline Hard stuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Oct 07, 2009, 10:31 PM »
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the north face suits and jackets .I have one jacket that has kept me warm and has lasted for like 6 years now ,looks like new too .price tag 600 bucks that's a hundo a year so far.Not bad IMO.

Guys are climbing Everest with this gear why hasn't the icefisherman caught on ? discuss............   

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #48 on: Oct 08, 2009, 05:24 AM »
Here the pic of metioned jacket

http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=38848&storeId=207&catalogId=10201&langId=-1&from=subCat&parent_category_rn=11702&variationId=0C5

You bring up a good point. I have Northface gear as well as OR (outdoor research) gear. Great stuff without a doubt. Mountain Hardwear, Marmot etc...all awesome gear. Even EMS and LL Bean have great stuff too.
Now they are coming out with clothing targeted at the ice fishermen. That's why I'm asking "after someone  has owned a suit for a while, what would they do different (that goes for any suit for that matter) or recommendations one would make to the manufacturing companies for improvements". I'm asking cause I wanted to compare to what I'm running now. I'm looking for durability, warmth, true waterproofness, comfortable etc...

JIGGIN.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #49 on: Oct 09, 2009, 05:15 PM »
I've used the Cabelas Alaskan Guidewear bib overalls and parka for years and like them a lot.  They are Gore-Tex, water/wind proof and breathable.  Mine are uninsulated, which I like as I can layer as needed under them.  I use them for other activities besides ice fishing, so I didn't want the insulated version.

They come in different colors, so you don't feel, as earlier posted, like a walking advertisement for a team you don't belong to.

I've also used the Walls insulated coveralls, which work too, but aren't water/wind proof.  They are better than nothing, especially in dry, nonwindy, frigid conditions.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Oct 09, 2009, 11:35 PM »
Arctic armor hands down

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Oct 11, 2009, 07:54 AM »
I have the strikemaster hardwater suit. If you look into it, it has nearly every feature that the ice/arctic armour have, i mean come on its the strikemaster name you know its gonna be top of the line..it looks sharp, wind and waterproof. I stay warm on the st. lawrence in the -F' and with a nasty windchill. Lots of pockets too. Look into it!

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Oct 11, 2009, 08:55 AM »
I'm going to be getting the Vexilar suit this year.  I have friends that have them, and love them. 

Yes we may look like a team out there... We all have Clam Yukons, and now most will have the Vex suits, a mix of Vex and Marcum units, all have Polaris ATVs- but I don't care.  They work.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.