Author Topic: What Suit to buy...??  (Read 4708 times)

Offline NiagaraJiggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Rods Bent !!
What Suit to buy...??
« on: Aug 30, 2009, 09:57 AM »
So...I am finally going to break down and buy my last piece of ice gear I need...an ice/arctic suit.

I have been pouring over all the old posts and doing some research online. The fact is, there is quite a bit of bias out there and I can't get a confident feel for which one to buy. If they are all mostly the same, is it just wise to buy the least exepnsive ? There are many types....Arctic Armor, Ice Armor, Simms,...etc....

I am looking for real life opinions and first hand use of these products from all you folks...give me the good AND the bad of what you currently have so I can make an educated purchase for this year....thank you all
Keep Your Rods Bent !!
~NiagaraJiggin~
Master Forest Owner Volunteer
NYFOA Member
Creator of the Swoongie Fishing System

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What Suit to buy...??
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2009, 10:02 AM »
I run all Ice Armor for the last 7 years and never had a problem with it ..  now it gets a lot of use though out the year i'll be looking for a new suit my self..( knees and starting to give way but the rest of the suit looks like new yet..
Hard Ice

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2009, 10:32 AM »
I have used the Arctic -Armor red suit for the last three seasons with no problems and it will float you if needed!

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline Hard stuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2009, 10:41 AM »
Ice armour X suit is what I have now . Its a very durable suit , great for the person that hole hops and spends most the time out of the shanty .

Offline ice 45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2009, 10:50 AM »
I have the stikemaster suit and love it, it's very warm only thing i wish it did is float but other then that geat suit at a good price.

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."

Offline db1561

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My weekend home!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2009, 11:38 AM »
I use the Arctic Armor.. At first I had some issues with cold spots but with the suggestions from this site I figured out it was just to small... Also my brother uses the Ice armor (Blue suit).. And in my opinion the Ice Armor is better built and designed for the following reasons:

1.) the coat is longer so it doesn't ride up when you sit down 
2.) The stitching is way more durable throughout the whole suit 
3.) The outer shell is a little heavier duty.
4.) and the hood is more of a snorkel type (longer) keeps the side wind from hitting your face.... 

But you can't beat the security of the flotation advantage of the Arctic Armor and for the few short comings I stuck with Arctic Armor..

In short if the Ice Armor could float you I would get one of those hands down!

Do yourself a favor and search this site for both suits you will find a whole lot of info!

Good luck! ;D

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2009, 12:06 PM »
How can the coat ride up and let cold air in ? My suit came with bib pants then again I ordered it in my normal size with room to layer.Also most of the time I fish with my trap top down and the Arctic- Armor
coat off unless its really cold and windy.

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2009, 12:21 PM »
I have the Arctic Armor and am very pleased with it.  It is my first ice fishing suit, so I have nothing to compare it with.  I'm 5'8" and about 170# and ordered the Medium bibs and jacket, but had to trade the jacket for a large.  I'm very pleased with them, having used them about a dozen times last year.  You do need to layer under them a bit or the jacket will feel cold on your shoulders. 

I am very pleased with the IDI Arctic Armor and would purchase again.

Jeff

Offline db1561

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My weekend home!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2009, 12:53 PM »
How can the coat ride up and let cold air in ?

I sometimes fish with just a bucket and pole... and when I sit on the bucket and reach forward my coat rides up and I have to pull it down..... I never said anything about letting cold air in??  it just is un-comfortable.

The man just wanted some opinions on some suits and that's what I gave him.  I'm not trying to start the ice armor vs. arctic armor debate (again)  ;D

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 30, 2009, 04:23 PM »
 Like Skeeter Jeff I also own the red and black Artic Armor. My height is the same but I'm ten pounds heavier (180) , I have the jacket and bib overall in medium the floatation feature is what first got my interest, since the suit runs around a hundred dollars cheaper then a low end survival suit. No complaints so far I will tell you that the suit is not rated as a floatation device by the U.S. coast guard also not considered a survival suit.
  Here is a hyper link to IDI gear the suits manufacturer you will find a sizing chart and dealer locate feature. Personally I like to try on clothing especially with the price of these suits. I purchased mine at Fish307 in Lake George,NY.
    www.idigear.com

I hope this is of some help to you have a great ice season.        Steve

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 02, 2009, 08:29 PM »
Check out the dressing for ice fishing section ....

Something I posted a while back...

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=86692.msg1146774#msg1146774

Offline NiagaraJiggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Rods Bent !!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 04, 2009, 07:44 AM »
are the sizes listed for the suits accurate without underlayers or with underlayers. for example...If I am normally a medium, should I get a large due to haveing jeans and a t-shirt and overshirt ?
Keep Your Rods Bent !!
~NiagaraJiggin~
NYFOA Member

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #12 on: Oct 04, 2009, 08:18 AM »
are the sizes listed for the suits accurate without underlayers or with underlayers. for example...If I am normally a medium, should I get a large due to haveing jeans and a t-shirt and overshirt ?
thats what stinks about having to order stuff like that its nice to be able to try stuff on first , this year i'm going to buy the ice armor suit but the closest place that sells them is 2.5 hrs away

Offline NiagaraJiggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Rods Bent !!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 04, 2009, 10:09 AM »
I will probably meander over to Gander Mountain in a couple minutes - it's across the street from me basically

you're right mealworm - it's nice to try them on first and see which one fits best. You are in the middle of "no-wheresville" just like I am going to be in a couple weeks as far as sports stores are concerned
Keep Your Rods Bent !!
~NiagaraJiggin~
NYFOA Member

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 04, 2009, 02:46 PM »
I have Clams Ice armour its a good suit. If you wear med. go large for layers. I,m sure all the suita are good, as long as they can stop the wind from gettig through your golden. For me I just wear a selfinflating floation vest under the jacket because the vest I use year round. Buy the best you can afford.
Bob P.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #15 on: Oct 04, 2009, 02:48 PM »
I have been wearing an ice armour suit for the past 4 seasons or so, and I have no complaints, wears well, takes abuse well. what more can you ask for

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Oct 04, 2009, 03:12 PM »
Buy the pinstripe with the matching blue tie. Dress for success, I always say ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #17 on: Oct 04, 2009, 03:40 PM »
I have the Artic Armor in camo, love it! I bought it at the Syracuse Ice Show and was able to try it on.  For such an investment, it will be worth the drive and a great show to boot!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 04, 2009, 11:57 PM »
Arctic Armor Camo....It floats.....Could save your life.....well worth it.....none of the others do........is this really a hard desicion?

Offline DanAKAL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 05, 2009, 05:35 AM »
"Come With Me Little Girl On A Magic Carpet Ride"

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 05, 2009, 05:44 AM »
I've got the Ice Armour X suit. I do a lot of my fishing out in the open without a shack. At times it is almost overkill. I've been out in 0  degree with wind blowing at 15 to 20 and I've been comfortable. I don't have to do a lot of layering either. Long john, jeans, Tee, and sweat shirt.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 05, 2009, 08:24 AM »
I find this a very interesting thread. I'm in need of a new ice fishing jacket this year as my old one is finally ripped out. My bibs are still good.

I keep leaning towards the Arctic Armor due to the floation as I do very early ice fishing as well as late season too. First on, Last off.

Keep the debate alive. I not completely sold yet.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
JIGGIN.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 05, 2009, 08:59 AM »
The last time I was at the kittery trading post,they had clothing with floatation panels built in but it was as expensive as the artic armour.                       James

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 05, 2009, 01:52 PM »
   You need to check out the Snosuit bibs and parka .  This is not the cheapest suit , but if your looking for the warmest and best designed , look no farther . 

If you looking for the best suit for the money , Strikemasters Strikeware is tops .  If you watch the site  they often run specials where you can buy top or bottom for $75 each .   I have this suit and have never gotten cold .  They are waterproof , not resistant like most others , polar fleece insulated and have more pockets than you can ever fill .
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #24 on: Oct 05, 2009, 04:56 PM »
i was told by a dealer that sells the vexlar suit,sno suit,strikemaster suit articarmor and the ice armor suits he told me that hands down the best suit to buy was the icearmor he said that the vex and SM suits the knee pads where down fast and also they leak and that the AA suit rips at the seems easily and that the sno suit was just too expensive and not any better than the rest of the suits

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 05, 2009, 05:24 PM »
i was told by a dealer that sells the vexlar suit,sno suit,strikemaster suit articarmor and the ice armor suits he told me that hands down the best suit to buy was the icearmor he said that the vex and SM suits the knee pads where down fast and also they leak and that the AA suit rips at the seems easily and that the sno suit was just too expensive and not any better than the rest of the suits
People can argue this point over and over. The strikemaster and vex suits are the best there is FOR THE MONEY, and I know alot of people with the vex and strike suits without any holes in the knees, and they spend a ton of time on the ice. I had the blue suit and liked it, except on really cold windy days, thats why I'll be buying the srikemaster suit this year. If I had lots of extra cash, the snowsuit is the best by far, no matter what that dealer tells you, look at the quality for yourself.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #26 on: Oct 05, 2009, 06:33 PM »
People can argue this point over and over. The strikemaster and vex suits are the best there is FOR THE MONEY, and I know alot of people with the vex and strike suits without any holes in the knees, and they spend a ton of time on the ice. I had the blue suit and liked it, except on really cold windy days, thats why I'll be buying the srikemaster suit this year. If I had lots of extra cash, the snowsuit is the best by far, no matter what that dealer tells you, look at the quality for yourself.
i'm not trying to argue i was just stating what i was told,i myself don't have one of these suits yet i just wear carharts but i am looking to buy a suit,the problem i have is that the only suits available in my area are the AA suits and i wasn't to impressed, so i have to go by what i read on IS or go by what i'm told by the people that sell these suits, again the last thing i want to do is argue

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 05, 2009, 07:56 PM »
i'm not trying to argue i was just stating what i was told,i myself don't have one of these suits yet i just wear carharts but i am looking to buy a suit,the problem i have is that the only suits available in my area are the AA suits and i wasn't to impressed, so i have to go by what i read on IS or go by what i'm told by the people that sell these suits, again the last thing i want to do is argue
I wasn't pointing a finger at you, just saying that you will never get a group to agree on who makes the best suit. IMO AA is cheaply made, I'm not gonna buy a suit cause it floats either.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #28 on: Oct 05, 2009, 08:25 PM »
OK, Artic Armor floats, it can save your life!!! Very comfortable, very warm! The only thing I can think of to knock it, is I wish it had a pocket on the upper front part of the bibs. No arguement, just the facts...

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #29 on: Oct 05, 2009, 08:27 PM »
I think I am going to get a blue suit this year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.